U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:03 AM

27 posts, read 90,387 times

Advertisements

Hi. This a complicated and distressing story. I could use any intelligent and helpful feed back--I am desperate. First, I moved into an apartment, in Glendale, in which my unit had been illegally subdivided by the owner/landlord. Consquently, I turned the owner/landlord into the City of Glendale's Code Inforement as a way to set boundries; hence, the owner/landlord thought that he/she could access the extra room by going through my unit. The City of Glendale Code Inforement deemed the subdivide illegal and demanded the owner return the unit back to its original state.The owner/landlord complied and restored the unit back to a one bedroom. However, the problem is that the City inspector for Code inforcement found other issues, during the reinspection, such as:low water pressure, weak stair rails and other issues. You get the drift--the owner/landlord is screwed. However, I just got a letter today threating to evict me for letting my cat outside as well as accusing me of harassing the neighbors both physically and verbally while confronting them about their noisy televisions. Needless to say, the cat issue is 100%correct. I do let my cat outside, as no where in the lease does it state that my cat shall remain indoors. However, the neigbor harrassment issue is an outrageous lie. In fact I have always resorted to calling the police, rather then confront the neigbors head on, in regarding to their blarring Armenian news channel. My question is, since I don't have the money to move, can I sue for breach of contract, libel and/or harassment? What are my options?
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 AM

3,736 posts, read 7,479,137 times
Don't think it is necessary to take the lady to court and try to sue her unless you want to move. But you might have a strong case against your landlord. If she is threatening to evict you it might look to the court that she is trying to retaliate against you since you turned her in and she has to make changes to her property she probably wasn't expecting to pay (she can be fined for retaliating against you). Also, since the unit is was deemed illegal the court might find in your favor where the landlord/owner must compensate you and a move since the place has problems. Contact your local renter's board they might be able to give you free legal advice and could possibly work on your behalf if they find there is legit case. Make sure if thing that is being communicated is in writing. Verbal threats won't hold up in court unless you have a witness. If you have called the police on your neighbors make sure you get some sort of report from the police department regarding the nuisance complaints. Finally, did she agree to let you have a cat when you first signed your lease? If so there is no problem.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Default Ashleykitty to Bay-Girl

Thanks! You are right. I could be compensated for her trying to retaliate.
I just needed a little reminder. Also, my cat is mentioned in the lease by her first name; however, lease doesn't say to keep her indoors. And, I do have records from the police visits and nothing about my being abusive or otherwise--because of course I was not.
I really appreciate your bright thoughts. It helped.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:49 PM

120 posts, read 387,066 times
I would move out... the owner is retaliating...... eitherway sounds like he/she won't be renewing their lease with you....

I know the owner violated rules..... but by reporting them u stirred things up......... and its lead to alot more complications than there were before...

good luck hope everything works out.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:24 PM

6,860 posts, read 20,365,480 times
Sorry...have no sympathy for you.
Rented a room in a private residence that was not up to city code...problems the owner was content to live with...had a small pet to cause some complaints...complained about neighbors music (as a tenent should have kept your mouth shut or move)...complained to police and to top things off you think you are in a palace that entitles you to make numerous complaints.
Your NOT the owner...I am familiar with Glendale and the Armenian people are no different then the Spanish who also like loud music.
Only the owner of the residence has the right to complain to any authorities...not you.
You made your bed so sleep in it. Lack of money is your problem and you will most likely have to move real soon if not yesterday.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Question Steve

Hey, Steve, no offense but you sound like exactly the kind of tenant a landlord likes to prey on. Unless of course, you are a shady landlord. In either case, please pick up a book or watch the news.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-25-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 PM

Thanx for the compliment. Have been around the block a few times...chances are the same time as your grandfather. Lived in Arcadia...went to PCC...graduated in '54' and Glendale never had the Armanians like they have today. You should be renting an Apt and not a converted ? room in a residence. Money may be a problem that only you can remedy. Grow up and look for decent place to live in and as I said "the way you make your bed is the way you sleep in it".
Paying rent only gives a person Limited rights...you exceeded yours and now will suffer the consequences. As for me, I bought a Brand New home in "1955" in Covina. Steve

Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM

8,541 posts, read 7,966,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Sorry...have no sympathy for you.
Rented a room in a private residence that was not up to city code...problems the owner was content to live with...had a small pet to cause some complaints...
The OP said she moved into an apartment, not a room in a private residential home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
complained about neighbors music (as a tenent should have kept your mouth shut or move)...complained to police and to top things off you think you are in a palace that entitles you to make numerous complaints.

Your NOT the owner...I am familiar with Glendale and the Armenian people are no different then the Spanish who also like loud music.

Only the owner of the residence has the right to complain to any authorities...not you.
I swear, are you making up this stuff as you type? Who said a tenant can't complain when someone violates the law, be it structures not built to code, or inconsiderate neighbors playing loud music.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:41 PM

Check again...the owner returned the house into a ONE bedroom structure as per city code. This means it was/is a single residence...not a multiple residence or duplex or garage converted into living quarters which is against code.
I have a Architectual degree and have drawn house plans so do know the difference.
Bottom line...any complaints should have under the circumstance been made to the landlord person who would have the right to speak with the neighbors.
If you live in an apt bldg and have a problem with another tenent...you speak with the bldg mgr or bldg owner. That would be the proper thing to do considering the living quarters. Steve

Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 PM

Angry Are you drunk or just retarded?

Its like the last post cited. I moved into a building that had six one bedroom unit dwellings. However, prior to my moving in, the owner converted my unit into a single unit dwelling. Consquently, she did this without permits from the city. The bottom line is it is illegal to subdivide a unit. She is now paying the price for her bad choices. I had no knowlege that it was an illegal subdivide and trusted her to act in good faith when I signed a contract--commonly known as a lease. I know PCC isn't Harvard but really Steve. You are an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles