Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Cali?
If you love Cali 89 70.08%
If your Jealous of Cali 12 9.45%
You just hate Cali 27 21.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:44 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Los Angeles was built as an urban sprawl, not really built for keeping everything as close as possible. And as effective as New York is at transportation and density, I'm sorry I wouldn't want that place. It's impressive to see, all of the big buildings, I love tall skyscrapers, it looks fantastic. But to LIVE there? I have to be able to drive. You can't drive in New York, all you see is a sea of taxis, because you wouldn't dare drive around in the middle of New York -- there's nowhere to park! It's a total disaster.

I have known a few people who left Southern California because of the "materialist culture" or because they don't feel it's a "warm and fuzzy community" or whatever. Honestly, I like it this way, I like it that people are more competitive, have a greater sense of style, and aren't all a bunch of goodie two-shoes simpletons. I'm not for excessive materialism, i.e. spending money you don't have, but I'm all for people driving the best cars, living the high life, etc. That's what it's all about. I majored in philosophy, I know all of the different belief systems and philosophical debates, but I still want as much money and as much power as I can possibly acquire. Los Angeles is a great place to do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 16,353 times
It costs too much to live here, example: the house I'm in right now cost $6k when it was built in 69, now it's estimated at $400k, thats friggin' rediculous. It's "real world value" is ~$90k. It was up to $550k at one time. And, anyone that would pay, let alone "ask" $250k for a condo needs a mental evaluation, seriously.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:12 PM

105 posts, read 469,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
That's so funny because when I have went to New York I just think, god, what a concrete jungle, I would never live in a place like that. You can't even drive! Who cares about their public transportation, I'm not taking public transportation. I'm driving from Point A to Point B, the simplest way you can get anywhere. I hate the East Coast and most people there seem way too uptight, have no idea how to drive, they use horns just because they're angry (like they will literally honk at people in front of them when the light is red, just because they're angry that the light is still red!). So the feeling is mutual. They can keep their coast -- like a famous man once said, "If the founding fathers had landed on the West Coast, the East would still be a barren wasteland." So true. Nobody would have crossed the continent for that crap. They tore down all of their forests, they have nothing left, it's just a big strip-mined, ugly, bad weather, pretentious, boring Coast. Fine for visiting, but who would want to live there?! I'd rather live in Canada.

I thought I was alone but Whoa! Slow down a bit.......hahaha. Don't want New Yorkers to come on here and start chest-thumping. We will never be able to get rid of them. With that said you know I can't stand to hear when people say that San Francisco is/feels like an East Coast city. Even Dave Chappelle said it in one of his stand-up comedy shows. The Manhattanization of downtown S.F. isn't helping, however, but is that suppose to be a compliment? PLEASE!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM

105 posts, read 469,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah, Los Angeles was built as an urban sprawl, not really built for keeping everything as close as possible. And as effective as New York is at transportation and density, I'm sorry I wouldn't want that place. It's impressive to see, all of the big buildings, I love tall skyscrapers, it looks fantastic. But to LIVE there? I have to be able to drive. You can't drive in New York, all you see is a sea of taxis, because you wouldn't dare drive around in the middle of New York -- there's nowhere to park! It's a total disaster.

I have known a few people who left Southern California because of the "materialist culture" or because they don't feel it's a "warm and fuzzy community" or whatever. Honestly, I like it this way, I like it that people are more competitive, have a greater sense of style, and aren't all a bunch of goodie two-shoes simpletons. I'm not for excessive materialism, i.e. spending money you don't have, but I'm all for people driving the best cars, living the high life, etc. That's what it's all about. I majored in philosophy, I know all of the different belief systems and philosophical debates, but I still want as much money and as much power as I can possibly acquire. Los Angeles is a great place to do that
" but I still want as much money and as much power as I can possibly acquire. Los Angeles is a great place to do that [/quote]"

......and that's exactly why their children will be back

Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
no winter.
good job market
lots of pretty girls
but kind of like living with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no winter.
good job market
lots of pretty girls
but kind of like living with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.
My analogy:

Southern California is kind of like an ex-wife; Things started out fine; We had good times together; In some ways I still love her. No doubt she's hot.

But I just can't stand living with her anymore.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:46 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe banana View Post
It costs too much to live here, example: the house I'm in right now cost $6k when it was built in 69, now it's estimated at $400k, thats friggin' rediculous. It's "real world value" is ~$90k. It was up to $550k at one time. And, anyone that would pay, let alone "ask" $250k for a condo needs a mental evaluation, seriously.
$250,000?! You can't get any condo for that price! I'd much rather live in a condo than a house, first of all, and I would pay $3 million for the right penthouse condo. Not right now, but in the future, that's definitely what I want. Condos are a great investment if you can get in at the right price in the right place. It's a much better investment to have a $500,000 condo in downtown L.A. than to have a crappy $650,000 house in Burbank or Sherman Oaks or something.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:56 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My analogy:

Southern California is kind of like an ex-wife; Things started out fine; We had good times together; In some ways I still love her. No doubt she's hot.

Mine:

I can't believe she's going out with me. She's hot and brilliant and worldly and wise. The sex is incredible. Please God, don't let her be crazy!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:28 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My analogy:

For somebody who can't stand California anymore ... you sure talk about her A LOT ...

Hell ... you post more here than the other forums.

Maybe it's obsessive compulsive disorder or ... maybe you just miss this place more than you want to admit.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
I love California, but i voted Jealous. I'm not smart enough to make it in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles