Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 11:10 AM

4,874 posts, read 10,019,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Just a question: why would Brentwood which is in LAUSD be preferable to Santa Monica which has its own district for raising kids? IMO, anywhere within LAUSD would be undesirable for raising kids unless you have a ton of money and private school prices would be affordable.
Apparently the Brentwood-area elementary schools are uniformly solid, but Emerson MS and University HS pale in comparison to the charter middle and high schools (Revere and Palisades).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 33,017 times
Thank you so much for all of the advice on different areas. I knew that some of you would be helpful....and I didn't get laughed off the board lol so I know that there must be some possibility in being able to do this.

We are going to take a trip out there at the end of the summer, or in the fall...we will make it a Disneyland trip, and then use a few days to check out some areas.

I am thinking in the end it might be better to think about Orange County as it seems to be more family friendly, more of what we might be looking for. (We have two little ones ages 3 and 7.)

There are job opportunities for us pretty much anywhere in the country as the husband has a specialized profession that not many people do. It is me who is the one finishing up college...and when I am done, I will defnitely be able to work and bring up our salary.

I am all about pretty surroundings and nice weather...something you don't have where I am lol.

The first post was pretty cut and dry, I was trying to get the basic facts out of the way without being too longwinded (which I tend to be lol)

Any suggestions on nice, family type areas with good schools to live in in OC... keeping in mind we will be renting and living on 100k for awhile?

I am not looking to move right away...but I want to do as much research as possible. it is a probability that we will be looking to move out of state in about 2 years or so, but that could go either way. If it was up to me, I would leave now lol. But I want this all to be well planned.

Thanks again for your help, I am still hopeful that we will be able to do this.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:28 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,453,553 times
Thumbs up Numerous Options With 100 K

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyDiver View Post

Any suggestions on nice, family type areas with good schools to live in in OC... keeping in mind we will be renting and living on 100k for awhile?
Aliso Viejo, Aliso Niguel, Mission Viejo, San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente, Rancho Santa Margarita, Brea, Dana Point, Fountain Valley, Huntington Beach, Irvine, Laguna Beach, Laguna Hills, Laguna Niguel, Lake Forest, Los Alamitos, Newport Beach, Seal Beach, Tustin, Village Park.

Your income allows you to have a great lifestyle in California, and you have many options on great places to live! Congratulations friend, welcome to Southern California, you won't want to leave once in a great area.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 33,017 times
dusesean1986,

Thank you so much for such an encouraging post! I will look up each and every one of the places listed. I really appreciate your positivity!!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,118,505 times
If you do decide to take the Beverly Hills job, I second the idea of looking for a place to live just over the hill in Encino and Sherman Oaks. Those are both nice areas and you'd be easily able to find a rental in your price range there.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,453,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyDiver View Post
dusesean1986,

Thank you so much for such an encouraging post! I will look up each and every one of the places listed. I really appreciate your positivity!!
No Problem! I am happy to help!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM

283 posts, read 1,190,564 times
I would recommend checking out Thousand Oaks and Camarillo for both rental and purchase of a home. I'm just starting out in the area myself and found it cheaper to purchase a brand new townhome in Camarillo than the rent I am currently paying ($2100 2/2 waterfront in Port Hueneme). Do not have an opinion on the OC from lack of experience for the area there. Both of these towns are somewhat country and many of the people living here are on horse farms a little further out of town in the mountains. The newest section of Camarillo is on the southside closer to Beverly Hills and has the best school district too. Thousand Oaks is even closer to BH and is very nice in my opinion, also has a direct route to Malibu and Santa Monica without staying on the 101 which has an awful rush hour but it seems to actually only last an hour unlike many other areas here and my old home of Atlanta which never stopped. Anyway most of the rental homes are very nice in both of these towns and in the nicest of areas you can find 3 and 4 bed rangeing from 2400 and up. If your willing to do townhomes/condos it is even easier to find and may include ammenities you're not able to get in the subdivisions. Guess I've rambled on enough, but I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:47 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,053,022 times
a $100k salary doesnt come close to affording a house but you should be able to find 3 bedroom apartment or even house rental for $3k a month in a safe neighboorhood. Prices on houses are going down, maybe there will be something nice for $400-450k by the time you have a $150k household income. Prices are insane, I know

Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,019,640 times
There are LAUSD magnets that are already available: LA Times hosts seminars about them: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/schoolme/public_school_surival_seminars/index.html (broken link)

Old 02-16-2007, 10:55 PM

23 posts, read 88,576 times
If you like S. California. look at Pasadena, most of the erea seem to be nice and quiet. Or the San Gabriel valley. I live here for more 20 some odd year and it been wonderfull. it close to Pasadena Cal tech, Usc, ucla to name a few. 30 to 40 minute most beach, theme park. You about 10 to 15 minute to down town LA. Not to mention Roses paraise pasadena. Price sfr. looking at low $500k. unless you looking at San Marino. OC are nice dont get me wrong,
price on housing is abit higher, however, tx are lower than la. I guess if you here in CA most places are Mid 400 and upward for housing. Well with $100K a year, you fit in just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles