U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 7,795,092 times

Advertisements

I have always noticed this but I never was able to talk to anybody about it until I found this forum but I have noticed when I moved here to California that racial groups tend to self segregate themselves.

For instance in Diamond Bar, Rolland heights and a small but growing area in Irvine you have all the Asian people.

Take a drive to Pomona, Huntington Park, or Baldwin Park and you will think you are in Mexico.

Skip a few towns and in Baldwin Hills, Compton, or Long beach and you will see mostly Afro Americans.

Last but not least, in most parts of Orange county (Huntington beach) you will find Caucasian people.

The history of all these city's is very interesting becasue many of the areas back in the 50's use to be mostly Caucasian but as more orange groves were cut down to make room for new development further out from L.A minority's moved into the areas that the Caucasians moved out of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 AM

61,284 posts, read 83,949,239 times
that is bek diversity does not work.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM

13 posts, read 30,228 times
That's right! Everyone wants to stick with their own kind, since their group are the only ones they can trust!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 AM

16,798 posts, read 38,023,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Last but not least, in most parts of Orange county (Huntington beach) you will find Caucasian people.

Most parts of Orange County or just Huntington Beach? Make up your mind.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

lol!!! Yea, I would say mostly because you have a wide range of differences from food to what you find humerus that makes it hard to get along in a long term living situation.

I'm from back east and I can honestly say that because we don't have all the space that California has we learn to get together as best we can. Everybody will ride the train or bus if they haft too, we all let our hair out at the same night club strips, and we all go to the same schools unless you are really deep in a urban neighborhood.

I still find it a little strange, I had a friend who lived in the heart of Watts, Ca. She only went to beautiful Huntington Beach about two times in her life, she was about 24, and did not want to go back. Another person I knew did not feel comfortable being in Orange county becasue there were only Caucasians walking around. I'm sure its vice versa when people drive in other parts of L.A. I will admit, I did feel like a man from Mars when I was in Huntington park. There is just no other racial groups over there. I mean, when you get gas or food or go to the bank people talk to you in THICK broken English. It does happen to me sometimes in Rolland heights too...

Last edited by Morphous01; 10-30-2008 at 02:27 AM..

Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM

7,220 posts, read 21,217,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Diversity works for people who are willing to accept it. Diversity doesn't work for people who don't want to be around people who are different from themselves.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:55 PM

3,497 posts, read 6,082,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Diversity works for people who are willing to accept it. Diversity doesn't work for people who don't want to be around people who are different from themselves.
I agree. For me, I embrace diversity and would rather live in a neighborhood that's racially diverse as opposed to being predominately black, white, hispanic or other. However, I have to admit that in my neighborhood of about 180 homes, my family might be the only third black family living in it. I would say that my neighborhood is 80% white, 15% hispanic, 4% asian, and black I guess we fall under 1%.

As far as people trusting each other because of being the same race, I disagree with that. There are just as many black people of any race whom I don't trust because I don't know about their back ground or value system. If you are white and christian like me and my other neighbor is black and non religious, I would feel more comfortable with that white neighbor because we have Christianity in common.

People tend to live around people who have the same values (in most cases culturally and financially) as they do. At least, that's what I have noticed in the IE of Southern CA.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,153,043 times
It is human nature to go towards those like you when you are introduced to a new area. So the movement starts small and as the areas grow it looks more and more segregated.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:31 PM

26,342 posts, read 90,457,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I embrace diversity and would rather live in a neighborhood that's racially diverse.....my family might be the only third black family....
Would you feel exactly the same if your daughter married a black guy versus a white guy, an Asian guy, or an Hispanic guy?

Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 PM

Hmmm, this actually opens up a good discussion. My older friend just told me that he believes that over all inter racial relationships do not work in the long run and said I should just marry my own kind.

If people do intermarry ( and it seems to me) one of the persons seem to be successful and make good money to offset the cultural differences. Had the two been poor they would have most likely married there own kind. For example, most of the black men in Hollywood date out there race, had they been average or poor they would be with there own kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles