Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Future of Los Angeles look bleak, middle class exodus, too many illegal immigrants, high cost of living, high unemployment rates, undiverse economy

Old 12-06-2008, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times

Advertisements

I have read several young people asking about moving to Los Angeles from other parts of the country.I have lived here quite a while and just found this board so I wanted to share with you some of my own opinion.

1. LA is not what it used to be as far as jobs,much of our industry is leaving because of high taxes and regulation.According to forbes magazine
California is one of the most hostile and expensive places in the United States for jobs.

2. NY is much better because it has a more diverse economy.LA depends on the entertainment industry and manufacturing.Much of that manufacturing is leaving and the movie industry may follow behind it in the future because again high taxes.

3 LA is nice only IF YOU MAKE A MINIMUM OF 100,000 dollars.If you do not you will struggle.Why pay to live in a place if you cannot enjoy what it has to offer.

4 Younger people enjoy LA more than older people because they are more into the clubs,dating scene,etc.This gets old real quick after the age of lets say 30.Once you are married and have children you will be introduced to poor schools,over running by illegals of our city,etc.

5 LA has a future that looks more like mexico city.There is nothing wrong with diversity but it can go to far when one group of people overrun a city.

6 LA is not going to have a great future without a strong middle class group of taxpayers who have the skills to do and create things.Many of these taxpayers are moving out of the state for Nevada,Oregon,You name it.It costs more to rent a uhaul out of town than one coming to LA now why is this? its because kids people who live here are trying to get the hell out.

7 Why waste time in your 20's moving to a place that may not have much of a future when you could go to a town that does have a great future like Orlando,Las Vegas,Dallas,Ft Lauderdale,Phoenix,etc,etc, LA is not really like a hills episode unless your parents are rich.

8 In 30 years LA will have a population of 60% hispanic,20% asian,10% white 5% black and 5% mixed.In a town with that many hispanics the politics will be one sided.That will mean that many of the consituants will be poor and need social services.Those social services will cost a bunch of money which means even higher taxes out of your paycheck.Raising taxes on the wealthy will not work because they will move to states that do not have an income tax.One of our richest residents michael milken the wall street cheat moved to Nevada and took all of his money with him.I would not be suprised if stars like brittany spears,etc dont do the same thing and increase the state black hole budget when they refuse to pay 10% of their income for living here.The states future will have a large number of unproductive people who cannot pay taxes because they do not have job skills.Many dont even speak english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times
Related:

Report offers bleak outlook for L.A. - The Daily Breeze

Old 12-07-2008, 12:23 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,318,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiPelican View Post
7 Why waste time in your 20's moving to a place that may not have much of a future when you could go to a town that does have a great future like Orlando,Las Vegas,Dallas,Ft Lauderdale,Phoenix,etc,etc, LA is not really like a hills episode unless your parents are rich.
I'm not so sure if the future is looking so bright for any of those cities you just named-- with the possible exception of Dallas. I really like Phoenix and Las Vegas, but I'm worried about the future of those cities too. Phoenix has many of the same problems LA has. And Florida has ALL the problems California has, plus the risk of hurricanes. I think there are a bunch of cities that will likely have a better future than LA, but you didn't name them.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM

47 posts, read 116,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiPelican View Post
I have read several young people asking about moving to Los Angeles from other parts of the country.I have lived here quite a while and just found this board so I wanted to share with you some of my own opinion.

1. LA is not what it used to be as far as jobs,much of our industry is leaving because of high taxes and regulation.According to forbes magazine
California is one of the most hostile and expensive places in the United States for jobs.

2. NY is much better because it has a more diverse economy.LA depends on the entertainment industry and manufacturing.Much of that manufacturing is leaving and the movie industry may follow behind it in the future because again high taxes.

3 LA is nice only IF YOU MAKE A MINIMUM OF 100,000 dollars.If you do not you will struggle.Why pay to live in a place if you cannot enjoy what it has to offer.

4 Younger people enjoy LA more than older people because they are more into the clubs,dating scene,etc.This gets old real quick after the age of lets say 30.Once you are married and have children you will be introduced to poor schools,over running by illegals of our city,etc.

5 LA has a future that looks more like mexico city.There is nothing wrong with diversity but it can go to far when one group of people overrun a city.

6 LA is not going to have a great future without a strong middle class group of taxpayers who have the skills to do and create things.Many of these taxpayers are moving out of the state for Nevada,Oregon,You name it.It costs more to rent a uhaul out of town than one coming to LA now why is this? its because kids people who live here are trying to get the hell out.

8 In 30 years LA will have a population of 60% hispanic,20% asian,10% white 5% black and 5% mixed.In a town with that many hispanics the politics will be one sided.That will mean that many of the consituants will be poor and need social services.Those social services will cost a bunch of money which means even higher taxes out of your paycheck.Raising taxes on the wealthy will not work because they will move to states that do not have an income tax.One of our richest residents michael milken the wall street cheat moved to Nevada and took all of his money with him.I would not be suprised if stars like brittany spears,etc dont do the same thing and increase the state black hole budget when they refuse to pay 10% of their income for living here.The states future will have a large number of unproductive people who cannot pay taxes because they do not have job skills.Many dont even speak english.

I agree LA is losing the middle class and unless you make over $100,000 it sucks here. When the economy crashes here it crashes hard. We will be seeing more and higher taxes as the politicians have completely blown the budget and may take 20 years to recover. LA is great if you have a lot of money as it is all about status and look here.
I see many people driving cars they can't afford, but they look good in them though.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM

956 posts, read 3,003,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
From the article:

Quote:
Regalado said the challenge facing local officials is greater this year than in the past because of ongoing economic problems that have led to high unemployment, a depressed housing market and conflicting demands.

"We're being challenged on a number of fronts," he said. "With meager budgets and needs for affordable and low-cost housing, with so many residents out of work, we have to look at everything."
But don't tell us why that is, Senior Regalado. Instead, let's not identify the problem but just discuss its symptoms in abstract, PC terms, like all this just happened as a matter of a mysterious, unforeseeable fate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles