Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 AM

2 posts, read 12,401 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm potentially relocating to LA from Australia for a year, work would be in the Arcadia area.

Can someone tell me, are the freeways in LA continually blocked (its the impression you could get from reading some of the postings) or is there a pattern to it, like morning rush is all toward downtown LA itself and afternoon is all away?

Thanks, Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 02:58 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD297 View Post
Hi, I'm potentially relocating to LA from Australia for a year, work would be in the Arcadia area.

Can someone tell me, are the freeways in LA continually blocked (its the impression you could get from reading some of the postings) or is there a pattern to it, like morning rush is all toward downtown LA itself and afternoon is all away?

Thanks, Mike.
No, they aren't continually blocked, however traffic can be dreadful. There are worse places like Tokyo. I won't even start about South American cities. It isn't all the time. For me, I live as close to work as possible and don't drive on the freeways during rush hour unless absolutely necessary. If you must, you just learn to pace yourself and become as patient as possible. Arcadia is a nice place to live, you also have Pasadena, Sierra Madre (and San Marino if you can afford it). I learn to plan my freeway trips around the most congested times. If I do have to travel during these times, I have good surface street routes mapped out. Best thing to do is ask the locals when you land. Driving in L.A. is pretty instinctive for me. I have 3 freeway areas I avoid like the plague during most daytime hours but that's about it (there are many places I never go).

Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
Mike, all of what Sorcerer68 said is true. Let me add that because our freeways are at or very close to capacity even during "non-peak" hours like midday, if there is the least problem, such as a stalled car in one lane, it can back up traffic very quickly. On many of our freeways there is no shoulder on either side for disabled vehicles, because the shoulders were used to create one or two more lanes to increase the traffic flow. If it rains, accidents increase exponentially. And yes, surface street routes help tremendously.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:15 AM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Don't expect the traffic to be "as good as" San Francisco, Boston, or San Diego because we have 7 X's as many people here (with no other major transportation system).

Old 02-14-2007, 06:48 PM

652 posts, read 2,804,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD297 View Post

Thanks, Mike.
The traffic is very bad. It will get to you eventually.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:45 PM

625 posts, read 2,436,034 times
One of the biggest sellers at Best Buy or other electronics retailers is the "virtual traffic maps" which give live updates and recommend alternate routes. They're not cheap (I think some go for as much as 400-500 bucks) and require monthly subscriptions, but if you travel much around the LA basin they're a MUST.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Agreed...not all the time, but much of the time, and it can be unpredictable. For instance, you'd expect things to be clogged roughly 7AM-9:30AM, and 4:30PM-7-ishPM, for rush hour. But if you set out on any freeway, my own banes being the 10 and the 210, after 2PM you're probably going to run into stopped traffic at some point, and you will also find the off days where you're sitting there stopped at twelve in the afternoon wondering what the h*ll is going on.

It's kind of rough.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 12,401 times
Thanks for the replies guys, but no has actually told me which direction the rush hour flows in. Does it "rush" in to downtown LA in the morning and out at night, or in all directions?

The closest I've come to it, besides pasing through LAX, is looking at Google Earth and it looks extrememly spread out. Its hard to guess which way the traffic is heading.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
The traffic is usually heading towards the city of Los Angeles and within a five to ten mile radius, towards West Los Angeles, freeways along the coastal areas, San Fernando Valley, and parts of middle to coastal Orange County. Then the opposite is in the evening.

Go to sigalert.com and you can find your average speed for a potential commute for yourself.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:04 AM

127 posts, read 925,002 times
From one Aussie to another: The traffic in LA is as crazy as an Ants nest before a rain storm, mate. I live in Southern California, although not in LA. I've driven there a number of times and I have to say it sure is an adventure. People cuts lanes randomly, traffic is HORRIFIC during peak hour, and Californian drivers are mental. They use road rage for an outlet against the ridiculous traffic. Here is an example of LA traffic: I recently went on a trip from LAX. Driving down there it took me a little over an hour with parking, I went at about 10pm. Coming home...the plane flew in at 6pm, on the road at 6:30, it took us untill almost 11pm to get home!!! Yeah, the traffic is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles