Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 32,390 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to California in December and have decided that I will be moving to one of the coastal cities, however not sure which one will be the best fit for my needs. Listed below is what I am looking for, any help would be very much appreciated!

1. A decent 1 bedroom apt. under $1300

2. Will be traveling all over greater LA so need to be in a location that has somewhat easy access to the freeway, or is somewhat easy to travel from.

3. Looking for a young, lively, and safe area.

As you see in the title so far I have been looking at Santa Monica, Redondo beach, Long Beach, and Huntington Beach. I am however open to any other suggestions, as well as specific locations in these neighborhoods.

Thanks for the help!

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Assuming "Greater LA" means LA and OC and possibly IE, i'd choose somewhere around Long Beach. Best access to LA and OC and close to the 91 for access to IE. The young, lively, safe part is Belmont Shore, Naples, Downtown, East Arts District, etc.. basically right on the coast. Your budget should be more than adequate.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
long beach will have apartments in your price range and maybe huntington as well, but you should take the coastal areas of redondo and santa monica off of your list. very expensive.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:50 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Long Beach will be great. Naples and parts of the Shore might be a bit expensive for you but you'll find something.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,734 times
Well, you'd better think about sharing a place at $1300. One bedrooms in SM, RB, HB, MB and Huntington are well over that. But sharing is common. If you want freeway accessibility to LA then Santa Monica or Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach would be best (take a look at the map). Hermosa has the best young happening night life, Redondo is really for families and Huntington (while I LOVE Surf City) is way too far from LA to make it a realistic commute. What am I saying? My son commutes to Playa from Laguna Nigel. Love the nightlife in Santa Monica, more urban, more culture, more expensive while Hermosa is mostly about the party plan.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:12 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,549 times
Noticed the person hasnt posted back, but I have spent a lot of time in Huntington and I have grown to really enjoy that place, but the commute would be too far for you... there is something great about each of the coastal areas. It really depends on what each person is looking for. Where in L.A is your job "most" of the time? The L.A beaches are expensive. Long Beach is probably not as expensive as the rest, but im not up to date on what each areas price is. Never the less wish you the best. Let us know some more info.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 AM

6 posts, read 32,390 times
Thank you for all of the advice! The accounts/routes that I call on will vary week to week, and they are scattered throughout LA, Orange Co. (some even farther...)

It sounds like Long Beach might be the only coastal city that I can afford, and has easy access to highways.

Any suggestions on Long Beach, where to look where to avoid etc. Also up for other options if you have them!

Thanks again!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Good Neighorhoods followed by freeway:
Coastal:
Downtown will put you by the 710.
East Long Beach can put you near the 22/605 or 405.
Belmont Shore, Belmont Heights, Naples, and Bluff Park/East Arts District are more or less between the 710 and 22/605/405 interchange.

Inland:
Bixby Knolls puts you near the 710/405 interchange
Signal Hill puts you near the 405

Old 10-29-2008, 12:05 PM

829 posts, read 2,954,549 times
Long Beach also borders Seal Beach which is a great and awesome little community...I dont know the price ranges, but I would much rather live in or next to seal beach rather then further into long beach. However at that range you would be a few miles farther away then the freeways.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 35,046 times
Like most others recommended, Long Beach is probably the best area for you. Here is a little in-depth overview of Long Beach and the surrounding cities by area code:

90802 Downtown Long Beach New apartments and condos. It is one of the most affordable Downtowns in Southern California. Culture, nightlife,and shopping.

90803 Belmont Shore and Naples most expensive section in Long Beach and one of the most desirable too. close to the beach, Cal State Long Beach.Also Alamitos Beach, Carroll Park affordable areas in this Zip Code. Some night life and culture.

90804 East Long Beach dicey working class area.

90805 North Long Beach hit and miss rent a house vs rent apt in this area houses are a better deal. Location above Del Amo Blvd and East of the LA River.

90806 Vista del Sol and Wrigley District one of the most diverse areas in Long Beach; working class and middle class area.

90807 Bixby Knolls, California Heights, Ridgewood, Los Cerritos. California Heights a historical district from Wardlow to 36th St and LA River and Cherry Ave. Homes built from 1920's to the 1940's Bungalows in Arts and Crafts, English Tudor, Spanish Colonials designs. Bixby Knolls middle class area with shops on Atlantic Ave from 36th to Del Amo Blvd a variety of housing designs ranch, cape cod, Federal Style and spanish colonials. Los Cerritos custom grand estates on 18,000 sf to 2 acres lots a variety of design similar to Bixby Knolls also both neighborhood have contemporary designs. The community surround the prestigous Virginia County Club. Plenty of Condos and Apartments in this zip code from triplex to large apartment complexes.

90808 Plaza,El Dorado Park, Country Square and Long Beach City College area. LBCC area have 4-plex apartments, and homes on lots from 12,000 sft to 1/2 acre lots. Lots of college kids and professors. The Plaza district (California ranch designs, New Orleans design not availble despite the name) many single family homes some apartment and condos. Major parks includes Heartwell Park (Southern Calfornia poor mans imatation (sic) N Y Central Park and San Francisco's Golden Gate without the Palace of Fine Arts and other attractions.) Also El Dorado Park and Nature Center split between the City Of Long Beach and Los Angeles County. Theres a golf course too at Heartwell. Plus Skylinks Golf Course newly remodeled in the area.

90810 West Long Beach (west of LA River) again Dicey working class.

90813 Central City diversity yes safety no.

90814 Belmont Heights Lower Heights expensive and desirable single family homes, condos and apartments. Upper Heights more affordable that Lower Heights more apartments. Lower Belmont below Anaheim St. Upper Belmont below Pacific Coast Highway all west of Redondo east of Cherry.

90815 Los Altos, Park Estates and University Heights. Los Altos plenty of single family homes, duplex, 4-plexes and few apartments. Park Estates lots of custom homes and large tract homes on large lots. More apartments near Cal State University, Long Beach in Univerisity Heights Recreation Park and Colorado Lagoon where people go for relax or play sports. There a golf course nearby.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles