Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:07 AM

172 posts, read 520,973 times

Advertisements

Where and Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:08 AM

190 posts, read 441,381 times
It depends on the budget and where you work, and I'm only speaking from traveling and visiting experience, but I'm partial to certain parts of the southern SFV (Studio City, Sherman Oaks), all of West LA, Eagle Rock, and the revitalized Downtown (an ongoing project). Most of those are moderately-to-hugely expensive though. Outside of LA-proper, Pasadena, Burbank, and the beach cities (Santa Monica, Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, Torrance- my girlfriend lived there for 20 years) are my favs.

Why? Generally these are the safest places with the most to do and usually surrounded by good professional job opportunities. However they are expensive, so living alone and working as a clerk at In-n-out won't cut it.

I'd love to live in one of these parts of LA, but right now the $$ ain't there and neither is the economy. Some day, with the help of savings, advancement, and a government which knows what the heck it's doin', those things may turn around.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
Long Beach, because it's about as not-LA as you get in LA in an urban/suburban co-existance

Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 AM

190 posts, read 441,381 times
I knew I needed more coffee. Yes throw Long Beach in there. There are some decently affordable dwellings to be had there, so I hear.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,828,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcassin View Post
Where and Why?
As others have said, in order to determine the best place for YOU, it will depend on a few factors:

Where do you work?
Any kids? If so, what ages?
Your monthly housing budget?
Will you buy or Rent?

The best places for me (Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Woodland Hills) may not be the best places for you. If you can answer the above questions it would help us greatly determine what would be best for YOU.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM

116 posts, read 366,634 times
I say it matters where you work. Theres lotsa good places to live and then there arent.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:49 AM

373 posts, read 1,167,504 times
I am partial to the western San Gabriel Valley. It's very diverse, fairly safe, not as congested as Central LA, and has lots of greenery and open space, yet still very urban and urbane. The architecture in Pasadena is some of the greatest in the LA area. There are also some great school districts.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM

172 posts, read 520,973 times
Yeah I've seen Long Beach thrown about abit in here - I've seen a few nice apartments over there also.

Okay about me....(if I was to move to La)

I would be a nurse working in a hospital - ER or OR
I don't have any kids it would just be myself, my partner and our 2 cats.
We haven't really established a monthly budget on what we would spend on rent - I'd say though no more than $2000 per month.
Our household income would be at the least $100,000 per year if not more.
If we were to move to LA we would rent first - so for now this is all about rentals.

A little about us - I love going out restaurants, cafe's, bars & clubs so I'd like to be close to all of that. We both love shopping - so close to shops to spend all our money. We'd like to embrace the "LA Lifestyle". We're both young 22 & 24. An apartment would be our first preference however we would be open to other sytles of accomodation. Oh and we love the beach.

So based on the above - what do you recommend?

Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
you could live anywhere in the city with that budget. decent 1br apartments can even be found near the beach in santa monica for under $2000. Long Beach is nice and a cool place, but it certainly doesn't offer the same LA Lifestyle that you mentioned you are looking for.

before you decide where to live, you should definitely have a job lined up. you don't want to move to santa monica then end up working at a hospital in pasadena. good luck!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
long beach would save you a lot of money and has its own nightlife. its not hollywood, but you've got plenty to do and great beaches like seal and bolsa chica very close. i would take a good look at downtown long beach, belmont shore, naples, and seal beach. save money, less people/traffic, and still plenty to do.

there are two major hospitals in long beach: st marys(catholic) and long beach memorial(along with the millers childrens hospital). shouldnt take more than 20min to get to them from any part of long beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles