Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Cali?
If you love Cali 89 70.08%
If your Jealous of Cali 12 9.45%
You just hate Cali 27 21.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:50 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonM View Post
WOW that was RUDE!!! and by the way, not eveyone who is fed up with CA is a redneck uneducated conservative. and BTW sorry but most conservatives are more educated than liberals. most liberals are "liberal" if you will, because they want the government to be their DADDY. OC is the most conservative place in CA and I highly doubt with all the money in that community they are uneducated.
Tell you what. I'll start a thread bashing the state of Texas in the Texas forum and we'll see how rude people can be. Texans are adamant about defending their state ... I'm just doing the same.

As far as the education level of conservatives, maybe you can explain this to me because, quite frankly, a lot of it is just plain dumb.

These people go on and on about how horribly liberal California is. Are they just clueing into the fact that California is a liberal state? Is this somehow news to them? Or, have they been hiding under a rock for several decades?

Because like duh ... California has always been a liberal state. What is the point of relentlessly complaining about the blatantly obvious? If they hate it so much, why don't they move?

Then they go on and on about the illegals. Do me a favor and drive down the 101 sometime through the farm lands of the Central Coast. You won't see a single Obama sign ... but you'll see plenty of McCain signs. Where are these signs? Posted by the big farmers in their fields. The same big farmers that bring millions of illegals to this state every year.

Are these farmers liberal? Absolutely not ... they're Republicans. Big time Republicans who are big time campaign contributors. But do the California bashers clue into the fact that their fellow conservatives are bringing these illegals here by the millions? Hell no ... it's got to be the entire state of California's fault ... especially the liberals.

Which brings us to another absurd conservative rant: that somehow California is the only state in the union with an illegal problem. Like moving somewhere else is somehow going to rid them of illegals all together. Not gonna happen. Corporations are going to profit off of illegals no matter where you go.

And last, but not least, the cost of living argument. Oh god ... they moan ... it's SO expensive to live here.

Well, as a conservative, are you a free market capitalist or not because ... no matter how many of you leave ... the cost remains high because the demand to live here is high. What do you want the state to do ... start regulating the COL? Oops ... that's supposed to be a liberal thing ... isn't it?

And you're telling me that these people are supposedly educated? I don't think so ...

Last edited by sheri257; 10-11-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:07 PM

72,412 posts, read 18,199,776 times
What is the point of bashing?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:16 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
Quote:
As far as the education level of conservatives, maybe you can explain this to me because, quite frankly, a lot of it is just plain dumb.

These people go on and on about how horribly liberal California is. Are they just clueing into the fact that California is a liberal state? Is this somehow news to them? Or, have they been hiding under a rock for several decades?

Because like duh ... California has always been a liberal state.
Um, Yeah.

Just curious, where do you think Richard Nixon & Ronald Reagan are from?

California was a red state until 1992.

Duh indeed

Quote:
And last, but not least, the cost of living argument. Oh god ... they moan ... it's SO expensive to live here.

Well, as a conservative, are you a free market capitalist or not because ... no matter how many of you leave ... the cost remains high because the demand to live here is high. What do you want the state to do ... start regulating the COL? Oops ... that's supposed to be a liberal thing ... isn't it?

And you're telling me that these people are supposedly educated? I don't think so ...
There's cost of living and then there's the burden placed on individuals by the taxes and regulations of the state. I don't think anyone begrudges market driven costs, its the layering on of heavy taxes -and how they are then spent/wasted by Sacramento-that is the problem.

I'm sure you are educated enough to see the difference, right?

Old 10-12-2008, 04:18 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
To be honest, the people who bash California are mostly redneck, knuckle dragging, ignorant conservatives with little to no education who need to leave the state anyway ... that is, if they haven't left already.

When they do leave, apparently all they can do is complain about California ... mostly because they're living in these god awful places that none of us Cali natives could be caught dead in. So of course, they're jealous.

They can whine and complain all they want ... I'm happy living in paradise.

Hey, I just thought this was funny. I don't care if people love LA or hate it or want to move in or out. I do hate to see personal experiences portended as objective truth. Just qualify your views.

To answer the OP: Yes I do. Why? Electric Feel!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Um, Yeah.

Just curious, where do you think Richard Nixon & Ronald Reagan are from?

California was a red state until 1992.

Duh indeed

There's cost of living and then there's the burden placed on individuals by the taxes and regulations of the state. I don't think anyone begrudges market driven costs, its the layering on of heavy taxes -and how they are then spent/wasted by Sacramento-that is the problem.

I'm sure you are educated enough to see the difference, right?
I'm assuming you've never heard of Jerry Brown either? C'mon .... for awhile Texas elected some Democrats also but does anyone for one moment mistakenly believe that Texas was or ever has been liberal state? Of course not.

And don't delude yourself into thinking that other states don't tax and waste taxpayers money either. All you have to do is pick up a newspaper to figure that out.

Let's talk about those regulations that these conservative "entrepreneurs" love to complain about.

The truth is: they don't want to pay a living wage, they don't want to have to pay overtime, they don't want to give meal or other breaks ... and they certainly don't want to have to pay health or any other benefits to their workers ... among other things.

Fact is: they can get away with not doing these things a lot easier in states other than California. And if that's what they want fine ... California is going to be much better off without you.

But don't insult my intelligence and tell me that California is somehow going to suffer because you're taking your crappy jobs out of state. The other states can have you, thank you very much.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-12-2008 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,073 times
[
Quote:
quote=sheri257;5656330]I'm assuming you've never heard of Jerry Brown either? C'mon .... for awhile Texas elected some Democrats also but does anyone for one moment mistakenly believe that Texas was or ever has been liberal state? Of course not.
Most people know "dixiecrats" were not liberal. The South was democrat because they held a 100 year grudge against the party of Lincoln.

Quote:
And don't delude yourself into thinking that other states don't tax and waste taxpayers money either. All you have to do is pick up a newspaper to figure that out.
Yes, but Sacramento is in a class by itself

Quote:
But don't insult my intelligence and tell me that California is somehow going to suffer because you're taking your crappy jobs out of state. The other states can have you, thank you very much.

Off the top of my head I can think of 5 big corporate or division headquarters that have recently left So Cal - Nissan USA, Computer Sciences Corp., Conagra, Lincoln Mercury and Masterfoods. All took hundreds of HIGH PAYING professional & executive jobs with them, not to mention the thousands of solid middle class corporate staff positions as well. Are these the crappy jobs your refering to?

Old 10-12-2008, 06:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Off the top of my head I can think of 5 big corporate or division headquarters that have recently left So Cal - Nissan USA, Computer Sciences Corp., Conagra, Lincoln Mercury and Masterfoods. All took hundreds of HIGH PAYING professional & executive jobs with them, not to mention the thousands of solid middle class corporate staff positions as well. Are these the crappy jobs your refering to?
Raytheon (Hughes from Canoga Park to Tucson), Lockheed (Burbank to Georgia), ....
"Late last year, Boeing Co. decided to keep its Rocketdyne unit in Canoga Park due to the work force and the cost of moving. The rocket engine manufacturer was considering moving to Alabama, where Boeing tests the Space Shuffle main engine, or to Mississippi, where rocket engines are tested.

"Part of any business plan is looking at options for growth and cost control," said Dan Beck, a Boeing spokesman. "That includes looking at options such as moving facilities."

While Boeing left Rocketdyne in place, it chose Decatur, Ala. to site a 1.5 million-squarefoot assembly plant for its Delta 4 rocket program. The state paid for access road construction and employee training."
from

States hungry for defense step up local recruiting. (31-MAR-03) Los Angeles Business Journal

Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Paradise lost...there is now a reverse dust bowl. We see MANY Californians moving here to Connectiuct. Whouda thunk it? It used to be one way...from CT to CA...
Typical second-tier thinking from further down the chain. I hear it from Oregon and Arizona, too. You get all the people who ***** about immigrants and traffic. There are even more people moving in to California than are being forced out.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Typical second-tier thinking from further down the chain. I hear it from Oregon and Arizona, too. You get all the people who ***** about immigrants and traffic. There are even more people moving in to California than are being forced out.
You need to look at the interstate migration trends. California is a net loser of population within the USA. California's growth comes from international migration (legal and illegal) and births.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:56 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
I Love Cali! I think many people bash it because they're envious. Most Americans don't live in a state that offers near what Calif offers. Who else has wineries, skiing, ocean, lakes, canyons, beaches, culture, arts, major entertainment, desert, nice weather, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles