U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-12-2008, 04:14 PM
 
21 posts, read 69,507 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

I have asked this question before, and I am currently in the LA area looking around and scoping out the area.

I have been offered a job thankfully for $70,000 plus $4,800 in health benefits. I was looking at the Camarillo, Westlake, TO, Moorpark, and other areas and really liked what I saw.

LA is very metropolitan, and enjoyed the feel, and it really is not far from the Thousand Oaks area.

I currently live in Dallas, Texas and am managing well at $60K.

Will I survive if renting a 2 bd room, possibly at 1400 to 2000 a month?

I will then have Cali state income tax, utilities, gas, insurance, etc. to add on top of my other expenses.

The great thing is that from what I have heard in TO and in the overall LA area the need for A/C is not much.

It seems like a tough sell, but the quality of life is very enticing in Thousand Oaks and LA area.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Trablus
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2008, 04:26 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 38,769,928 times
Reputation: 7574
Remember that $60k in Dallas is about $120k in SoCal.

Sure you can survive on $60k renting an apartment, but what's the next step? Will that $70k soon turn into $100k+?

The need for AC here is nothing like Dallas, but it still gets hot for a good 3 months and our electricity rates are high. I spent $100 last month on electricity for a 2 bedroom apartment running the AC in the afternoons maybe 4x a week and its a lot cooler where I am than Thousand Oaks. I'd hate to try to cool an entire house.

Thousand Oaks maybe be geographically close to LA but have fun making that drive during the 1/2 of the day known as rush hour.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,342 posts, read 89,967,278 times
Reputation: 17770
Quote:
Originally Posted by trablus View Post
Hello everyone:

I have asked this question before, and I am currently in the LA area looking around and scoping out the area.

I have been offered a job thankfully for $70,000 plus $4,800 in health benefits. I was looking at the Camarillo, Westlake, TO, Moorpark, and other areas and really liked what I saw.

LA is very metropolitan, and enjoyed the feel, and it really is not far from the Thousand Oaks area.

I currently live in Dallas, Texas and am managing well at $60K.

Will I survive if renting a 2 bd room, possibly at 1400 to 2000 a month?

I will then have Cali state income tax, utilities, gas, insurance, etc. to add on top of my other expenses.

The great thing is that from what I have heard in TO and in the overall LA area the need for A/C is not much.

It seems like a tough sell, but the quality of life is very enticing in Thousand Oaks and LA area.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Trablus
Your numbers don't sound that bad, $2K/month.

Your drive could be bad depending on where in LA and what time you commute - Technically, Woodland Hills is Los Angeles; Is that where the job is? Where is the job?

Also, realize TO, Camarillo, Moorpark are very suitable for the family demographic but for singles (not sure what your situation is) it could be boring.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 06:17 PM
 
21 posts, read 69,507 times
Reputation: 14
Default Charles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your numbers don't sound that bad, $2K/month.

Your drive could be bad depending on where in LA and what time you commute - Technically, Woodland Hills is Los Angeles; Is that where the job is? Where is the job?

Also, realize TO, Camarillo, Moorpark are very suitable for the family demographic but for singles (not sure what your situation is) it could be boring.
Dear Charles:

(1) Thank you for your reply. I figure that a budget of $2000 or less is doable in the area. A condo or apartment is possible at that rate.

(2) My job would be in TO, and I hope to live in the area.

(3) My wife would also need to take classes in the evening at the local college, which I believe the closest would be Moorpark College, and the closest public universities would be CSU Channel Islands, Cal Northridge, any others?

(4) As a single family the area is a great match, and although it can be boring, LA and other attractions are too far away.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,342 posts, read 89,967,278 times
Reputation: 17770
Quote:
Originally Posted by trablus View Post
Dear Charles:

(1) Thank you for your reply. I figure that a budget of $2000 or less is doable in the area. A condo or apartment is possible at that rate.

(2) My job would be in TO, and I hope to live in the area.

(3) My wife would also need to take classes in the evening at the local college, which I believe the closest would be Moorpark College, and the closest public universities would be CSU Channel Islands, Cal Northridge, any others?

(4) As a single family the area is a great match, and although it can be boring, LA and other attractions are too far away.
More clear now.

Sounds like you'll be fine.

Moorpark College is great. There is also Pierce College near Victory and Winnetka.

There is also California Lutheran University in TO too.

UCSB has a satellite campus in Ventura for Comp Sci and Computer Engineering.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,209 posts, read 21,075,794 times
Reputation: 3555
if you end up in TO or nearby, you will definitely be using your a/c during the summer. it is not uncommon for temps in that area to push 100 degrees. other than that, you should be fine, the beach is less than 30 minutes away.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 PM
 
Location: Burbank
1,203 posts, read 4,250,000 times
Reputation: 435
As far as utilities go, my bill was 18.00 bucks last month.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 PM
 
11,715 posts, read 38,769,928 times
Reputation: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
As far as utilities go, my bill was 18.00 bucks last month.
How do you have a bill that low unless you're never home and don't own a refrigerator.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Burbank
1,203 posts, read 4,250,000 times
Reputation: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How do you have a bill that low unless you're never home and don't own a refrigerator.
Resourceful? All my lights are low wattage GE bulbs. I never have more then 1 room with lights left on. No AC usage; open windows and fans. Quick showers. And yea, I have a fridge.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM
 
21 posts, read 69,507 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Your numbers don't sound that bad, $2K/month.

Your drive could be bad depending on where in LA and what time you commute - Technically, Woodland Hills is Los Angeles; Is that where the job is? Where is the job?

Also, realize TO, Camarillo, Moorpark are very suitable for the family demographic but for singles (not sure what your situation is) it could be boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you end up in TO or nearby, you will definitely be using your a/c during the summer. it is not uncommon for temps in that area to push 100 degrees. other than that, you should be fine, the beach is less than 30 minutes away.

Good thing the beach is 30 minutes away to bring a nice breeze every once in awhile. Dallas is just so hot and boring, and just plain dull.

Ventura beaches are nice, but Leo Carillo is pretty nice as well.

Again the only downside for the move is putting down so much money for housing it is a big step.

Thanks,

Trablus
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top