Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 5,960 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife, 6-month old son and I just moved to the LA area. We are renting for now, but would like to buy a home next year and want to find the ideal neighborhood where we can put down some roots.

Our ideal neighborhood:
- You can get a decent 4 bedroom house with a decent-sized yard for ~$900K.
- I can drive downtown in 45 minutes on average in rush hour (I have a Prius with an HOV sticker)
- Safe
- Good public schools a plus
- A street with a more suburban feel, where you can let your kids go outside to play
- But with cafes, restaurants, shops within walking distance

We love househunting, but it's tougher to get out now with a six month old, so we're hoping to narrow down the neighborhoods we search in before we go looking at a bunch of houses. Your advice (and maybe even pictures of your neighborhood) would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:31 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
south pasadena. i'm not sure how much prices there have been affected by the softened real estate market, but i don't think it would be impossible to find something in your price range or slightly above it. you might have to settle for three bedrooms, instead of four, however. there are many threads here about south pas, if you want to learn more about what it's like, but in general terms, it meets your criteria.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:39 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabra View Post
Hi,

My wife, 6-month old son and I just moved to the LA area. We are renting for now, but would like to buy a home next year and want to find the ideal neighborhood where we can put down some roots.

Our ideal neighborhood:
- I can drive downtown in 45 minutes on average in rush hour (I have a Prius with an HOV sticker)
- Safe
- A street with a more suburban feel, where you can let your kids go outside to play

We love househunting, but it's tougher to get out now with a six month old, so we're hoping to narrow down the neighborhoods we search in before we go looking at a bunch of houses. Your advice (and maybe even pictures of your neighborhood) would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

M.
Malibu.. No you won`t get a 5 acre plot and you may not be next door to Barbera Streisand but property exists for around the $1Mill mark. Give it another six month unless you spot a prime buy and when the prices eventually begin to rise again (2012) you will be one of the first to profit.
Great schools and very safe.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabra View Post
Hi,

Our ideal neighborhood:
- Safe

Thanks!

M.
South Pasadena, San Marino, Sierra Madre. I would suggest Arcadia (good schools) but don't see much there in the way of walkable cafes, restaurants, shops.

Burbank - cheaper, with a CUTE downtown, plenty to do, and good schools. Very walkable and suburban.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
if you dont mind taking the train(metro blue line) into downtown and back you can look at long beach(and some close surrounding cities like seal beach, rossmoor/los alamitos, lakewood country club). in long beach, bixby knolls would put you closest to the train station and east long beach a little further.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Within a 45 minute drive of downtown LA? Without traffic, some of those places are good. With traffic, your standards cannot be met.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
South Pasadena, San Marino, Sierra Madre. I would suggest Arcadia (good schools) but don't see much there in the way of walkable cafes, restaurants, shops.
Agree with all of the above and would like to add the city of Pasadena also maybe LaCanada-Flintridge

Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
add Glendale, La Crescenta and Monrovia to the list. Parts of Culver City might also be a good option. You may also consider some of the areas that are served Metrolink (www.metrolinktrains.com). If you are willing to stretch your commute a bit longer, Fullerton in the OC is nice city with a walkable downtown area.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 AM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
Belmont Shore / Heights

Old 11-21-2008, 11:27 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
I echo the South Pasadena recommendation. Also Larchmont Village. And Mount Washington has a great E.S. (not to mention transit- so does So Pas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles