Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times

Advertisements

When was the last time you were in LA? Why don't you take a weekend to drive around and check places out in person instead of trying to classify everything as urban/suburban/exurban over the Internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
When was the last time you were in LA? Why don't you take a weekend to drive around and check places out in person instead of trying to classify everything as urban/suburban/exurban over the Internet?
i happened to have been in los angeles and san diego over thanksgiving, and we drive by alot. so now my question still remains...

after me living in the urbanized suburban community of Cal State Northridge, where should i go next? i want to move to an urban community and then to a suburb. which suburb?

Oxnard(ex-urban)-Templeton(rural) -Northridge, Los Angeles (suburban w/ urban)-? (urban)-Agoura Hills (suburban)

besides downtown, r there any other true urban parts of LA?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM

By the definition found on Wikipedia, the entire LA basin is urban. What definition are you using for urban? Clusters of tall buildings? You can find those in downtown LA, Westwood, Long Beach, Glendale, etc. Someone from New York probably wouldn't consider LA urban. Someone from a small town would consider all of LA and Orange counties plus big chunks of San Bernardino, Riverside, and Ventura to be urban. Forgetting labels, what are you looking for exactly?

Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM

I find the terms urban and suburban really hard to apply in a place like Southern California. I've used "urbanized suburb" to describe a lot of the areas where I live in Orange County. These are areas that were built as suburbs 30-50 years ago but have become increasingly urban. So you get a mix of single family tract houses, apartment buildings, duplexes, and even a few multistory office buildings mixed in. The apartment I'm living in now was originally a single family home on a 2 acre lot on a quiet residential street. Today its a 40 unit apartment complex. The rest of the street is still single family homes. I can walk to a McDonalds and a Japanese market. There's a Jiffy Lube and a 10 story hotel at the end of my street. Is that urban or suburban? It all sort of blurs together after a while.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
i dont know what i consider urban. i guess u can consider all of LA a low-urbanized urban area. and then some areas r more urban than others. so where r other areas with tall buildings clusters which i consider urban and suburban is a cluster of homes.

so i guess

Oxnard, Ca (ex-urban)
Templeton, Ca (rural)
Northridge, Los Angeles, Ca (urban-suburban) and maybe i could move into a more urban area my last year? downtown?
Agoura Hills, Ca (suburban)

Old 12-08-2008, 11:21 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
These labels are exhausting and don't really apply to large swaths of Los Angeles (the city as well as the first ring of "suburbs"). Our street is filled with 1920s bungalows and duplexes (urban? suburban?) but is two blocks from auto shops (urban? blighted?), two blocks from high rises (urban?) and office buildings (exurban?) and a block from Starbucks (suburban?) and a cute bistro (urban?).

Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 7,754 times
to the city-Just thought I would chime in. If you are in Northridge now, why not take a drive to Long Beach and check it out. Many areas are transitioning from rough to family and there are some good prices. Rents are coming down and so are home prices. Eastside is nice, some neighborhoods have a suburban feel but Long Beach is small geographically and densely populated..very city. Lots of diversity, art and closeby water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles