Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
Given identical circumstances we all would choose identically. If you think not, you think yourself better than others.
Does that mean that the homeless peoples brothers and sisters are also homeless? If an individual was raised under the same conditions as another individual and they had the same opportunities as another then they should both be living the same way. What about those that grew up in the same neighborhood in like situations? Does that mean that they are also the same and now living in the same conditions? Maybe we should interview the homeless and find out what kinds of lives they had as kids so that we can make sure that others living similar childhoods will be rescued before they enter adulthood and grow into the calling that life has delivered to them.

I know in my own family of 4 brothers and 4 sisters each of us chose a differant financial path in life. We were all raised in the same home under similar situations. Some excelled at school and some didn't. Why is that? Shouldn't we have turned out the same? I have a brother that makes $30,000 a month and one that scrapes by on $1,500 a month but they both grew up in the same home as I did under similar circumstances.

People choose to be poor. People choose to be wealthy. You accept the kind if life that you are willing to live. The homeless are no differant than you and I. They are choosing to live the way that they want to live. I understand that some of them have mental problems. That is no excuse to beg borrow or steal. I know people that work for Vons that are Autisic but making it on their own. Other companies also offer employment to individuals that have mental problems. Their comes a time when a person needs to ask themselves why they are in the position that they are in. If they like the place they are at then good for them. If being homeless isn't what they want I bet that those individuals will do anything they can to get off the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 01:48 AM

488 posts, read 1,512,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Does that mean that the homeless peoples brothers and sisters are also homeless? If an individual was raised under the same conditions as another individual and they had the same opportunities as another then they should both be living the same way. What about those that grew up in the same neighborhood in like situations? Does that mean that they are also the same and now living in the same conditions? Maybe we should interview the homeless and find out what kinds of lives they had as kids so that we can make sure that others living similar childhoods will be rescued before they enter adulthood and grow into the calling that life has delivered to them.

I know in my own family of 4 brothers and 4 sisters each of us chose a differant financial path in life. We were all raised in the same home under similar situations. Some excelled at school and some didn't. Why is that? Shouldn't we have turned out the same? I have a brother that makes $30,000 a month and one that scrapes by on $1,500 a month but they both grew up in the same home as I did under similar circumstances.

People choose to be poor. People choose to be wealthy. You accept the kind if life that you are willing to live. The homeless are no differant than you and I. They are choosing to live the way that they want to live. I understand that some of them have mental problems. That is no excuse to beg borrow or steal. I know people that work for Vons that are Autisic but making it on their own. Other companies also offer employment to individuals that have mental problems. Their comes a time when a person needs to ask themselves why they are in the position that they are in. If they like the place they are at then good for them. If being homeless isn't what they want I bet that those individuals will do anything they can to get off the streets.
When I say identical, I mean IDENTICAL. From birth to present. Every instance in every moment in time may lead one to be who they might be in my understanding of life. One great teacher or one troubled classmate can change a life forever. If we are born innocent how do we acquire guilt. One thing leads to another.

Can one truly change? I've seen it happen. The explanations for this are beyond my reach. Our view is skewed by our own experiences and our own perspective. Of course my opinions are based on my experience. I won't presume to apply my perception to anyone's life. If I do I won't hold them to it for long.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:53 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,462 times
For Christmas I got a T-shirt that says "Bulldoze the Homeless!", exclamation point included. I'm actually wearing it right now. I think it's my new favorite T-shirt, replacing my "Pave the Whales!" T-shirt.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:09 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
When I say identical, I mean IDENTICAL. From birth to present. Every instance in every moment in time may lead one to be who they might be in my understanding of life. One great teacher or one troubled classmate can change a life forever. If we are born innocent how do we acquire guilt. One thing leads to another.

Can one truly change? I've seen it happen. The explanations for this are beyond my reach. Our view is skewed by our own experiences and our own perspective. Of course my opinions are based on my experience. I won't presume to apply my perception to anyone's life. If I do I won't hold them to it for long.
Wouldn't that be an imposible situation for someone to have every every experience in life as another? Even with that I would think that two people would deal differantly with the same situation happening to them. No two people are alike. No two fingerprints are the same, no DNA matches exactly another DNA. People within the same household that are taught to act the same way may still have differant ideas about life. I know these two brothers that helped their dad work on the family car whenever it broke down or needed a repair, tuneup or what have you. One grew up hating that kind of thing the other restored cars for fun because he loved it as a kid. Both were having the same experience only the outcome later on was very differant.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 AM

488 posts, read 1,512,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wouldn't that be an imposible situation for someone to have every every experience in life as another? Even with that I would think that two people would deal differantly with the same situation happening to them. No two people are alike. No two fingerprints are the same, no DNA matches exactly another DNA. People within the same household that are taught to act the same way may still have differant ideas about life. I know these two brothers that helped their dad work on the family car whenever it broke down or needed a repair, tuneup or what have you. One grew up hating that kind of thing the other restored cars for fun because he loved it as a kid. Both were having the same experience only the outcome later on was very differant.
The point is we don't have the same experience (egotistically anyway). And no one has the correct experience. I think that is probably enough of me on this subject in this thread. My respect to all.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:52 AM

4 posts, read 8,747 times
What we see, as a rule, are the homeless men, because the homeless women and children hide. Their plight -- which could be ours in a matter of days or weeks -- is truely terrible and ignoring them will not help. It also strips us of our own humanity. There are things you can do.

If there is an individual you find often, arrange to use your address so that he can receive mail, which you black out before handing him, or buy him a few months' time at a mail box store. Many homeless folks who can work are unable to do so bevcause prospective employers have no way to reach them. Ditto with taking messages by phone, but again, you must guage the risk.

Some homeless are, of course, insane, dangerous, drug-addicted, etc. and these an ordinary citizen cannot help, though as a society we must face their needs.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:58 AM

143 posts, read 327,479 times
This thread caught my eye, even though I do not live in L.A. I do, however, live in El Paso, which has its own jumpin' panhandling scene. (I think it's because lots of sunshine = lots of quality begging days)

Anyway, there are a couple of things that need to be said:

First, the vast majority of homeless people are either mentally ill or addicted to something, not as some might have you believe, victims of a bad economy. These people would be homeless regardless of the economy. While giving these people money might help you get that warm-fuzzy-I'm-great-because-I-care feeling, the bottom line is that by giving them money you ar most likely making their problems worse.

Second, to all those on this thread who wonder when society will evolve to deal with the plight of the homeless: Is it just me, or did LBJ and the Great Society promise to take care of all these problems around 1965? Forget Iraq or Afghanistan, what I want to know is what is our exit strategy from the failed "War on Poverty"

Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyButler7000 View Post
First, the vast majority of homeless people are either mentally ill or addicted to something, not as some might have you believe, victims of a bad economy. These people would be homeless regardless of the economy. While giving these people money might help you get that warm-fuzzy-I'm-great-because-I-care feeling, the bottom line is that by giving them money you ar most likely making their problems worse.
Good point -- and this is why I choose to donate money to organizations instead of individuals. The $100 I gave to the L.A. Foodbank will, according to their website, provide $500 worth of food to people in need. If I were to give that same amount to someone(s) on the street, it would more likely provide $100 of drugs/alcohol/cigarettes -- and maybe a Happy Mealâ„¢ or two.

I'm not heartless -- just realistic.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:49 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Chick View Post
What we see, as a rule, are the homeless men, because the homeless women and children hide. Their plight -- which could be ours in a matter of days or weeks -- is truely terrible and ignoring them will not help. It also strips us of our own humanity. There are things you can do.
Women and children are more likely to be taken in by relatives or friends. Programs like Section 8 favor the woman with child. A woman is more likely to be able to rent a room.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:27 PM

27 posts, read 95,627 times
Default UHM. Good question.

I struggle with that issue daily. Expecially when I lived in Santa Monica. I often wondered what kind of karma would constitute someone living on the streets and begging for money. Was it low self esteem ? Child abuse issues? Who knows. But maybe its my karma to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles