Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:59 AM

149 posts, read 567,867 times

Advertisements

Hey guys please help me out I am moving to LA in less than a year and I keep asking people the same question DOES IT GET COLD IN LA CALIFORNIA!!!!
I get the same answer YES! My mom tells me that it does get cold in California!
I always thought it was warm all year round! COLD! please some one tell me this is not true!

I am from New York to me cold is 30 degrees thats cold!

I want to know if it goes below 30 degrees on average in the months of December to May like it does here in New York?

My uncle says it gets cold but not as cold as New York. My uncle has been living there for 50 years so I am pretty sure I can trust him. I know it does not snow in LA.

I am moving with my family in LA for a ton of reasons but one of them is the weather here in NY will destroy me. It gets so cold I can not take it.

I went to visit LA in the August that just passed every day was extremely warm but at night it got cool my California buddies were like "hey man you are not cold" I was like no! 60 degrees is cold? are you kidding? it was no less than 60 sometimes 50 I mean one needs a jacket or a sweater but nothing more than that. In New York people walk in short when it is 60 degrees thats a treat!

I have never visited LA in any other seasons besides June thru August before so I personally don't know how cold it gets.

So please I need someone who lives in LA for more than a year to tell me how cold does it really get. And if you are familiar with New York weather does it kick New York's ass in having nice weather?

Ok let me be more specific do you need a coat to go outside in the months of December thru April like here in NY?

Does it get unbearably cold like New York? what's the coldest it will ever get? and how often does it get that cold?

So please someone from LA tell me how cold it gets and I am not talking about the mountains please I know about how cold it gets and it snows up there blah blah!

Also what are the best months for truly great fantastic warm weather in which I am in desperate need of knowing?

I am sorry to be a loser and ask this and I know I sound like a maniac but I am stressed and I really want to answer this question just to get it off my mind. SO please share your knowledge of how cold it gets in LA. Thank You so much for your help.

Also if you know how cold does it get in Anaheim and Burbank. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ml#post5814770

Old 10-23-2008, 05:12 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
I hardly think one who inquires about the weather is a loser or a maniac. It's a very important thing to consider when moving. There are many times I wish I were back in Burbank for many reason, but I've made the best out of the crazy weather in Texas. I must say, our winters in Central Texas as delightful but much colder than Burbank.

I'm from Burbank and I can tell you that it doesn't get cold. I honestly can't remember the temperature ever going below the mid 40s and that wasn't often. If it went lower than that, I don't remember. I remember thinking that was really cool to be that cold!! I'll agree that 60 degrees is not cold and for that matter either is the 50s. Unbearably cold it does NOT get in the L.A. area.

It can get quite warm in the summer, but it doesn't last. When my daughter was born one June, it was about 110 degrees for a few days. It fluctuates greatly and shortly after that short heat wave, it was in the 60s for days. I lived out there for 30 years and we never had A/C as the nights cooled off nicely. I can only remember a time or two when I was a little too warm at night...again, a rarity.

As far as snow, I can remember one time when there were flurries, like a few. There were a few times when the mountains surrounding the San Fernando Valley had a tad of snow on them, nothing to brag about though.

Again, the weather fluctuates. I used to go to Malibu Beach any time of the year like even February. It was delightful, so many of the months can be grand. Southern California weather is about the same all year fluctuating from hot to warm to cool. It's great.

December through April, you will not need a coat. There may be a few cool days here and there, but you'll find more beach weather than cool weather.

If it ever got to warm in the house, we would just sit outside. It seemed like every day at 4:00, it would start getting cooler and the breezes were so nice. You will love it.

My parents moved from New York to California when I was a toddler. My dad always commented about the cold weather and the humid hot summers in NY. He loved the weather in CA and then 30 years later when we moved to Texas, he was miserable with the weather here.

I hope I've helped a little bit. I've lived in Texas for 30 years, so I'm giving you information on what the weather was like many years ago in Burbank. I doubt it has changed since the weather in Texas for 30 years still does what it always has done.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:19 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,922 times
It can get cold anywhere. Plus, it depends on what part of "LA" you are talking about. Los Angeles proper, Malibu, Orange County, Semi Valley?

When I, from Sacramento, brought my then fiance, from Britian, to Santa Monica I was cold, he was hot. I wanted a jacket, he was in a T-shirt. So if you come from 30 degrees, chances are you will feel comfortable to warm. If you come from 90 degrees then you will be cold.

Also to add, there can be dips in the weather just like anywhere. And you will aclimate. Hell, I sit around the UK during a 60 degree summer and sweat when it hits 70 now. You will get rain, you will have a cold snap. But over all I would say that you will enjoy the winter weather. As far as Summer weather, again, are by the coast or inland? The coast will be foggy in the am and lovely in the pm and inland is hotter then hell.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:44 AM

689 posts, read 2,582,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miranda104 View Post
Hey guys please help me out I am moving to LA in less than a year and I keep asking people the same question DOES IT GET COLD IN LA CALIFORNIA!!!!
I get the same answer YES! My mom tells me that it does get cold in California!
I always thought it was warm all year round! COLD! please some one tell me this is not true!

I am from New York to me cold is 30 degrees thats cold!

I want to know if it goes below 30 degrees on average in the months of December to May like it does here in New York?

My uncle says it gets cold but not as cold as New York. My uncle has been living there for 50 years so I am pretty sure I can trust him. I know it does not snow in LA.

I am moving with my family in LA for a ton of reasons but one of them is the weather here in NY will destroy me. It gets so cold I can not take it.

I went to visit LA in the August that just passed every day was extremely warm but at night it got cool my California buddies were like "hey man you are not cold" I was like no! 60 degrees is cold? are you kidding? it was no less than 60 sometimes 50 I mean one needs a jacket or a sweater but nothing more than that. In New York people walk in short when it is 60 degrees thats a treat!

I have never visited LA in any other seasons besides June thru August before so I personally don't know how cold it gets.

So please I need someone who lives in LA for more than a year to tell me how cold does it really get. And if you are familiar with New York weather does it kick New York's ass in having nice weather?

Ok let me be more specific do you need a coat to go outside in the months of December thru April like here in NY?

Does it get unbearably cold like New York? what's the coldest it will ever get? and how often does it get that cold?

So please someone from LA tell me how cold it gets and I am not talking about the mountains please I know about how cold it gets and it snows up there blah blah!

Also what are the best months for truly great fantastic warm weather in which I am in desperate need of knowing?

I am sorry to be a loser and ask this and I know I sound like a maniac but I am stressed and I really want to answer this question just to get it off my mind. SO please share your knowledge of how cold it gets in LA. Thank You so much for your help.

Also if you know how cold does it get in Anaheim and Burbank. Thanks.
When did using these silly things become punctuation? With regards to your question (I think I found it in there somehwhere), it does not get cold by NY standards. Do a google search, go to weather.com, I'm sure you can find some sort of weather almanac.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:45 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
It has been in the 30s and 40s in the San Fernando Valley during the day, but this rarely happens. The last time we had a cold snap like that was at least a couple of years ago, and even then it only lasted two or three days. The L.A. basin doesn't get cold temperatures often, and snow happens once in a blue moon.

The further you are from the coast, the more extreme the temperatures. If you're in the high desert or the mountains, those areas can experience snow. Again, though, it usually doesn't stay cold for very long. The mountains can receive a foot of snow; the high desert usually receives inches instead.

You'll be fine out here, at least until you acclimate. Then 50 degrees will seem cold.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,017,229 times
I've experienced nights in the high 30's - low 40's and that's cold (to us). Temps in the low 60's during the days is also cold. Overall, the weather in the winter/spring months is perfect.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:04 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,935 times
It gets cold enough in the winter months but nothing compared to the cold states. I can't remember exact figures, but in the winter months in LA I often burned wood in the evenings...hell there were some chilly days to, but I think I lit fires more for the cosy effect. When I lived in Ventura County it got quite cold (SoCal cold) and even the orange groves iced up.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
LA doesn't get NY-cold, but it can get chilly, especially at night in the inland areas. It's definitely not Miami where it's pure heat year round - you will need long sleeves and a light jacket many days during the winter months. However, that's not to say that it necessarily gets cold. I moved here from a cold area and I've noticed that the locals' definition of "cold" is much different than mine. I've seen people here wearing jackets and scarfs when it's 65 degrees outside!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:09 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,749 times
It does get cold in California depending on where you are. Just not "bitter" cold but cold. I went in the spring to the southern part of the state and it felt chilly at night, which I expected, while the day time was seventy degrees. It's something I'm not use to despite visiting California several times in my life. Over on the east coast, whenever there's warm weather, it doesn't usually drop so much in temperature. (Edit: Except for NY state and most of New England, I suppose. Every time I go up there in the summer, I feel like I'm in California a little bit.)

I remember someone on a coaster forum asking people about California weather since he was going on a trip. Then, when he came back, he said it was really cold. I can only imagine that he didn't bring a thick enough jacket.

In the northern part of the state, you'll definitely find the cooler temperatures and more snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles