Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,784 times

Advertisements

I recently started a job in Lynwood/Compton area and am trying to get advice on the best area which I can commute from daily. Most days I won't have to be to work till about 9:30, but will most likely be heading home between 5pm and 5:30. I spend a lot of my free time outside of work in the Pasadena, El Sereno, Silverlake or Hollywood area. I don't want to be driving a few hours each way daily, but I also want to be able to conveniently get to the other areas which I enjoy easily. I would like to move to an area that I can feel safe as a mid 20 year old female. I don't care about night life, but do enjoy fun coffee houses, art, live music and tend to steer away from to much suburban feel. My price range for a 2bed places is 1400 to 1800 a mo. Any ideas of good areas to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM

689 posts, read 2,581,797 times
Try South Pasadena, Alhambra, San Gabriel, Pasadena. It's not too bad of a commute down the 710 from this part of the San Gabriel Valley and your nearby the other areas you want to be.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM

672 posts, read 2,175,080 times
Of course, there is always Lynwood. That's close to your work.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
san pedro, long beach, el segundo, cypress, cerritos...

Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Morningside Park area of Inglewood.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:40 PM

916 posts, read 3,699,752 times
Belmont Shore

Old 10-07-2008, 03:57 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,663,530 times
check long beach. but not north long beach as it is a bit more suburban than lower long beach. downtown LB has a very nice pedestrian feel to it. a lot of pockets with neighborhood ammenities like shops and boutiques, coffee, etc. long beach would also be close to both cpt and lyn.

you can also try downey. they have a small downtown with shops and such, but it is a bit more suburban feeling with cul de sacs. it def feels like suburbia.

i would suggest stayin south of your work place as the commute might be better. but with the freeways you never know. at least staying south of cpt and lyn you have major thorough fares that are easily navigable and less trafficed. the grid in the southern part of the county is less complicated and less dense. the further north you go the more dense it is. and the further west you go the more TRAFFIC there is.

but if you like the area around el sereno you can always live there and shoot down the 710, except the 710 is awful most days, (but clears up pretty quickly), and it is also infamous for the most trailer related accidents of any LA freeway. the 710 is used by disproportionate amounts of big rigs at every hour of the day and night. it gets dangerous sometimes.

there are plenty of nice places to live its just a matter of what you like. how dense of an area are you looking for? block after block of apt complexes? are you looking to live in a bungalow duplex style house. rent a house. condo? apt? things to think about.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 PM

126 posts, read 365,854 times
Sounds like your in the same boat as me. My office recently moved to Compton and I live in the Palms area of West LA. West LA used to be a great place and still is if you like aging hippie/yuppies, 70's music,high prices,perfect weather and the ocean. It sounds like you might be more into an urban thing so you may consider South Pasadena for more of a hip urban community. I am considering moving to Pasadena myself and the commute is almost exactly the same in miles from Compton as from West LA. The one problem is that the 710N stops at Valley Blvd then you have to go east on Valley then north on Fremont of Atlantic to Pasadena. This is where you might find it difficult. I already tested during the holidays and made central Pasadena in about 1/2 hour, although traffic after the holidays could be worse in that little stretch of side roads. I'm going to try again later this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles