Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 AM

52 posts, read 205,874 times

Advertisements

Though not a movie about Los Angeles, Reservoir Dogs was shot in Highland Park, Eagle Rock, Mid-Wilshire, North Hollywood and downtown.

LA Confidential is my favorite LA movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,225,916 times
I like the older stuff, like 'Criss Cross' and 'Kiss Me Deadly', both filmed on Bunker Hill in the mid-1950's. And don't forget 'Chinatown' and 'The Two Jakes.'

Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 PM

114 posts, read 452,662 times
Forgot Die Hard...

Old 11-21-2008, 09:16 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,340,446 times
"Till the End of Time" starring Robert Mitchum, Guy Madison and Dorothy McGuire was made in 1946. It provides up close outside and interior shots of a working class Craftsman bungalow from the 1910s, and a middle class Spanish Colonial Revival from the 1920s. These are actual homes not movie sets. If you want to see classic pre-war California architecture this movie is a good first start.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,026 times
Smile Invitation to see independent film "Waiting In Beijing"

Some of you movie afficianados may enjoy this.

There is a North American release red carpet movie premiere for the film Waiting In Beijing on December 10th in Beverly Hills, CA at the Fine Arts Theatre. Some of Hollywood's hottest celebrities will be there and by calling the RSVP line you will get free tickets to attend the red carpet event and see the film. If you are interested please call 877-261-0177 and state you are a guest of George Kerry. Website is located at [url=http://www.waitinginbeijing.com]Waiting in Beijing: Official Motion Picture Website[/url]

Old 11-22-2008, 03:25 PM

52 posts, read 155,060 times
encino man

Old 11-22-2008, 04:42 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,225,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
"Till the End of Time" starring Robert Mitchum, Guy Madison and Dorothy McGuire was made in 1946. It provides up close outside and interior shots of a working class Craftsman bungalow from the 1910s, and a middle class Spanish Colonial Revival from the 1920s. These are actual homes not movie sets. If you want to see classic pre-war California architecture this movie is a good first start.
Thanks for the tip- I will watch for that one. I also forgot 'Mildred Pierce' (1947... I think?). Saw that last year at the Million Dollar Theatre. Great shots of Burbank and seaside L.A.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 AM

897 posts, read 1,584,604 times
I like movies that are filmed in L.A. but manage to make the city look ambiguous. The best example of this I can think of right now is SE7EN. Mostly filmed in downtown L.A. and managed to make the city look like any dirty metropolis in the U.S.A.
But, for a movie strictly about L.A. and L.A. issues that hasn't been posted yet: Who Framed Roger Rabit? is a good satire at what happened with the redcars.
Someone else posted Mi Familia. That is an EXCELLENT movie that should not be missed.
Nobody's posted Born In East L.A. yet and, eventhough it's about a guy trying to get out of Tijuana, Mexico; the beginning of the movie shows a great deal of L.A. If you manage to catch the extended version, it's way more politically poignant in its satire than the theatrical release.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:38 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,348,092 times
Some of the 50's film noir stuff is great. Bogart and Bacall in "The Big Sleep", or Fred MacMurray and the sexy Barbara Stanwick in "Double Indemnity", but one I especially like is Warren Beatty's, "Shampoo', made in the mid '70's, its set in November 1968, the presidential election between Nixon, Humphrey and Wallace as a backdrop.

Warren Beatty's character is decidedly non-political, a womanizing Bevery Hills hairdresser who has aspirations of opening his own shop and tries to get financing from Jack Warden, shady businessman and husband of Lee Grant, one of the many women Beatty is doing, in addition to Julie Cristie, lover of Warden. This movie also stars Goldie Hawn and a very young Carrie Fischer, who plays teenage daughter of Warden and Grant and who Beatty also beds. Few movies capture the time and the place as well.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:51 PM

142 posts, read 271,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkinhill View Post
Pulp Fiction
Crash
Ed Wood
L.A. Confidential
Chinatown
Harsh Times
Street Kings
Training Day
Dark Blue
Colors
Boogie Nights
Jackie Brown
American History X
Boyz N The Hood
Those are all good but nobody has so far mentioned Collateral with Tom Cruise an Jamie Foxx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles