Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 9,084 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I hoping that I can get some advice.

I'm am currently studying at university in the UK for a degree in music production with PR. As part of the degree, I need to find a work placement for at least eight weeks but I am flexible and can commit to a maximum of four months if needs be as this is what my J1 visa will allow.

Due to the nature of my degree, I would dearly love to secure a placement with a recording studio /record label/events management or PR company in the LA area. I'm not naive enough to believe that I am going to walk straight in to a position and I understand that the competition is fierce but nothing ventured, nothing gained and would be grateful of any advice which may give me a slight edge.

Does anyone have any idea which company's are the best to approach? Also, I am a mature student in my late twenties, would age be a factor in the process?

I am working on the assumption that any placement that I would be lucky enough to get would be unpaid, so I have worked out that I have a budget of $1000 per month for accommodation and approximately $5000 to live on and for emergencies, is this going to be enough? Also, since I am a single female new to the states, what would be a good area for me to look for apartment's / rooms in? I have been given a number of websites to arrange accommodation before I leave the UK but there not helpful, if I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking.

Is there anything else that I should know before coming over?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kamie; 12-05-2008 at 12:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 AM

**bump**

Is there any one that can help and give advice on this one?

Thanks.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,203,668 times
the music industry is really hurting here. you would probably be luck to get an unpaid position. as for where to live, you need to determine where you will be working in order to decide where to live. LA is a big city and there are music companies in every part of the city and in most neigbhoring towns as well, you don't want to get stuck finding a cheap apartment in north hollywood then finding a job in santa monica and having to commute between the two.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
What you may want to do is contact someone at your current university. Music companies in the U.K. should already have established relationships with the music program at your school and will accept interns there.

It would be highly unlikely that music companies here would consider a foriegn intern for any position when they have many people already here to do the same job. What school are you in currentlyin the UK?

Old 12-10-2008, 11:04 AM

I'm studying at the University of Chester, its a small university but has one of the best music/arts and TV programs in the country.

I really wanted to do my work experience in LA as I feel it would help give me a view of how the industry works from an international perspective and also it would be an invaluable opportunity to make contacts that I wouldn't make in the UK.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,896,522 times
I would stay in the Uk, get some experience there first and then come to LA. The value of your degree is in part about the connections you are getting from your fellow alums. In LA, few people are going to have heard of your degree and you won't have that many alums in the region to help you get started.

When you have some experience in the UK, that is the time to come over. With experience, then people can see the point of hiring you here. But right now, I think you are just wasting time and money.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:09 PM

145 posts, read 368,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamie View Post
Hi all,

I hoping that I can get some advice.

I'm am currently studying at university in the UK for a degree in music production with PR. As part of the degree, I need to find a work placement for at least eight weeks but I am flexible and can commit to a maximum of four months if needs be as this is what my J1 visa will allow.

Due to the nature of my degree, I would dearly love to secure a placement with a recording studio /record label/events management or PR company in the LA area. I'm not naive enough to believe that I am going to walk straight in to a position and I understand that the competition is fierce but nothing ventured, nothing gained and would be grateful of any advice which may give me a slight edge.

Does anyone have any idea which company's are the best to approach? Also, I am a mature student in my late twenties, would age be a factor in the process?

I am working on the assumption that any placement that I would be lucky enough to get would be unpaid, so I have worked out that I have a budget of $1000 per month for accommodation and approximately $5000 to live on and for emergencies, is this going to be enough? Also, since I am a single female new to the states, what would be a good area for me to look for apartment's / rooms in? I have been given a number of websites to arrange accommodation before I leave the UK but there not helpful, if I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking.

Is there anything else that I should know before coming over?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why in gods name would you come to LA for a music internship... do you not realize that the UK is at least on par with LA or far ahead of them in terms of music studios. and production houses... whats up with virgin for instance?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:19 PM

18 posts, read 90,769 times
I'm also wanting to get into Music Production....I'm on my move of plotting and thinking of LA as well...If by any chance you make it out there, and i give you the best of luck!!! Tell me how it goes when you make it...that'll be awesome.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:12 PM

47 posts, read 170,526 times
Santa Monica is hope to many British expats. You might have better luck at finding help with housing in that community.

The music industry has been in the dumps here for years. There are many, many well funded youngsters who can work the sparse entry level music industry jobs for free due to having all their expenses paid by their family. Also, you'll have be attractive and have a good upscale wardrobe if you want to work in the entertainment industry here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles