Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:13 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,701 times

Advertisements

This is why I can't wait to hopefully move to LA. So many different cultures to experience, especially Koreatown and Little Toyko. Lot more stuff there than where I am currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,166 times
There are also Thai Town, Little Ethopia, and Little India (the one in Artesia).

Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
I've discovered a bunch of new cultures since moving here. Here are some of the ethnic-towns that I've personally explored in the last four months:

Mexicans-- everywhere, too many places to name
Croatians-- San Pedro
Japanese-- Torrance & Gardena, also parts of Costa Mesa, Irvine
Chinese-- Rowland Heights
Koreans-- Koreatown, Torrance, Lomita, also way out in the SFV by Northridge
Armenians-- Glendale, also the fashion district of downtown LA
Salvadoreans-- Alvarado, Vermont
Mexican/Oaxacans-- Vermont, also on SM Blvd west of the 405
Persian Jews-- Westwood Blvd, Pico Blvd
Brazilians-- Venice Blvd just north of Culver City
Indians-- Pioneer Blvd in Artesia
Filipinos-- Not sure which part of town, but I've met quite a few at USC

Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
There are also Thai Town, Little Ethopia, and Little India (the one in Artesia).
Little India, along Pioneer Blvd is a really neat place. I went there about a month or so ago, walked around and tried out various sweets and snacks. I like the one that's made out of carrots. You really do feel that they brought a piece of India to LA when you go there.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 PM

149 posts, read 567,809 times
This all great information I mean New York is way more diverse thats a given but it is good to hear about these places. So I guess there are no predominantly Irish neighborhoods or any Puerto Rican neighborhoods which are very common here in New York

what about Italian neighborhoods?

I will feel so left out not being around any Puerto Ricans Irish or Italians

I am Puerto Rican with a little bit of Irish but mainly Puerto Rican from New York I grew up with these heritage groups my whole life.

I never had any Mexican friends well there are a lot of Mexicans here in New York now in the past five years more and more have come

I have had some Asian friends and I know there are a lot in LA

Well I guess moving there will be a great new cultural experience

Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Carson has lots of Filipinos and Samoans.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:03 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Carson has lots of Filipinos and Samoans.
and hawthorne has a significant minority of tongans, who, apparently, don't like being mistaken for samoans. go figure!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Los Angeles looks like a foreign country. It's hard to believe when walking through the streets there that you are still on American soil.
I have to admit that's kind of true. I rarely see white people honestly. It's mostly Asian and Mexican it seems like to me. I know there are black areas, but I have no idea where the whities like me hide out

And Beverly Hills is not "Iranian," first off they are called Persians, and second it's Woodland Hills where there are a ton of Persians, not Beverly Hills, which is mostly white.

Burbank is fairly diverse relatively speaking, and by diverse I don't mean there are non-white people, I mean there are white people. That's diversity in Los Angeles. I would say too many areas aren't diverse at all, because there are no white people left anymore! haha. It's crazy but true.

I think even though the city as a whole is diverse, the city isn't actually very diverse. It seems to me like people hang out in areas or clumps of their "own kind," and there isn't that much mixing. It's kind of unfortunate honestly. It's like this area is Mexican, this area is black, this area is Asian, etc.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
And Beverly Hills is not "Iranian," first off they are called Persians, and second it's Woodland Hills where there are a ton of Persians, not Beverly Hills, which is mostly white.
Hmm, I can't seem to find "Persia" anywhere. Then again, all my maps are less than 1000 years old.

And I looked it up and according to Wikipedia, "Like the rest of Los Angeles County, Beverly Hills is home to a large Iranian-American community. There has been a recent estimate that Iranians represent as much as 30% of the city's population and 40% of the students in public schools."

Old 10-24-2008, 01:10 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
It's not known for that nearly as much. That's the first I've ever heard of that and my former business partner was Assyrian, born in Iran. And just because there's no country doesn't mean they aren't Persian, it's really ignorant to say that. I guess I would have said that before I knew better, too, but to lump them all in as Iranians isn't right. You could at least say Iranian-American, but even that's odd. There are more than one group. My business partner was born in Tehran, but he's Assyrian. The Assyrians ruled the world thousands of years ago, now they have no country, but they are Christians, not Muslims, and have nothing in common with Persians except sharing a common birth place much of the time. Most Persians and Assyrians in the U.S. don't identify with Iran, they left for a reason, and most don't want to be called Iranians or Iranian-Americans. They want to be called Persians. There are Persians from Iran, there are Armenians from Iran, and there are Assyrians from Iran. To call them all Iranians is really not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles