Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,093 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Burbank for the past two years. I am considering moving to Tarzana for a job. I drove around a bit today, and was pleasantly surprised. It seems like a nice city. I am just wondering if my impression is correct. I will be moving with my husband and our daughter, who is 9.I would appreciate any feedback, Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 04:41 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Tarzana is in the city of LA, Burbank is its own city. If you don't plan on sending your child to private school you will have to enroll them in LAUSD. Most people don't have much nice to say about LAUSD. Other than that, Tarzana is a nice area, especially around Ventura Blvd.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:23 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
OK, this will NOT be helpful. For as long as I have lived in the LA area, the only thing I can ever recall associating with Tarzana (or was it Reseda?) is "The Karate Kid." Don't know why that is. And it's not a bash by any means. My experience is the less you hear about a "city" in or around LA . . . the better.

Last edited by JTGJR; 10-23-2008 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: whatever town it was, I always think of Tazana.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
My advice would be to just commute from Burbank. Tarzana is nice but its schools are LAUSD. Of course not all schools are bad. I am a proud graduate of Tarzana's Portola Junior High school.

Tarzana is nice but as a young couple you may be happier in Burbank as there are much more things to do there. Tarzana does have its fair share of famous celebrities - Kevin Federline and Kevin from KROQ both call it home.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM

419 posts, read 1,450,047 times
Second the motion to stay in Burbank. We moved from Sherman Oaks/Encino area because the schools and services for little ones are pathetic. Compare the libraries, rec centers aplenty, parks, schools -- all the stuff your your little one and it is a no-brainer. Stay in Burbank. BTW, I'm commuting to Warner Center every day. It's not so bad - esp with the Orange Line from NoHo.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 AM

145 posts, read 368,477 times
hmm burbank, my job is also in tarzana, is there really nothing to do there for families? in tarzana i mean?

Old 10-24-2008, 07:44 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
May I ask why you aren't considering moving to the other side of Warner Center like the Conejo Valley area? Safer, cleaner, very family oriented and imo, better schools.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetraq View Post
hmm burbank, my job is also in tarzana, is there really nothing to do there for families? in tarzana i mean?
There are things to do, but it really doesnt compare to Burbank.

The closest HUB for entertainment/restaurants is Sherman Oaks Galleria but Ive noticed that they attract the Van Nuys element much more now. Used to be a movie theater in Tarzana but it was demolished for a shopping complex. I used to see the Olsen twins there all the time.

There's a pretty good hiking trail where Reseda Blvd ends about 3 miles south of Ventura Blvd. But other than that, not much else in Tarzana.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:23 PM

419 posts, read 1,450,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatles_fan View Post
May I ask why you aren't considering moving to the other side of Warner Center like the Conejo Valley area? Safer, cleaner, very family oriented and imo, better schools.

for me personally, we shyed away from Conejo Valley for 2 reasons: proximity to family and proximity to jobs.

Warner Center is about it for employment (the "tech coast" concept for Oxnard is a joke, esp with the layoffs over the past year).

Commuting seems to be a fact of life for my friends in TO, Westlake, Agoura, etc.

And my family, well, I grew up in the Pomona area so it was that much further away.

Burbank drives a hard bargain: good schools (a notch below TO but miles ahead of LAUSD and Pasadena), access to jobs, mass transit, plenty of stuff to do, clean, (relatively) affordable, and safe.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:40 PM

28 posts, read 96,621 times
I've lived in Tarzana for 4 years (after Sherman Oaks, Encino and Woodland Hills) and find it nice. We live very close to the Orange line and regularly just ride our bikes to the Balboa Park (lake, playground, golf, etc) using the bike path, very nice ride. We currently have our townhome for rent to move out of state, but we enjoyed living here so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles