Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:22 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times

Advertisements

There are people who grew up back east, and to them, anything above 35 isn't cold. I grew up here. I get cold when the temperature gets below 65. "Hi, my name is Sandy, and I'm a weather wimp!"

Old 10-28-2008, 05:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
LOL! I guess it could be true if you've never experience negative degree weather 45 degrees could be cold

Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
LOL! I guess it could be true if you've never experience negative degree weather 45 degrees could be cold
i've experienced -20 (windchill, in chicago), but that doesn't prevent me from feeling cold when it is 45 in LA. a few years ago, i was in michigan during a winter 'heat wave', with daytime highs in the low 50s. when i got home, the temperature was about the same, but without sunshine, it actually felt colder, and for a few days i wished i were back in michigan.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i've experienced -20 (windchill, in chicago), but that doesn't prevent me from feeling cold when it is 45 in LA. a few years ago, i was in michigan during a winter 'heat wave', with daytime highs in the low 50s. when i got home, the temperature was about the same, but without sunshine, it actually felt colder, and for a few days i wished i were back in michigan.
Yeah that's the thing about LA's cold. We only get down under 50 at night and our coldest day time temps are usually with heavy clouds. Sunny and cold is almost unheard of. I remember once I was in Iowa and it was 0 F with a cloudless sky. It was a very weird sensation for me. When I was in Denver last February, 30F and sunny was very tolerable with a jacket.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:46 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,106 times
Wife grew up back east, so when the temp gets below about 55 here she runs for the sweater and blanket. It's pretty easy to get spoiled that way.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:11 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah that's the thing about LA's cold. We only get down under 50 at night and our coldest day time temps are usually with heavy clouds. Sunny and cold is almost unheard of. I remember once I was in Iowa and it was 0 F with a cloudless sky. It was a very weird sensation for me. When I was in Denver last February, 30F and sunny was very tolerable with a jacket.
Anyone who has lived in LA long enough & pays attention to the weather knows that cold weather [based on 'normal' comfort levels] is rare. You are exactly right that a cold day in SoCal is when it is cloudy & rainy in January. If it is sunny it is almost 100% of the time at least in the 60's during winter. In-fact day temps in the 50's generally only occur 5-6 times a year! The average winter maximum is between 65F-70F w/ minimums around 50F. Rainfall generally occurs every 2-3 weeks from Nov - March with weeks of perfectly sunny skies & often quite warm temps [how often do we experience maximums in the 80's during winter? alot]. This is one of the warmest winter climates in the U.S minus south Florida & southernmost Texas.

Honestly, how often do we need even a sweater on a winter day? At night it can get chilly & if a person is going to be outside for an extended period than it is wise to have a warm jacket.

The difference between summer & winter is that one wears socks with flip flops during winter [that's the truth

Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,271 times
I'm not going to complain about the cold when I get there haha, 60s during the winter days sounds great to me!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
I'm from New York and it took seven years of living in LA before the permafrost in my bones melted enough so that I could feel "chilly" in LA.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:09 PM

149 posts, read 567,757 times
Yeah I know it gets cold at night in L.A. but so what during the day it is very warm. Here in New York you need to watch the weather channel in Southern California you don't because everyday will be okay. Since I am from New York I can survive all year with a shot sleeve shirt even on "cold" days.

My aunt came here in the winter before when it was seven degrees and almost died of the cold. She said never again will I go to New York in the winter.

California is always beautiful even on a bad day it is beautiful. even at night when it is "cold" you can just sit in the car or stay inside. it was 92 degrees today in Southern California. It was 43 degrees today in New York! in October! it is not even technically winter and it is already cold.

It just pisses me off when people say it gets "cold" when in reality it is not "cold" in California

Well I understand growing up in California all your life you will be used to the warm and a little cold will affect you.

here in New York we get happy when it is 50 degrees that super warm!

Not only that but it rains a lot over here too even in 20 degree weather it still rains

Here in New York it gets cold in October and it starts getting warm in May
The coldest months are January February and March. In February it actually went down to 7 degrees! yeah and it gets cold in California because it goes down to 46 degrees at night! Whaa whaa! It is too cold but during the day it is a little warmer but I am cold

I mean one of the reasons I am moving with my family is because I hate the winter here in New York City

Californians don't know what it means to winter shop like people here in the northeast and I am jealous I hate winter shopping

It is starting to get cold here in New York and I need to get the hell out of here until it gets so cold I see my breath another thing you will never see in California your own breath! and another thing Californians will never experience is frozen hands!

IT DOES NOT GET COLD IN CALIFORNIA! NOT AT ALL!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
When I first moved to LA Calif in Jan ages ago...would go around in short sleeve shirts. Growing up in a four season climate does have its advantages if you like the season changes. By the following fall...I was wearing a sweater or light jacket in the evening on feeling a little cold. After six months in Calif your blood starts to thin a little and you feel the weather differently. As for me...I like spring and summer all year around. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles