Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 09:10 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times

Advertisements

Yes. That's a fine sector of Burbank, nearish the studios, quite near Warner Bros., and attendant service businesses. You should be able to find okay to nice apartments. LOTS of street traffic of people commuting to studios from the 101. Did you know Pass Ave. used to be the main mountain pass from L.A. to that part of the Valley one hundred years ago? Use your normal street savvy at night, as one would anywhere in L.A.. You're near Noho and the clubs and small theatres as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 01:28 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I lived in Playa del Rey for three years near St. Bernard. Unfortunately, the school attracted a certain "ghetto element" to the community. During the late 1960s and early 1970s, LAX purchased and tore down most of the houses in the southern portion of Playa del Rey for a proposed expansion. The community never really recovered from that, despite the construction of numerous condos during the late 1980s and 1990s on land that LAX deemed "surplus" and sold off to developers. The original poster wanted to live in a "beach town", not a somewhat declining part of Los Angeles near the ocean, so the cities of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach are probably better choices.
Quote:
Playa del Rey is not particularly safe compared to other nearby beach cities. Many students at local the Catholic High School (St. Bernard) come from South L.A., Gardena, Compton, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Lennox, and Lawndale and occasionally the ills of those communities follow them. Here's a link to a story that illustrates this...
http://www.argonautnewspaper.com/art...ories/3pdr.txt

In addition, Playa del Rey is right next door to LAX. If you like hearing planes take off or land and love the smell of jet fuel, then it's a "paradise."
you have no idea at all what you are talking about. if PDR is so rundown and has never recovered then why have home prices risen 6x since the early 90's. i have not seen one house for under $1 million. my house was bought for $300,000 in 1994 and now sells for easily over $1.1 million. my cousin lives here in a CONDO FOR OVER $500,000!! ITS NOT EVEN BIG!!!! i never feel unsafe here. i don't even realize that St. Bernard is in PDR. if those people have the money to afford to go to a private Catholic school, then they can't be as bad as you perceive them. THAT IS COMPLETE RACISM. BLACK PEOPLE DON'T AUTOMATICALLY RUIN A COMMUNITY. you should be so ashamed of yourself for sying that. you don't deserve to live in the United States if you are racist. especially in Los Angeles where we have almost every race in the world interacting with each other. and as someone else mentioned, if you have the money to afford to get a place in PDR, then you will have money to pay for a private school such as Westside Neighborhood School (K-8). the windows of all homes and condos and apartments have been double paned so we can't hear the airplanes. im straining my ears to hear one through my closed windows and can't. if you like windows open, well you get used to it. if you're worried about getting hot, every single home has A/C.

so before you criticize a wonderful city, maybe you should learn some stuff about it. that just shows you're an ignorant racist.

Last edited by jessemh431; 05-26-2007 at 01:36 AM..

Old 05-26-2007, 09:13 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
you have no idea at all what you are talking about. if PDR is so rundown and has never recovered then why have home prices risen 6x since the early 90's. i have not seen one house for under $1 million. my house was bought for $300,000 in 1994 and now sells for easily over $1.1 million. my cousin lives here in a CONDO FOR OVER $500,000!! ITS NOT EVEN BIG!!!! i never feel unsafe here. i don't even realize that St. Bernard is in PDR. if those people have the money to afford to go to a private Catholic school, then they can't be as bad as you perceive them. THAT IS COMPLETE RACISM. BLACK PEOPLE DON'T AUTOMATICALLY RUIN A COMMUNITY. you should be so ashamed of yourself for sying that. you don't deserve to live in the United States if you are racist. especially in Los Angeles where we have almost every race in the world interacting with each other. and as someone else mentioned, if you have the money to afford to get a place in PDR, then you will have money to pay for a private school such as Westside Neighborhood School (K-8). the windows of all homes and condos and apartments have been double paned so we can't hear the airplanes. im straining my ears to hear one through my closed windows and can't. if you like windows open, well you get used to it. if you're worried about getting hot, every single home has A/C.

so before you criticize a wonderful city, maybe you should learn some stuff about it. that just shows you're an ignorant racist.
Even houses in rundown communities in the Los Angeles area are relatively expensive by national standards. The fact that a house sells for $500,000 in Watts or $1.1 million in Playa del Rey doesn't necessarily mean that it's located in a safe, crime-free community.

I agree that the presence of African Americans doesn't automatically ruin a community and I never stated anything to that effect. However, the presence of gang members and gang "associates" of any ethnicity within a community can lower its quality of life if they commit criminal acts (eg. assault, battery, etc.).

During the years that I lived in Playa del Rey it was not a "city" -- it was (and still is) a community that's part of the City of Los Angeles, like Westchester, Mar Vista, Watts, Athens, etc.

Hopefully, I'm free to contribute insights, opinions, and criticisms about the locations in which I've resided on this forum without being called an "ignorant racist" by someone that doesn't seem to know how to properly punctuate a sentence in the English language.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Old 09-04-2007, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 35,176 times
Quote:
Even houses in rundown communities in the Los Angeles area are relatively expensive by national standards. The fact that a house sells for $500,000 in Watts or $1.1 million in Playa del Rey doesn't necessarily mean that it's located in a safe, crime-free community.

I agree that the presence of African Americans doesn't automatically ruin a community and I never stated anything to that effect. However, the presence of gang members and gang "associates" of any ethnicity within a community can lower its quality of life if they commit criminal acts (eg. assault, battery, etc.).

During the years that I lived in Playa del Rey it was not a "city" -- it was (and still is) a community that's part of the City of Los Angeles, like Westchester, Mar Vista, Watts, Athens, etc.

Hopefully, I'm free to contribute insights, opinions, and criticisms about the locations in which I've resided on this forum without being called an "ignorant racist" by someone that doesn't seem to know how to properly punctuate a sentence in the English language.

Cheers,

Jonah K
I have been a playa del rey resident for fifteen years and you are absolutely correct, I agree with everything you’ve said on this blog 100%. These people are flocking from South Central off the 105 to these beaches and bringing their trash and they can’t behave, they have no social grace or etiquette, it’s disgusting, and you won’t find one white person in the areas you suggested. They flock to the beaches, polluting it causing trouble, it’s right in front of my face, so these others can shut the hell up they don’t know anything about the city. I have no problem with anyone coming to playa del rey as long as you behave yourself, but they don’t, their disruptive. I have black friends, Hispanic, gay, you name it all across the board, you can call me whatever you like I don’t give a damn, I see it with my eyes and I’m not backing down on this, never will, I want them out!

You bike from Playa del rey to Manhattan beach and you notice the difference in etiquette. You have to pass through a section filled with primarily blacks and all of them walk at a snail rate right on the bike path and through the bike path without looking at anyone coming at them, they just don’t care. By the time you get to manhattan beach it’s a relief, the city which coincidentally happens to be primarily white, but more importantly polite, you notice the change in human behavior, in manhattan beach they’re looking both ways or moving fast out of the way if someone’s coming at them. I need no more confirmation than that, and I’ve had many, many people around those beaches tell me the same thing.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Marina Del Rey is not a beach town. It has a small enclosed beach called "Mothers" which is polluted 300 days a years and closed for 265. Mainly the city is congested with traffic and the people are not as friendly as in Manhattan or Hermosa.
Am reading "News at 10" a biography of Stan Chambers from KTLA. Mothers Beach was the site of Lake Los Angeles before MDR was developed. He mentioned it describing how Dick "Whoa Nellie" Lane use to call speed boat races there. Hard to believe because Lake Los Angeles doesn't even look (from old historic aerials) large enough for a boat race.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,157 times
Check out Mar Vista. I love this area. It's not a beach town but very close to several beaches. Everything you'll need is here.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,176 times
Quote:
Playa del Rey is not particularly safe compared to other nearby beach cities. Many students at local the Catholic High School (St. Bernard) come from South L.A., Gardena, Compton, Hawthorne, Inglewood, Lennox, and Lawndale and occasionally the ills of those communities follow them. Here's a link to a story that illustrates this...
http://www.argonautnewspaper.com/art...ories/3pdr.txt

In addition, Playa del Rey is right next door to LAX. If you like hearing planes take off or land and love the smell of jet fuel, then it's a "paradise."

If you want to live in a nice beach town, I recommend Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach over Playa del Rey.
LOL, what are you talking about?! Playa Del Rey is super safe, maybe even boring. Wouldn't even call it a beach town, Hermosa, Manhattan and Redondo are but I don't think Playa is even an actual city. Redondo has more crime than Playa and even then it's still really safe. Only someone from the bubble of suburbia would even say this crap. Take if from me OP, as someone who consistently runs in Playa, you'll be fine, look into living in Playa Vista (within Playa Del Rey) great little community. This is coming from someone that hates isolated, white communities but Playa is cool.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 AM

Quote:
I lived in Playa del Rey for three years near St. Bernard. Unfortunately, the school attracted a certain "ghetto element" to the community. During the late 1960s and early 1970s, LAX purchased and tore down most of the houses in the southern portion of Playa del Rey for a proposed expansion. The community never really recovered from that, despite the construction of numerous condos during the late 1980s and 1990s on land that LAX deemed "surplus" and sold off to developers. The original poster wanted to live in a "beach town", not a somewhat declining part of Los Angeles near the ocean, so the cities of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Redondo Beach are probably better choices.
By "ghetto" he means black and brown kids. Go look up the stats on Playa, it's pretty chill. If you're white and wanna live around a lot of white, isolated people that get a little uncomfortable by people that don't look like them being in their neighborhoods, then yeah, go live in Manhattan or Hermosa, and some parts of Redondo too. Not my swag. Marina, isn't a beach but depending on where you live it's less than a mile from the beach. I personally like Venice, SM and areas like that. Sure, they have some homeless around but I'm not the type to frown at poor people. You have to be smart about things of course but in LA, you'll get your car busted into, anywhere, trust me. Again, look at Playa Vista, it's a great location and it's a skip from the 90 fwy which never has traffic.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post

I felt the same things Jesse, stupid comments for sure. The racism was a little more low-key as it is usually these days.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachroad View Post
I have been a playa del rey resident for fifteen years and you are absolutely correct, I agree with everything you’ve said on this blog 100%. These people are flocking from South Central off the 105 to these beaches and bringing their trash and they can’t behave, they have no social grace or etiquette, it’s disgusting, and you won’t find one white person in the areas you suggested. They flock to the beaches, polluting it causing trouble, it’s right in front of my face, so these others can shut the hell up they don’t know anything about the city. I have no problem with anyone coming to playa del rey as long as you behave yourself, but they don’t, their disruptive. I have black friends, Hispanic, gay, you name it all across the board, you can call me whatever you like I don’t give a damn, I see it with my eyes and I’m not backing down on this, never will, I want them out!

You bike from Playa del rey to Manhattan beach and you notice the difference in etiquette. You have to pass through a section filled with primarily blacks and all of them walk at a snail rate right on the bike path and through the bike path without looking at anyone coming at them, they just don’t care. By the time you get to manhattan beach it’s a relief, the city which coincidentally happens to be primarily white, but more importantly polite, you notice the change in human behavior, in manhattan beach they’re looking both ways or moving fast out of the way if someone’s coming at them. I need no more confirmation than that, and I’ve had many, many people around those beaches tell me the same thing.
How do you guys know who is a gang member? Because they're black/Latino and dress with an urban swag? I run in playa all the time and yes I see blacks and latinos there a lot. I don't assume they are banging but that's probably because I'm black and when I wear a hoody or put a hat on, people assume the same. I also can tell if someone is a banger. Usually people from isolated areas akin to the suburbs, can't. They don't know many people like them and since they watch the news and that's there only experience with people that don't look like them (not talking about having a couple co-workers or a best friend "whose black") they lump them all together as "ghetto" and gang-bangers. Trust me, even so, can't gang bangers go to the beach? They don't start any trouble. To be honest just south of there at Dockweiler I have seen a lot of bloods have bonfires but never once did I see or hear about any problems. They kept to their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles