Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 02:55 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times

Advertisements

I wonder how the new LAUSD high schools perform compared to the existing ones.

The ones that opened in 2005 are:
* Santee Education Center (Los Angeles)
* South East High School (South Gate)

And 2006:
* Arleta High School (Los Angeles)
* Miguel Contreras Learning Complex (Los Angeles)
* East Valley High School (Los Angeles)
* Panorama High School (Los Angeles)

I know that Santee has had problems with gangs and low achievement since its opening: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/schoolme/2006/11/excop_principal.html (broken link) - I'm hoping that the opening of new schools will relieve the existing schools in general and draw problem students (gangsters, taggers) away from existing schools in better neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,555 times
There's a nice community in Santee area devoted to the school but deeply disappointed in LAUSD. All the schools you name are very dangerous and overcrowded. With cuts there is probably not a magnet school option available but you should check to be sure. I am an LAUSD teacher and subbed in that area for a year about 9 years ago. My experience has been harrowing. The students are not the problem. The people running the schools are. They deliberately undermin teachers' relationships w/ Parents and set students up to fail. The kid doesnt count, he is counted. Charter schools are not really much better as a rule. Some parents like k-12 online. It has very good curriculum, provides computers, books and supplies and paces the class for each child. You should also read Moderator cut: link removed to get some insight on what you're dealing with. It's a long shot but when HS sare built on college campuses, they tend to be much better. Theres some on CC and the University too. Most likely full but you never know. Good luck!

Last edited by Count David; 01-02-2012 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: link removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles