Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city is safest?
Agoura Hills 8 19.51%
Calabasas 15 36.59%
Malibu 6 14.63%
Hidden Hills 10 24.39%
Oak Park 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
but for the ppl that know that area...is that possible? for me to work in one with those cities and afford a condo in agoura hills? and my wife will probably be working too. say we would have a total of $90,000 income
Quote:
I plan to keep my future wife not working, so she can take care of the kids. I am planning to start off with an apartment, and then when we have kids and I have furthered along in my career to become an assoicate planner we will get a house in the city.
Yes with $90K, no loan payments, sure why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes with $90K, no loan payments, sure why not?
so living in any upscale community in california will reguire two incomes i take it then. alright, well i guess i will be needing a wife that can work.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
so living in any upscale community in california will reguire two incomes i take it then. alright, well i guess i will be needing a wife that can work.

No. Owning in any community will take an annual income of about 1/3 (or something like that) the amount you want to borrow plus the down payment amount. All this depends on interest rates too. (My wife never had an income.)

So if you want a $1M house and you make $50K/year then you need an approximate $850K down payment (not figuring taxes).
Or, if you want a $200K house and you are putting 20% down, then you should be making around $50k or $60K.

So the process is, estimate what you will make, multiply by three and add your down payment. That's what you can afford minus loans, taxes, and such.

My numbers may be a little off but my process isn't.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No. Owning in any community will take an annual income of about 1/3 (or something like that) the amount you want to borrow plus the down payment amount. All this depends on interest rates too. (My wife never had an income.)

So if you want a $1M house and you make $50K/year then you need an approximate $850K down payment (not figuring taxes).
Or, if you want a $200K house and you are putting 20% down, then you should be making around $50k or $60K.

So the process is, estimate what you will make, multiply by three and add your down payment. That's what you can afford minus loans, taxes, and such.

My numbers may be a little off but my process isn't.
so me just making $50k be good? or would my wife need to work? like i said i want one kid one day.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
so me just making $50k be good? or would my wife need to work? like i said i want one kid one day.
How much down payment?

Old 12-04-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
How much down payment?
the down payment is the first payment right? i don't think i'm too concerned about that because my parents are quite wealthy and said they could help me pay that. it's the annual payment that i think im concerned on. the condo im going to get is probably going to $200,000 one day. i liked agoura hills because it's a suburb, and i have want to have lived in each type of community (ex-urban, rural, urban, suburban).

I have lived in Oxnard, Ca until I was 8. Then my dad got as job at the youth authority in Paso Robles so up until college I have been living in Templeton, Ca. For college I'm going to be in Northridge (aka Los Angeles), so that's my urban and for then after that I want to be in a good suburban community (agoura hills).

most city planners get their jobs by interning for cities while going to college, and then after college they get their first planning job for that city. and then from that first job you work your way up from planning technician to assistant planner to associate planner (after 4 yrs of experience and have passed the ACIP exam) to senior planner. probably i'll marry when im 25 and have a kid when im 30.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
Aren't you over thinking all this? Just study and get a job, find a wife you love and believe me if your wife wants to live in Maine then thats where you will go! It is good to think and plan ahead, but I think you are putting too much energy in this.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
Aren't you over thinking all this? Just study and get a job, find a wife you love and believe me if your wife wants to live in Maine then thats where you will go! It is good to think and plan ahead, but I think you are putting too much energy in this.
my wife is going to want to stay in california....we going to live in the area i want to live in...

Old 12-04-2008, 11:04 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
my wife is going to want to stay in california....we going to live in the area i want to live in...
Ahh, the thinking of a high schooler.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 AM

106 posts, read 390,174 times
Quote:
but for the ppl that know that area...is that possible? for me to work in one with those cities and afford a condo in agoura hills? and my wife will probably be working too. say we would have a total of $90,000 income
Assuming 90,000 income you would then net ~$5500 after taxes per month. Which means you can afford ~$2000-2500 /month in rent/mortgage. I still think you are far too worried about buying a place because you think this is the way it has to be done. There are some major advantages to renting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles