Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:47 PM

7 posts, read 48,534 times

Advertisements

I am 29 years old. I have been working in the film industry for the last 9 years. Recently I have decided that this is not what I want to do with the rest of my life. I've always wanted to become a firefighter. It is something I could be proud of. My background will show (in all seriousness) experimental drug use when I was younger; as in light marijuana use in high school (over 10 yrs. ago), cocaine twice (over three years ago), ecstasy 4-5 times over 7 years ago, and lsd once over 7 years ago. Not proud of it, but it is what I did and it is in the past. Today, I am engaged and have a 7 month old daughter. I took the la city online preliminary background application and it told me that I wouldn't qualify to become a firefighter. Does anyone else have any experience with this or know how I should proceed? I need advice, any help or am I just SOL? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Do you have to admit to drug use like that when you apply? haha.

It's interesting you are switching from film to firefighting as a desired career, I'm sorry to hear film didn't work out. I am pursuing film, but I have to be honest one of the backup professions I'd consider is law enforcement, haha, just because it'd be something interesting at least and the pay wouldn't be bad all things considered.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikikas View Post
I am 29 years old. I have been working in the film industry for the last 9 years. Recently I have decided that this is not what I want to do with the rest of my life. I've always wanted to become a firefighter. It is something I could be proud of. My background will show (in all seriousness) experimental drug use when I was younger; as in light marijuana use in high school (over 10 yrs. ago), cocaine twice (over three years ago), ecstasy 4-5 times over 7 years ago, and lsd once over 7 years ago. Not proud of it, but it is what I did and it is in the past. Today, I am engaged and have a 7 month old daughter. I took the la city online preliminary background application and it told me that I wouldn't qualify to become a firefighter. Does anyone else have any experience with this or know how I should proceed? I need advice, any help or am I just SOL? Thanks!
What about your other qualifications? Education? Experience? I've read the becoming a firefighter is competitive. What would make you stand out?

Old 11-11-2008, 04:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
How will your "background" show light mj use back in high school? As for drug use after that point, if it involve convictions, fawgeeddabawdit.

If there are no convictions or arrests for your past drug use, it doesn't exist. Don't mention it.

Additionally, I wouldn't waste my time trying for LA City or County unless I had a 4 year degree.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Do they give polygraphs when applying to be a firefighter? I know they do for LAPD but I wasn't aware they did it for firefighters as well.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:06 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Additionally, I wouldn't waste my time trying for LA City or County unless I had a 4 year degree.
I would add on to this statement "unless you are a minority."

I have friends who are firefighters and have told me that if you are a minority and can pass the academy you are practically gauranteed a position in the department. If you are white, it is going to be much more difficult.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:16 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I would add on to this statement "unless you are a minority."

I have friends who are firefighters and have told me that if you are a minority and can pass the academy you are practically gauranteed a position in the department. If you are white, it is going to be much more difficult.
not true, i have enough friends who are fire fighters who arent minorities. and i also have friends AND A BROTHER who has been trying to be a firefighter as well. college athletes, fit, smart, "minority", good backgrounds. they are having trouble. my brother has only been able to join the reserves. hes on a wait list.

there is a hiring freeze right now. thats the biggest problem. and if there wasnt, minority status would not matter much. besides the "good ol boys club" mentality still exists in many houses. it does not matter what you look like, a lot of times its who you know.

anyhow if the OP is serious about being a FF, try it out. have you thought of taking fire science classes first? rio hondo cc has a fire academy. you can start there. talk to other people interested in the field. talk to professors. firemen. get their perspectives. some of my buddies who did make it arent the pick of the litter. one of them in particular i wonder about. i think his military service might have helped him. hes a great guy, jsut not very bright.

lots of factors to consider.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
How will your "background" show light mj use back in high school? As for drug use after that point, if it involve convictions, fawgeeddabawdit.

If there are no convictions or arrests for your past drug use, it doesn't exist. Don't mention it.

I don't have any convictions, but the first thing you do for LA City is a background interview online. It asks specific questions about drug use, criminal history, credit, etc. Later, a polygraph is to be taken. If the polygraph shows you lied on the background interview, automatic disqualification. Am I to be honest on the background interview, or does it not matter.

As far as education. I do not have a degree. but firefighter friends have told me that I won't need a bachelor's degree, but having my emt and a firefighter 1 certificate would be plenty for getting hired. I am prepared to get the cert, but don't want to spend the money and time for nothing.

Do you have experience with this?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
not true, i have enough friends who are fire fighters who arent minorities. and i also have friends AND A BROTHER who has been trying to be a firefighter as well. college athletes, fit, smart, "minority", good backgrounds. they are having trouble. my brother has only been able to join the reserves. hes on a wait list.

there is a hiring freeze right now. thats the biggest problem. and if there wasnt, minority status would not matter much. besides the "good ol boys club" mentality still exists in many houses. it does not matter what you look like, a lot of times its who you know.

anyhow if the OP is serious about being a FF, try it out. have you thought of taking fire science classes first? rio hondo cc has a fire academy. you can start there. talk to other people interested in the field. talk to professors. firemen. get their perspectives. some of my buddies who did make it arent the pick of the litter. one of them in particular i wonder about. i think his military service might have helped him. hes a great guy, jsut not very bright.

lots of factors to consider.
Do you know of Verdugo Fire Academy? They work with Glendale College. Fire Tech courses at the college and FF training at the academy. Problem, it takes a year, making me 31. Thank you for your input

Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikikas View Post
Do you know of Verdugo Fire Academy? They work with Glendale College. Fire Tech courses at the college and FF training at the academy. Problem, it takes a year, making me 31. Thank you for your input
well age means nothing. if you can handle the rigors of the academy then you will be ok. they do some serious running and heavy lifting. also dont forget that the hiring process is a bit lengthy.

i am not familiar with the verduga academy. there is also one in santa ana. those guys(that i know) get hired pretty quickly(1-2 years).

but emt classes and cert are a good start. thats what my brother did. that along with reserve work looks real good. but the way the budget is now in CA, who knows when depts will be hiring. its always a gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles