U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 3,466,177 times

Advertisements

How many of you have ever paid a visit to Angelino Heights? If you haven't, I really suggest you do so, especially if you're into architecture. This small community is located right next to Echo Park and I believe has the highest concentration of Victorian homes in LA. Another reason why I love the Eastside!

Sorry for the less than stellar quality of the photos, I've got a crappy camera.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,493,796 times
Definitely a cool area.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:16 AM

956 posts, read 2,884,722 times
It's a real place? Angelino Heights sounds made-up, kind of like Green Acres or Malibu.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:21 AM

17,443 posts, read 26,992,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
It's a real place? Angelino Heights sounds made-up, kind of like Green Acres or Malibu.
Yes, it is a real place in southern Echo Park, just south of Sunset and east of Echo Park Ave.

But why is it spelled "Angelino" instead of "Angeleno"? Was the neighborhood founded by Italians? Perhaps some lost former Little Italy that disappeared long ago?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:41 AM

688 posts, read 2,466,827 times
Nice pictures of the Victorian architecture in Angelino Heights. Great neighborhood that is often overlooked. A good write up on the area is at LAist: Neighborhood Project: Angelino Heights

Old 10-25-2008, 07:50 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,415,049 times
Your photos are nice and evocative, matt, you needn't apologize. A beautiful example of why L.A. needs protective historic zones, so that we retain treasures like this in our otherwise tear-down city. (Sorcerer68, where are you? Another preservation enthusiast.)

Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM

1,207 posts, read 3,466,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Your photos are nice and evocative, matt, you needn't apologize. A beautiful example of why L.A. needs protective historic zones, so that we retain treasures like this in our otherwise tear-down city. (Sorcerer68, where are you? Another preservation enthusiast.)
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I agree that we need more historic zones. Since I'm new to the area, I'm still learning about LA's history. This might be incorrect, but the general impression I get is that this city, particularly in the mid-20th Century, was so caught up in being the "city of the future" that it completely ignored its past. Thus, you see all these grand theaters on Broadway with beautiful irreplaceable architecture, being used to sell cheap electronics and fake jewelry. The city of LA basically said, "Downtown's old, the Westside's new - who cares about Downtown?" - and we see the consequences today. It's an absolute travesty that those buildings on Broadway are being used the way they are. Also in downtown, I wonder how many buildings are today parking lots?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,003,854 times
Great pictures!!!

Love Victorian architecture. It is a welcome addition to the Los Angeles landscape. Those places are just so pretty and it looks like a nice neighborhood.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,493,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Yes, it is a real place in southern Echo Park, just south of Sunset and east of Echo Park Ave.

But why is it spelled "Angelino" instead of "Angeleno"? Was the neighborhood founded by Italians? Perhaps some lost former Little Italy that disappeared long ago?
Angelino sounds like Spanish to me. I think Angeleno is pronounced like Angelino when spoken in English.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:26 PM

2,583 posts, read 8,280,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
another one, here. i have photos of angelino heights in my flickr stream as well. i'm also fond of spaulding square, a tiny historic overlay zone located near sunset and fairfax that often plays quaint little towns in the movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles