U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 PM

424 posts, read 1,639,216 times

Advertisements

I'm from Madison, Wisconsin. As you can see from this (70's?) picture, escaping to some blue and green is only a quick walk in any direction. Decent for a city of 250,000.

I will probably be attending USC for grad school, which leaves me asking: Is this possible in LA? Is it possible, on a cool summers evening, just to relaxing on a quiet lake's shore? Relaxing by the quiet ocean? Relaxing a nice, safe park? Or is it complete and utter urbanity?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 PM

6,561 posts, read 16,206,515 times
That picture is beautiful.

Unfortunately, most parks and lakes around here are closed after sunset. The beach areas aren't safe unless you're on a pier, and then you're not exactly by the quiet ocean.

There has been too much gang activity in this area for the secluded, unlit areas to be accessible at night. I'm sorry.

On the other hand, you could probably go to The Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park. It's open until 10:00 p.m. Since it's newly remodeled, you'd have to take a shuttle from Hollywood and Highland, and the reservation costs $8. Here is the website if you want more info: http://www.griffithobservatory.org

Old 02-26-2007, 11:21 PM

17,444 posts, read 25,501,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
That picture is beautiful.

Unfortunately, most parks and lakes around here are closed after sunset. The beach areas aren't safe unless you're on a pier, and then you're not exactly by the quiet ocean.

There has been too much gang activity in this area for the secluded, unlit areas to be accessible at night. I'm sorry.
Not to mention a huge homeless population in the hills and canyons, and on the beaches.

The only LA county beaches that would be safe at night on the sand itself would be in Malibu. Otherwise - AVOID. It's sad to say this but we are like Tangier in this regard.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:11 AM

424 posts, read 1,639,216 times
Yeah, that's a bummer. I figured as such though; in most big cities, going into a park after the sun sets is a huge no no. Being able to chill with friends by the lake on a cool, quiet summers eve while the sun sets is the one thing I'll miss about Wisconsin.

That's why I'd love to move to Northern California. I think it has those "get aways" that you can just chill at. I'd love to spend a weekend camping in Yosemite. Unfortunately, the Minnesota/Wisconsin area is potmarked with lakes unlike anywhere else in the United States... it's their one redeeming feature.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 02-27-2007 at 12:19 AM..

Old 02-27-2007, 01:54 AM

3 posts, read 60,742 times
I relocated from a smaller city in Wisconsin a few years ago and can say that I think there is plenty of what you are looking for here. You may need to venture further compared to what you are used to in Madison, however. Personally I would be hesitant to be out walking and stuff much after sunset unless I was in an area with lots of activity, but you just have to be more careful in larger cities.

People usually don't think about this in LA but there are just tons of outdoor opportunities here, either in the urban parks or the nearby wilderness areas. Last weekend I visited one of the beaches by LAX (playa del rey) in the late afternoon, and found it uncrowded and very relaxing. On the same day I went for a hike in Griffith Park and found it quite nice (lots of families there but not too crowded and just enjoying a Sunday in the park). I called my Mom back in WI recently and she said they had a foot of snow over the past few days, so at the moment we here in Socal may have MORE of what you want!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:35 AM

196 posts, read 1,180,055 times
Default Runyon Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not to mention a huge homeless population in the hills and canyons, and on the beaches.

The only LA county beaches that would be safe at night on the sand itself would be in Malibu. Otherwise - AVOID. It's sad to say this but we are like Tangier in this regard.
Huge homeless population in the Hills and Canyons??? Which canyons and Hills? I go with my dog for a walk often around Runyon Canyon, and no problem at all, Runyon Canyon is only two blocks from Hollywood Blvd extending north to Mulholland Drive. The views of downtown at sunset are impressive, Ocean can be seen in very clear days....

Many good ares in and around LA, but dont forgett this is not a town in Wisconsin, is a worldwide major city with millions living here.

Old 02-27-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
Huge homeless population in the Hills and Canyons??? Which canyons and Hills? I go with my dog for a walk often around Runyon Canyon, and no problem at all, Runyon Canyon is only two blocks from Hollywood Blvd extending north to Mulholland Drive. The views of downtown at sunset are impressive, Ocean can be seen in very clear days....

Many good ares in and around LA, but dont forgett this is not a town in Wisconsin, is a worldwide major city with millions living here.
I was talking more about Griffith Park and also the canyons of Pacific Palisades and Brentwood. Runyon being gated probably doesn't suffer from the homeless problems that Santa Ynez or Temescal suffer from

Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 AM

196 posts, read 1,180,055 times
Default Temescal Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I was talking more about Griffith Park and also the canyons of Pacific Palisades and Brentwood. Runyon being gated probably doesn't suffer from the homeless problems that Santa Ynez or Temescal suffer from
Really in Temescal many homeless? Temescal is in one of the safest, richest and most expensive areas in the USA, Pacific Palisades, close to the house of many many rich and famous people. But probably its proximity to Sunset and Santa Monica probably will do it a new place for homeless in this century of crows of illegals.

But Santa Ynez? I dont think so, very close to Malibu.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miracle View Post
Really in Temescal many homeless? Temescal is in one of the safest, richest and most expensive areas in the USA, Pacific Palisades, close to the house of many many rich and famous people. But probably its proximity to Sunset and Santa Monica probably will do it a new place for homeless in this century of crows of illegals.

But Santa Ynez? I dont think so, very close to Malibu.
Temescal does have a big problem with homeless there. Santa Ynez also has plenty of homeless.

Many rich and famous people live in Santa Monica also, but that doesn't keep the homeless away.

Last edited by majoun; 02-27-2007 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-27-2007, 07:51 PM

1,749 posts, read 7,875,028 times
I've relaxed many a summer's evening in parks in Pasadena. I like to walk along the beach late at night and in my 38 years, I've never encountered a single gang member on any of my late night walks in Redondo, Hermosa, Malibu or Zuma. Yes, you know Malibu, Zuma, Redondo, Hermosa and Manhattan Beach are crawling with gang members at night (NOT!). There are parks famous for homelessness. These are many. L.A. has many beautiful spots to relax. You'll find whatever it is you're looking for in L.A. as most people do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles