Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Cali?
If you love Cali 89 70.08%
If your Jealous of Cali 12 9.45%
You just hate Cali 27 21.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I think how well you do in another state depends on your personality, hobbies, and your research. I hear plenty of stories of people who moved out of state almost sight unseen and come back quickly. Well who's fault is that? Someone who's really into the SoCal beach culture probably won't be happy anywhere else no matter how nice it is. But if you do your research, take the time to get to know a new place both before and after you relocate, and can adapt to new surroundings, chances are you won't be back. The majority of people I know who've left haven't returned. And that includes some people for whom the cost of living isn't an issue.
This is true, some people don't do enough research on where they are moving to. And that includes people that move TO Ca with these false expectations or just not realizing how different it is from where they came from. A site like this is so helpful to get a wide array of opinions on what a place is like. I'm gonna try to the east coast b/c from what i've read and gathered it sounds like my personality might fit in their more so than here. Plus I'm the type of person that appreciates what a place has to offer rather than get all hung up on how its different than where I came from, which i think is very important to liking a new place. But at the same time its hard for me to imagine not ever coming back here b/c I do love this state but mainly b/c it's where all my family and childhood/college friends are and that is important to me. I already feel I live to far away from my family being in San Diego and being from the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:35 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I think how well you do in another state depends on your personality, hobbies, and your research. I hear plenty of stories of people who moved out of state almost sight unseen and come back quickly. Well who's fault is that? Someone who's really into the SoCal beach culture probably won't be happy anywhere else no matter how nice it is. But if you do your research, take the time to get to know a new place both before and after you relocate, and can adapt to new surroundings, chances are you won't be back.
Agree 100% I think the last part is true regarding any relocation.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Default Happy transplant

Third generation native here who moved away from what cali has become.

I grew up in the fifties and 60's when socal wasn't the solid suburb it has become. The crime rate was such that you didn't have to watch your kids in the front yard. I knew my neighbors. That is the California that I remember.

There is a steady stream of native californians leaving the state for the midwest and south. Not everyone stays, but a great many do and will trade beaches and mountains and everything a quick trip away for some peace and quiet.

If you are happy in cali its fine. Everyone has a choice. I'm not bashing my native state, just saying its not for me anymore. I'm sad it changed so much that I don't recognize it anymore, but that is past and done.

I didn't vote because I don't hate or love cali. I cherish my memories but love my house and big yard and meeting neighbors in a month that I would have probably not in ten years. I'm not one of the people who went out to movies or did the exciting things you can find. I wanted peace and quiet and have found it.

But I think its true that most of the 'bashing' is from those who have left, want to leave, or are in the process. Those who know what it was and know its not there anymore.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:33 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,795 times
I love Ca but yes high expensive cost of living is what i hate. In O.C. houses are 700k. With 700k i could get two houses in the Dallas Area.If houses were 300k In Ca people from other states will definently Move here.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:37 PM

Californication- Red hot Chili Peppers..Song of the Day. City of Angels-Red hot Chili Peppers follows after.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:34 PM

72,413 posts, read 18,200,999 times
California is so spread out,there is something for everyone. If you don't like one area,try somewhere that suits your personality.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
California is so spread out,there is something for everyone. If you don't like one area,try somewhere that suits your personality.
very true.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:09 PM

72,413 posts, read 18,200,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
very true.
Yes! very true! there is a place for everyone

Old 10-10-2008, 09:09 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
If houses were 300k In Ca people from other states will definently Move here.
To be honest ... I don't want people from other states to move here. The last thing we need is more sprawling strip malls and housing tracts.

Let the people who want cheap go to those other states ... it's fine by me.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:14 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
what do you think why Cali get bashed alot is its because People from other States are jealous or they just Hate us.Or do you love California,And explain Why?
To be honest, the people who bash California are mostly redneck, knuckle dragging, ignorant conservatives with little to no education who need to leave the state anyway ... that is, if they haven't left already.

When they do leave, apparently all they can do is complain about California ... mostly because they're living in these god awful places that none of us Cali natives could be caught dead in. So of course, they're jealous.

They can whine and complain all they want ... I'm happy living in paradise.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles