Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:56 PM

115 posts, read 326,885 times

Advertisements

What are the best areas to live if you plan on using the metro as a main method of transportation?

Also what areas are the best investment that has a station?

I have been looking at N.Hollywood but heard it might be a little dangerous. Can anyone help me go over pros and cons of the neighborhoods with stations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:05 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,345 times
What is your budget?

I don't know much about North Hollywood, but I will tell you the 3 stations I know the most about. They are from the lower half of the Gold Line:

Mt. Washington is nice, and has a station, but the houses on the side with the station are more expensive than the houses on the other side. No grocery stores, and steep hills. If you are walking groceries up those steep hills, it would... um... be a GREAT workout!

Highland Park is inexpensive, but not as safe/nice/upscale as the rest of the gold line. There is a Super-A grocery store, lots of other businesses, and plenty of buses.

South Pasadena (Mission Station) is super-nice, super-safe, and there are affordable apartments which are walkable to the station, as well as to Trader Joe's and the farmer's market. Other grocery stores are a bit more of a hike.

I've answered you as if you are going to be using ONLY public transportation, although I realize that you might also have a car. It does give you a sort of sense of the neighborhoods, though, to know what is around.

Hope this helps...

Old 02-03-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
What is your budget?

I don't know much about North Hollywood, but I will tell you the 3 stations I know the most about. They are from the lower half of the Gold Line:

Mt. Washington is nice, and has a station, but the houses on the side with the station are more expensive than the houses on the other side. No grocery stores, and steep hills. If you are walking groceries up those steep hills, it would... um... be a GREAT workout!

Highland Park is inexpensive, but not as safe/nice/upscale as the rest of the gold line. There is a Super-A grocery store, lots of other businesses, and plenty of buses.

South Pasadena (Mission Station) is super-nice, super-safe, and there are affordable apartments which are walkable to the station, as well as to Trader Joe's and the farmer's market. Other grocery stores are a bit more of a hike.

I've answered you as if you are going to be using ONLY public transportation, although I realize that you might also have a car. It does give you a sort of sense of the neighborhoods, though, to know what is around.

Hope this helps...
I haven't considered these options, all 3 sound interesting and worth looking into. Is the Gold line a light rail or is it a bus line? I might be crazy, but I am hoping that I don't have to use the bus lines, only rail.

Are there any of the neigborhoods along the rail lines Industrial? Perhaps undergoing a change where there are more entertainment venues moving in. Also, which of the neighborhoods along the rail lines would be thought of as a hippy or artistic collective?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,631 times
How about living near the Sunset/Vermont station in Los Feliz. Los Feliz is safe, hip, walkable, and should be relatively stable in regards to investment due to the central location and popularity of the hood.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
where are you going to work? areas around the blue line in long beach are nice(downtown, bixby knolls, wrigley, virginia and lakewood country clubs, the city of signal hill, etc)

Old 02-03-2009, 02:57 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,343 times
Los Feliz is fantastic. If only it wasn't so expensive. If your budget allows you to afford Los Feliz, that soulds like a winner to me too.

If your budget doesn't go up that high, the Koreatown stations of Vermont/Wilshire, Normandie/Wilshire and Western/Wilshire are all good. They are all within walking distance to grocery stores, banks, post offices, etc. so bringing the groceries home would not be an issue. Also, there are very good mixes of affordable housing nearby. Every year the neighborhoods continue to upgrade here with brand new apartment complexes, brand new condos, and new shopping options. Within the next few years, there will be a brand new mall at Vermont/Wilshire.

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM

672 posts, read 2,174,684 times
The best connected neighborhood in the whole of the city is Chinatown, north-west of Union Station. It is at the nexus of the Red, Gold, and Metrolink trains.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,418,096 times
North Hollywood is NOT unsafe.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM

I've been browsing a few listings for pre-foreclosure lofts in the Pershing square area, which has a stop. Anybody in the know with this place?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
the gold line is light rail. and the new extension is just opening up this year.

but that goes to the east side. on that leg of the route i would stay closer to the j town stop. at first and alameda. its at the edge of little tokyo. if you go further east you are in boyle heights.

as for buses. if you choose a major street like whittier/6th/wilshire you can take the rapid bus. they are the most reliable of the buses, even during later hours.

stick to rail and the rapids.

you can also look at the washington stop on the blue line. that is industrial. a bit of a dodgey area, but we all need adventure everynow and then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machino View Post
I haven't considered these options, all 3 sound interesting and worth looking into. Is the Gold line a light rail or is it a bus line? I might be crazy, but I am hoping that I don't have to use the bus lines, only rail.

Are there any of the neigborhoods along the rail lines Industrial? Perhaps undergoing a change where there are more entertainment venues moving in. Also, which of the neighborhoods along the rail lines would be thought of as a hippy or artistic collective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles