Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:58 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Unless there's a physical reason why someone can't drive, yeah, its crazy to spend so much effort avoiding the simplest solution to getting from point A to point B.
How about someone who just struggles with driving behind the wheel and does not have any other option but to pay $60 per 2 hours of practice (and this was in 2003 so who knows what the prices are now). I ended up spending over a grand and attempted the driver's test twice. I finally had to give it up as I could no longer continue to throw my money away. With the cost of buying, insuring, maintaining and gasing a vehicle; driving is a luxury that I just cannot afford right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
This isn't New York.
If NYC weren't so cold in the winter, I'd seriously consider relocating there just for the public transportation options alone! This is what I hate about So. Cal so much!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Just for the record, it's possible to live in many other cities and not own a car. Also, I ride the bus here on a daily basis, and I'm hardly a "bum" or "low-class worker." In fact, I'm a well-educated (Masters' Degree), licensed Special Ed teacher.
Same here ... I just received my masters in counseling.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
How about someone who just struggles with driving behind the wheel and does not have any other option but to pay $60 per 2 hours of practice (and this was in 2003 so who knows what the prices are now). I ended up spending over a grand and attempted the driver's test twice. I finally had to give it up as I could no longer continue to throw my money away. With the cost of buying, insuring, maintaining and gasing a vehicle; driving is a luxury that I just cannot afford right now.
I just don't get that. The average 16 year old can pass the test after 6 hours behind the wheel.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:32 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
In NYC, public transit is used by the wealthy, poor, and middle class alike. It is a fabulous system. No one drives in NY if they can avoid it as public transit is usually faster.

In LA, public transit is used almost exclusively by the poor. Some commuters do use the new rail system. But most of LA's transit is accomplished via bus.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:39 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
sounds like your problem is fear, not driving. the act of driving really isn't that difficult, but i know firsthand that anxiety can really mess with your head. if you ever want to try again, tackle the anxiety, instead of the car. i bet you already know how to drive.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
Get a car or be prepared to be an hour early or incredibly late to almost everywhere you go. AT least in a car you can try to get around traffic. On public transportation, you are stuck. And public transportation is not the most reliable so your bus may show up, it may not. Your guess is as good as theirs.

Take public transportation at your own risk.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I just don't get that. The average 16 year old can pass the test after 6 hours behind the wheel.
I'm not an average 16 year old. It isn't easy for everyone to get a license.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
sounds like your problem is fear, not driving. the act of driving really isn't that difficult, but i know firsthand that anxiety can really mess with your head. if you ever want to try again, tackle the anxiety, instead of the car. i bet you already know how to drive.
It isn't anxiety. It's a coordination issue. The only thing that will work for me is intensive practice and I just don't have the money to continue to "rent" the driving school's vehicles for practice.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:31 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
In NYC, public transit is used by the wealthy, poor, and middle class alike. It is a fabulous system. No one drives in NY if they can avoid it as public transit is usually faster.

In LA, public transit is used almost exclusively by the poor. Some commuters do use the new rail system. But most of LA's transit is accomplished via bus.
Everyone rides Metro Rail: poor, rich, middle-class, you name it. I took it for years (Blue Line) and now use the Gold and Red Lines fairly often. Further, the commuters transferring from Metrolink trains to the subway don't look poor to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles