U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 05:58 PM

17 posts, read 24,204 times

Advertisements

Hi there-
Husband has been relocated and we are moving in early 2009. His job will be on the Miracle Mile, and we will only have one car, so we're looking to rent an apartment nearby (within 3-4 miles) so I can drop him off (or he can walk or bike) I know it's not ideal, but we currently have no car, so the leap from 0-2 isn't a possibility just yet.

We're looking for 1bed/1 bath rentals-up to $1700/month. In addition to proximity to Miracle Mile, we'd like somewhere that has some stores/amenities within walking distance.

We visited in September and I liked Hancock Park - especially b/c of Larchmont Village. What other area would you suggest?

Many thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 06:24 PM

7,136 posts, read 19,407,099 times
west hollywood has some nice areas and the miracle mile has some real nice apartments as well. $1700 should get you a good sized 1br in that area. if you stay somewhere between 3rd and Melrose, you will be with walking distance to many shops and restaurants while also remaining close to wilshire and the miracle mile. south of wilshire is also nice, but there isn't as much going on. Larchmont village is also a very nice area, but pretty expensive.

you're probably going to hear from the "you can't live in LA without a car" club, but it is doable. you should definitely have atleast one car, but the second one isn't mandatory IMO. My wife has a car and I have a Vespa that I use or take the bus. We did have a second car a while back, but I was getting so many parking tickets that it became cost prohbitive to keep the second car. both our offices are fairly close and we live in a neighborhood where everything we could ever need is less than 2 miles from our apartment, so i can always hop on my bike if my wife is out with the car and i need to get somewhere. it works out great for us and not having the second car has only been an issue once in the past year, so i rented a car for the day for $25.

good luck and enjoy LA.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:32 PM

thanks so much-i think you're the first person who hasn't suggested that we're nuts for only having one car.

when would be a good time to start seriously looking for an apartment if we're thinking we want a feb 1/15 move in date?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM

wanted to throw this out there again-we're looking at an early February move in date, and have subscribed to westside rentals. we were considering santa monica and culver city, but have eliminated those because they'll be a pain for husband to get to work.
does anyone know anything about the dover lofts??

Old 11-19-2008, 01:46 PM

2,572 posts, read 7,841,607 times
where are the dover lofts? never heard of them.

if you are working in miracle mile, then, by all means, live there. it's a great, centrally-situated part of the city that has good access to both downtown and the westside, and, for your budget, you might even be able to swing an extra bedroom if you avoid the luxury complexes. the only drawback is the lack of available on-street parking for all the tenants of the older buildings that don't offer on-site parking, so i would make it a top priority to find a place that does. also, look closer to 3rd street, rather than wilshire/8th, as this will give you better walking access to the grove/farmer's market for shopping and dining.

proud member of the "you can't live in LA without a car" club here, btw. however, there's a big difference between sharing a car with a spouse (especially when one of you works close to home and there are no children to transport to school/daycare five days and week), and having NO car. the former is manageable, possibly even long-term if necesssary, and the latter is just plain crazy.

Last edited by katenik; 11-19-2008 at 01:54 PM..

Old 11-19-2008, 02:11 PM

thanks!
fyi: the dover: NEWLY RENOVATED LOFT STYLE UNITS. (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/922613829.html - broken link)

Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM

688 posts, read 2,307,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melr76 View Post
thanks!
fyi: the dover: NEWLY RENOVATED LOFT STYLE UNITS. (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/922613829.html - broken link)
Not the Dover! I nearly fell out of my chair when I clicked on that link. A friend of mine lived there when he first moved to LA, mind you that was almost 20 years ago. His fondest memory is the manager getting thrown off of the roof, or so the story goes. Too far east and not in a great part of town. Stay with your oginial instinct and look in the Hancock Park, Larchmont area or go a little further west in the Park La Brea area. You should be able to find a nice apartment in your price range. As a young couple with no kids you can definetly live and work in that area with only 1 car.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscenes View Post
Not the Dover! I nearly fell out of my chair when I clicked on that link. A friend of mine lived there when he first moved to LA, mind you that was almost 20 years ago. His fondest memory is the manager getting thrown off of the roof, or so the story goes. Too far east and not in a great part of town. Stay with your oginial instinct and look in the Hancock Park, Larchmont area or go a little further west in the Park La Brea area. You should be able to find a nice apartment in your price range. As a young couple with no kids you can definetly live and work in that area with only 1 car.
ooooh thanks-i did some quick searching and there seems to be a bunch of negative reviews about the place. (keeping in mind that the people most likely to post a review are the ones who have a beef with the place...)

i keep going back to hancock park/larchmont listings-i'm thinking we may end up there.

one more question-what about the area just south of the miracle mile-like fairfax?

Old 11-19-2008, 02:35 PM

that building is right on the border of Hancock Park (one of the most exclusive neighborhoods in the city). However, as you get furhter east along Beverly, the neighborhood gets seedy very quickly. If I were you, I would look in area surrounded by Highland to the east, La Cienega to west, Olympic to the south, and Santa Monica Blvd to the north. This will keep your husband relatively close to his office (depending on where you end up moving) and centrally located to the rest of the city, while also having plenty of neighborhood amenities within walking distance or a very short drive.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melr76 View Post
one more question-what about the area just south of the miracle mile-like fairfax?
Getting south of Olympic, the neighborhoods start to get less and less desirable fairly quickly. I for one would definitely stay north of Pico. Plus, it becomes mostly single family homes around that area anyways, which are going to be much more expensive than apartments even though they might be in shadier neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or