Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:04 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,504,253 times

Advertisements

What ethnic/racial group does a Lesbian belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
South LA is actually majority Latino now, thus the gang conflicts. East LA is overwhelmingly Hispanic but the rest of the city is fairly integrated with mixture of all ethnic\racial groups in my opinion. For example, my neighbors are a black\white couple, a Lesbian, Asian, Jewish, Anglo, Latino & I don't think this is unique in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 08:06 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,504,253 times
You got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The segregation in Los Angeles is mostly economic. Poor neighborhoods are mostly Latino or Black. Latinos are the largest ethnic group in LA & live thru-out the city. Asians also are a large racial group in LA & also live all over the city but have certain cultural neighborhoods.

I don't believe there is intentional segregation in California but more along economic lines.

BTW the word is "Angeleno"

Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
People do segregate themselves but it's not as serious as the news makes it out to be. News blows everything out of proportion.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,637,932 times
except...

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Yep, no real integration any level (social, economic or otherwise), with the bulk of the minorities living in poverty (I'm talking LA PROPER here; there are some exceptions: Ladera Heights, Baldwin Vista, Windsor Hills for Blacks, and various smatterings of Asians here and there spring to mind)

With the bulk of future immigration coming from Hispanics, a group notorious for rejecting integration (using the present as an indicator), I don't see it getting anybody either-especially when they're done chasing out what little Blacks are left.
i hope you don't mean to suggest that all blacks in LA not living in one of its affluent black enclaves are living in poverty. none of the black people i know are impoverished, and we live thoughout LA (including non-ghetto portions of the supposedly-white valley), as well as the surrounding cities of inglewood, culver city, santa monica, burbank, pasadena, carson, and even compton. (yes, i know people who live in compton, and aren't poor. imagine that!)

Last edited by katenik; 10-29-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
all the energy i had for this subject was spent here: //www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ml#post3286616.

i can't think of anything i would like to add.
Excellent summary, katenik

Old 10-29-2008, 08:34 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
What ethnic/racial group does a Lesbian belong.
Just an example of lifestyle diversity in LA [no offense meant]. Aside from West Hollywood, gays\lesbians live all over the city & represent every ethnic\racial group.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:48 PM

15 posts, read 18,614 times
I know there's a wealthy black man who has a beach house in Venice. I pass there whenever I'm walking along the coastline of Venice.

Venice (and West LA as a whole) happens to be one of my favorite spots in Los Angeles, with the second being Hollywood.

I see a lot of black people on the Westside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
except...

i hope you don't mean to suggest that all blacks in LA not living in one of its affluent black enclaves is living in poverty. none of the black people i know are impoverished, and we live thoughout LA (including non-ghetto portions of the supposedly-white valley), as well as the surrounding cities of inglewood, culver city, santa monica, burbank, pasadena, carson, and even compton. (yes, i know people who live in compton, and aren't poor. imagine that!)

Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Doubt there are any urban regions in world that aren't economically segregated and/or self-segregated along various socio-economic lines....

For ex., in NYC region, many wealthy Jews still have an aversion to many of the WASP-dominated co-ops on UpperEastSide...or the WASP ethos of suburban Greenwich....

In SF region, many wealthy Jews view SF's PacificHts as less welcoming...and prefer to reside in suburban Atherton....

In Chicago, many affluent Asians prefer to live in own upscale ghetto suburbs like OakBrook, as some perceive NorthShore suburbs like LakeForest or Winnetka as less friendly....and some WASPs view an affluent NorthShore suburb like HighlandPark as "too Jewish"....and some Jews view LakeForest or Winnetka as "too WASPy"...

Arguably those people secure in their own achievements and abilities shouldn't be scared enough to seek out ethnic ghettos, no matter how "upscale"....

Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 PM

73 posts, read 216,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post
Yep, no real integration any level (social, economic or otherwise), with the bulk of the minorities living in poverty (I'm talking LA PROPER here; there are some exceptions: Ladera Heights, Baldwin Vista, Windsor Hills for Blacks, and various smatterings of Asians here and there spring to mind)

With the bulk of future immigration coming from Hispanics, a group notorious for rejecting integration (using the present as an indicator), I don't see it getting anybody either-especially when they're done chasing out what little Blacks are left.
Notorious for rejecting integration? I must have missed that one. I see your point though, what with all the Hispanics sticking to themselves in East L.A. and not venturing out to be present in every neighborhood, or anything like that.

Chasing out Blacks?
I guess if you want to call middle-class African-Americans moving out of South Central to the Inland Empire(which has a lot of Hispanics as well), and other places "chasing away".

Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner123 View Post
I'm reading articles where it say "Los Angeles is a diverse city, but remains residental segregated". Does anyone believe that?

What's up with non-Californians and these articles? Are there any integrated neighborhoods in the City of LA?
I don't understand the perspective you are coming from. Here you seem to be asking this question as an outsider, as if you don't live here, and as if you are not familiar with the demographics of LA. And then in another post you say the following.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner123 View Post
I know there's a wealthy black man who has a beach house in Venice. I pass there whenever I'm walking along the coastline of Venice.

Venice (and West LA as a whole) happens to be one of my favorite spots in Los Angeles, with the second being Hollywood.

I see a lot of black people on the Westside.
Do you live in LA? If so, you can't see and determine for yourself if LA has integrated areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles