Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:33 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,701 times

Advertisements

40 minute drive doesn't sound bad. Hell it takes me 45min to hour to get into our major city in Wilmington now days.. and the commute w/o traffic is about 15-20min.

Traffic is getting worse everywhere, granted its definitely worse there, but its not great other places either..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:39 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
40 minute drive doesn't sound bad. Hell it takes me 45min to hour to get into our major city in Wilmington now days.. and the commute w/o traffic is about 15-20min.

Traffic is getting worse everywhere, granted its definitely worse there, but its not great other places either..

It should be great and efficient everywhere.. Problem is that quality of life in the U.S. has taken a back seat these days....

Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 PM

143 posts, read 413,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Take up surfing as well...i live in maryland and surf here but have spent a lot of time out west surfing.
You Live Over The Eastern Shore?

Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,161,747 times
Gotta compare LA traffic vs its peers....

Much faster traffic flow (and essentially no winter weather slowdowns) in LA vs NYC or Chicago regions...

LA flows are much slower than the SF-SiliconValley fwys, which are prob fastest urban fwys in world (esp the 280 fwy on SF Peninsula)

Amusing when people in LA complain about traffic; have always found LA remarkably efficient for commuting vs many lesser, smaller urban regions...guess it's like when people in LA complain about a few days of winter rain; gotta complain about something, right???...

In any of these regions, most savvy people try to live as close to office as poss; commute at off-hrs; and know which fwys tend to flow faster than others....the crowd on the freeways at ~8AM anywhere in world tends to be clueless, sloppy, slow drivers....the crowd of workaholics blitzing to office by 6AM tends to be more focused, safer drivers....

Old 11-07-2008, 08:35 AM

830 posts, read 2,860,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Gotta compare LA traffic vs its peers....

Much faster traffic flow (and essentially no winter weather slowdowns) in LA vs NYC or Chicago regions...

LA flows are much slower than the SF-SiliconValley fwys, which are prob fastest urban fwys in world (esp the 280 fwy on SF Peninsula)

Amusing when people in LA complain about traffic; have always found LA remarkably efficient for commuting vs many lesser, smaller urban regions...guess it's like when people in LA complain about a few days of winter rain; gotta complain about something, right???...

In any of these regions, most savvy people try to live as close to office as poss; commute at off-hrs; and know which fwys tend to flow faster than others....the crowd on the freeways at ~8AM anywhere in world tends to be clueless, sloppy, slow drivers....the crowd of workaholics blitzing to office by 6AM tends to be more focused, safer drivers....

Commute at off hours? That would mean I leave my house at 6 am and leave work at 8 pm. Sounds reasonable, right?

Last night, eastbound on the 10, at 9:30 pm, traffic was backed up from downtown LA almost to Santa Monica. At 6 am on the 10 westbound in the morning traffic is already stopped. That's reasonable, huh?

I agree with you that traffic, generally speaking, moves much better in LA than in many other cities. However, given the shear number of cars on the road "rush hour" is a pretty constant thing throughout the day.

I'm from Dallas originally. There people don't think much about living 30-40+ miles from work because even then they can get to work in under an hour (depending on the destination of course). Here, that kind of commute can easily be 2 or more hours. Big difference. That and rush hour tends to be only during the times you would think would be rush hour. Not 6 am to 9 pm, or 3 am (yes, I've been caught in a traffic jam at 3 am in LA).

Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman View Post
I'm from Dallas originally. There people don't think much about living 30-40+ miles from work because even then they can get to work in under an hour (depending on the destination of course). Here, that kind of commute can easily be 2 or more hours. Big difference. That and rush hour tends to be only during the times you would think would be rush hour. Not 6 am to 9 pm, or 3 am (yes, I've been caught in a traffic jam at 3 am in LA).
I've found the same thing in Denver. Hop on the freeway there at 6pm and its free flowing because everyone's home already. I'd like to see the ratio of miles driven to lane-miles for various cities. Denver or Dallas may have 6 lane freeways instead of 10 lane freeways (40% less capacity) but the number of people trying to use them is probably 75% less. SoCal just has too many people for its infrastructure.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 AM

37 posts, read 110,470 times
OP, you ROCK!!

Been out here 5 months already (or ONLY been out here for 5 months, depending on how you want to look at it), and been driving from Studio City to Downtown since mid-August - as gas has gotten cheaper the drive has gotten longer, but:

SO WHAT?!? My friends in New Jersey are already warming up their cars - and I 'crawl' through sunshine and palm trees each morning. At least twice a day, sometimes while I'm in traffic, I find myself unwittingly grinning from ear to ear - and that, above all else, is why I love LA.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 90,446 times
GREAT post! You have an excellent attitude, very similar to the attitude i strongly believe i'll have when i finally get to la this spring. i am more than prepared for commuting/traffic, and honestly dont mind sitting in the car as ive always had pretty long commutes historically. plus, like chrisardin said, i'd rather be sitting in the sunshine in CA than having to scrape snow and ice off my car every damn day for 6 months of the year!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 AM

485 posts, read 1,703,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishardin View Post
OP, you ROCK!!

Been out here 5 months already (or ONLY been out here for 5 months, depending on how you want to look at it), and been driving from Studio City to Downtown since mid-August - as gas has gotten cheaper the drive has gotten longer, but:

SO WHAT?!? My friends in New Jersey are already warming up their cars - and I 'crawl' through sunshine and palm trees each morning. At least twice a day, sometimes while I'm in traffic, I find myself unwittingly grinning from ear to ear - and that, above all else, is why I love LA.
Give yourself a little more time in the LA traffic...that smile will come off of your face pretty quickly! When I first got to LA I was fine with the traffic and all of the hustle and bustle, but it got old pretty quickly and I was looking for a way out.

That being said, I have to agree with the OP: spend your money on experiences, not things. Very smart advice no matter where you live!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I wonder if the original poster and her fans will be whistling the same tune when they meet Mr. Right and they're looking for nice homes with good schools near their jobs.

Now, if Mr. Right is also Dr. Right or something like that (and he doesn't have three or four alimony or child support responsibilities) then maybe it will be no problem.

(image not protected by copyright)

Last edited by Charles; 11-09-2008 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles