Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:03 AM

13 posts, read 44,285 times

Advertisements

Help! I need some advice!! I have been on this board for sometime now. I currently live and work in Orange County, I work in mortgage and there is a 50% chance that my company will close in the next 2 months. I have the opportunity to take my DREAM job in Beverly hills whenever I am ready. I mean my absolute, I would do anything even work for free dream job. Heres my problem. Its an entry level position so I will be making half of what I am making now for at least a year or two. My fiancée works here in OC and is able to transfer with his company to almost anywhere. If we move to LA we will almost be in the negative money wise every month and that’s with living in a studio apartment with us and 2 cats, I am also not too keen on living in LA. I like it and I am there a lot but I am used to the clean cookie cutter OC (no homeless people outside my door and not looking for or paying for parking EVERYWHERE). So my 3 options are this, I can move to LA as stated above, I can stay in OC (Easier for my fiancée so he doesn’t have to transfer) but with the price of gas to commute up to Beverly Hills everyday still have to live in a studio here and have a LONNGGG commute or my 3rd option is to move to Bakersfield. My parents live there (yes I know the area and I don’t hate it at all). I could live with them rent free, My fiancée would have an easier time transferring there then to LA and we would save a ton of money on rent even with the price of gas to commute. The question is how hard is this 100 + mile each way commute everyday? I have NO problem waking up at 4 am if it means I can go to my dream job everyday but is this commute really doable? Also with traffic from OC to LA and back is the commute from Bakersfield to BH and back about the same time even thought its double the mileage. I have heard the commute from OC and LA can take 2 hours each way so why kill myself with paying high rents for the same commute time right? What's a girl to do. HELP!!! Please give me some advice. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
That would be an insane commute. Do you mind spending like 6-8 hours a day in the car?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM

I guess thats what I am asking, Is it really 6-8 hours? Some people have said its and 1 hr 45 min each way and that not many people do it so the traffic isnt that bad. Is it really a lot worse of a commute then from OC to Beverly Hills?

Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,286,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amieeluvsblink View Post
I guess thats what I am asking, Is it really 6-8 hours? Some people have said its and 1 hr 45 min each way and that not many people do it so the traffic isnt that bad. Is it really a lot worse of a commute then from OC to Beverly Hills?
I guess if you travelled at odd times it might be less than 3 hours each way. But just physically, its like 110 miles. I'd add at least an hour traffic to the google maps/mapquest time if you travel at anywhere near normal hours. So that's 3 hours each way. Who knows maybe I'm way off, but I can't say i'd ever consider that commute even if it only took 2 hours.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
if you don't mind being in a car 6 hours everyday, you'll be fine.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Option 4 - Get a roommate situation in LA (rent a room in someone's home, seek out someone who needs a roommate for their apt, rent a guesthouse) Its cheaper than trying to pay for an apt on your own.

Commuting from Bakersfield to BH is insane. Even commuting from South OC would be insane(although people do it)

Good luck!

Old 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Won't you lose all that money you're saving just by paying for gas? I'm not very good with L.A. areas but aren't there some areas of L.A. that are pretty far from downtown, less expensive, but have rail service (like Pasadena, only less expensive)? I grew up in Bakersfield, trust me, that commute would be brutal. I know you say you can drive 110 miles but what about when the Grapevine is closed due to snow and high winds? Frankly, I think you'd be worn out by the second week.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM

Ok well this is what I was looking for so thank you, I guess its insane to try and do this. I am really not bothered by traffic. I just didnt want to get home at 10 pm everynight go to sleep then wake up at 4 am and do it again. The money on gas isnt even close to what I would pay for rent in a "semi safe" place in LA plus I would be living in a huge house with parking, laundry, a pool and no rent. Staying in OC seems Silly as the rents are about the same plus I have commute time and all that gas so it looks like my only option is to move to LA and hope I get a raise in the next year or 2.. I just cant pass up this chance at my dream...

Old 10-24-2008, 10:48 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Why stop at Bakersfield? You could move to Fresno which is even cheaper and commute from there. It's only another hour and forty-five minutes.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:50 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
there are parts of LA not too far from Beverly Hills where you can get a decent 1br in a decent area for $1200 (I'm thinking Palms or Culver City). If you cannot afford that between you and your husband, then maybe this job isn't such a 'dream'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles