Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:38 PM

7,705 posts, read 12,547,448 times

Advertisements

I'm so mad!! I am planning on moving somewhere in SoCal and I can't find anything that is affordable within my range that I KNOW I can get and will live safely without being shot coming out of my apartment! It's so aggravating. I don't live in California so I can only base my decisions and views from people on the forum who have lived there previously or know the area.

When I considered San Bernardino because of it's beautiful apartments, everyone instantly got on my case. The city itself apparently wasn't nearly as attractive as the apartments were. They told me I could do much better so I decided on another city. I set my sights on Los Angeles. AGAIN. I considered the areas Burbank, Silverlake, and Culver City and some other hip neighborhood I forgot the name. And of course no feasible options there. Too expensive. So I considered the lovely San Diego. I later learned San Diego job salaries don't pay much higher than San Antonio's. Which means those higher priced apartments in the city taking your money and you get a Texas salary out of everything?? Your basically paying for the weather. I don't think so.

Then I considered San Jose. Apparently, the city is completely outrageous. You pay good money for junky apartments?? Not a good choice either.

And of course I had thought about San Francisco. But it seems to be too expensive even for a studio room. And I looked at some pictures of it. I think I would get lost in a huge city like that. I kept looking at all the high roads and blocks and was wondering where the airport was or even where does the high-way start?? I just saw miles and miles of endless houses and stores. It's a cool place and everything but I don't know. And I heard that there's not even alot of black people there.

Since I don't live in Cali, can anyone give me some insight to where I might like that is affordable and seemingly attractive with palm trees and all that and that is not dangerous? Is there any city in Cali like that or am I just asking for way too much without actually experiencing it??? I know I am being a little irrational but I'm just trying to see what I can work out for myself in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 02:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,324,847 times
Why do you think people are moving from California to Texas?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,610,942 times
perhaps part of the problem is that you don't seem to know where you want to be, so you're all over the place. san francisco and san diego are 500 miles apart, and if one of them appeals to you, chances are the other will not; they are VERY different types of cities-- as are LA and SF, for that matter. if you think san francisco is too large, how do you ever expect to cope with LA? the city, alone, is nearly 500 square miles.

do you have a job offer or good prospects ANYwhere in the state? if not, how can you know what your housing budget will be?

Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,843,208 times
Malibu might be a match.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,033,549 times
Allen, what line of work are you in? Where do you think you might be able to find work? What is your housing budget monthly? How big a place do you need for that budget? Sometimes the people on this forum are way negative, and forget to think creatively. There is probably a way, if you have work. We are all affording our places.... the thing is probably doable if your expectations are realistic.

If you have already told your line of work and budget, etc., on another thread, please forgive me and tell again here - I've forgotten it if I read it before.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:51 PM

145 posts, read 366,814 times
or Santa monica.....

but seriously what is your budget, that would help, i'm looking around tarzana, encino canoga hills area.... about $900 average for a studio/1 bed

Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Allen, what line of work are you in? Where do you think you might be able to find work? What is your housing budget monthly? How big a place do you need for that budget? Sometimes the people on this forum are way negative, and forget to think creatively. There is probably a way, if you have work. We are all affording our places.... the thing is probably doable if your expectations are realistic.

If you have already told your line of work and budget, etc., on another thread, please forgive me and tell again here - I've forgotten it if I read it before.
Um, I'm not really in any line of work. I'm kinda just trying to finish high school. But I am planning on being in California in the next 4 to 5 years. Seriously working and going to college. I'm am trying to find a city to my liking but I can't seem to get one that fits and is affordable. I'm trying to find some good apartment placing right now and later returning to them in the future so I can see how everything is and if it's in my budget. And Malibu is a complete fantasy.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:36 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,494,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Um, I'm not really in any line of work. I'm kinda just trying to finish high school. But I am planning on being in California in the next 4 to 5 years. Seriously working and going to college. I'm am trying to find a city to my liking but I can't seem to get one that fits and is affordable. I'm trying to find some good apartment placing right now and later returning to them in the future so I can see how everything is and if it's in my budget. And Malibu is a complete fantasy.

Use Craigslist for your "old lady" pre-planning agenda on the apartment rates in each city your considering. Then, book a flight on south west, stay in cheap motel in santa monica, san francisco, san jose, san diego etc and look around.

Better yet, pack a bag with soap, fly out, rent a cheap SUV and hit up all the cities 1-2 weeks at a time and figure it out. Bring a wing man and split the bills if you can. Live in your rental car, spend most of your money on beer, meet other travelers, enjoy the beach, drive the coast, and remember the experience in years to come.

You may even get lucky.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:43 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,399,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Why not finish high school, go to college locally (where your are now), then come out to California? Right now, it does not seem you have the knowledge/experience/education/skills that will allow you to get a well-paying job. If you don't have that, then very few places here (in California) will be affordable.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Use Craigslist for your "old lady" pre-planning agenda on the apartment rates in each city your considering. Then, book a flight on south west, stay in cheap motel in santa monica, san francisco, san jose, san diego etc and look around.

Better yet, pack a bag with soap, fly out, rent a cheap SUV and hit up all the cities 1-2 weeks at a time and figure it out. Bring a wing man and split the bills if you can. Live in your rental car, spend most of your money on beer, meet other travelers, enjoy the beach, drive the coast, and remember the experience in years to come.

You may even get lucky.
That's not very genuine advice. I'm not trying to be funny here. I'm very serious about everything I described. I'm not playing around! Why can't people take young adults seriously??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles