Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Is there a difference between failure and success? Is there such a thing as failure? Is there such a thing as success? or is there simply being?
Greggd, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 7,502 times
Beverly Hills just started a probably un-Constitutional effort to run homeless people out of town. Putting up new signs (including "no-camping"). Blaming the small "hard-core" (2 dozen?) for bad things done in 15 years is not justified. And,all dispossessed are NOT on drugs or booze. Some have
no family or just bad luck. It could happen to anybody. Somebody,of course,needs to mount a legal
challenge (never done before.)

People should give to the homeless directly....if the person seems lucid. I don't like any homeless charities except
FOOD,NOT BOMBS. Maybe also,Ted Hayes. Those alone,have the right idea...instead of 20 Century non-solutions
to this growing problem. Beverly Hills is marching backward,especially what with this bad economy.

Last edited by ronald33; 06-11-2009 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-11-2009, 01:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
The only homeless person I give money to is the guy who is always at the 110N onramp from Olympic. He's really friendly, and doesn't hassle people if they say no to giving him anything.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:00 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald33 View Post
Beverly Hills just started a probably un-Constitutional effort to run homeless people out of town. Putting up new signs (including "no-camping"). Blaming the small "hard-core" (2 dozen?) for bad things done in 15 years is not justified. And,all dispossessed are NOT on drugs or booze. Some have
no family or just bad luck. It could happen to anybody. Somebody,of course,needs to mount a legal
challenge (never done before.)

People should give to the homeless directly....if the person seems lucid. I don't like any homeless charities except
FOOD,NOT BOMBS. Maybe also,Ted Hayes. Those alone,have the right idea...instead of 20 Century non-solutions
to this growing problem. Beverly Hills is marching backward,especially what with this bad economy.
and just out of curiosity, why do you think this is un-constitutional? Cities have a right to set rules on camping in public places, like parks, loitering, begging, or whatever they want within reason. As for giving directly to the homeless, you can't be really serious? Or, I bet you are. We have, on a couple of occassions bought meals for homeless people but we do not and will not hand them money. Sure, many are down on their luck, some have severe mental problems, most of us are aware of this, some have no families, but many are druggies, or boozers.
Regardless of the reason, I certainly do not want to live in an area think with homeless people.
Nita

Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
You all do know that every single dime you give these guys is going straight to alcohol or drugs, don't you?

Every single dime.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You all do know that every single dime you give these guys is going straight to alcohol or drugs, don't you?

Every single dime.
Because "these guys" are all exactly 100% alike, including the 97-year-old homeless granny who was sitting in her wheelchair on the sidewalk of La Brea yesterday. All ex-act-ly alike. All druggies.

Right.

You can tell the ones who are from the ones who aren't, if you have two eyes in your head.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:04 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
The only homeless person I give money to is the guy who is always at the 110N onramp from Olympic. He's really friendly, and doesn't hassle people if they say no to giving him anything.
You give that guy money too? I give him about $30-40 a day.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
You give that guy money too? I give him about $30-40 a day.
He's a really nice guy

Old 06-11-2009, 11:00 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
Sometimes I ignore the homeless and sometimes I give them money or something. I really don't run into that many homeless people. But when I do a lot of times I give them a few dollars and if I feel really nice a $20.

I do feel sorry for many of them and I know some are here because of their own actions. But it does happen and it may happen to one of us. You never know.

I try to share a little. And yes some are annoying also. But there are annoying people EVERYWHERE!

I say sir. I was punished as a child if I did not say sir, ma'am, please, thank you, your welcome, pardon me, excuse me, etc.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:06 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Never! I smile at them, wink, and give them a big "thumbs up"!
Here's me with the homeless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles