Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 6,497 times

Advertisements

Hello! My twin sister and I are 22 years old and have lived our whole lives in Cleveland, Ohio. We are sick of the weather, the lack of night life-actually the lack of anyone our age really. All people want to do is get married and have kids here, and that's not what I'm trying to do anytime soon at least. We are hair stylists and we are excited for the different career opportunities in LA. I would love to do hair at a salon, but do some free lance work on the side for photoshoots, fashion week, ect. I work at an Aveda salon now, and would ultimately like to stay in the Aveda network. That being said, I would really like to try and land a job at a salon in Beverly Hills. We're planning on moving in May.
We've been to LA a couple times to hunt for apartments. I fell in love with the Sherman Oaks/Studio City area...We actually had our mind set on this one apartment complex in studio city until i read the reviews of it on yelp.com I was shocked at peoples references, they said it was a horrible area, that they heard gunshots at night, I was like good lord, we're just little midwest girls, we gotta find a safe place to live. I was comfortable in the area tho, thats what was surprising.
My question is, where are the safest places to live near beverly hills? I don't mind a commute as long as it doesn't take me over an hour to get to work. We are looking for a two bedroom apartment thats not over 1900 dollars a month. My main priority is being in a safe area, I watch alot of dateline, 20/20, and True TV so I know what could happen
I was looking into Burbank as well? It's about 12 miles from Bev Hills, is that too far away tho? I need someone to break down the areas for me I guess. Are there nice areas of west hollywood? (we stayed here once on vermont ave and it was pretty sketch, but I understand you can stumble into bad areas anywhere) Any advice anyone has to offer would be great! thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 02:18 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,394 times
Gun shots at night in Sherman Oaks and Studio City??? I lived in Van Nuys and didn't even hear that. I'm just a little girl from the Midwest and I definitely would NOT be scared to live in Sherman Oaks/Studio City!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times
Studio City is one of the better parts of the valley.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:39 PM

147 posts, read 383,224 times
The one thing you have going for you is you and your sister can split the cost of renting a place.

We will see how L.A. wears on you when you get here.

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,497 times
Do any of you have any suggestions about apartment complexs to live in? Is Burbank nice?

Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Keep in mind that apartment review sites typically attract the people who are dissatisfied with their places. West Hollywood borders Beverly Hills, so might also be a possibility for you. I think the consensus is that Burbank in general isn't all that terrific.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:03 PM

147 posts, read 383,224 times
Burbank isn't all that bad, can get hot though, but geographically it's a good location.

Where do you live squeezboxgal, Shadow Hills? Before I was gentrified I rented a nice little guest house in North El Monte, in a nice quiet neighborhood you don't even know exists.

All the best.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:40 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Smart move...economic and life opportunities are bleak in Midwest, ex-Chicago

May want to consider renting a small 1BR on Westside in a safe area...e.g., many young financiers in Manhattan, just out of college, share microscopic apts w/multiple roommates (usu college classmates) to cut rent costs and prioritize shelter in a convenient location, rather than a bigger apt in some distant location

Not at home much anyway....and, if things go well, can always upgrade later

Old 12-24-2008, 03:48 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Raul View Post
Where do you live squeezboxgal, Shadow Hills?
Um, no.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:34 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,061 times
Downtown Burbank is great but general the city is okay and a bit far from Beverly Hills(L.A. standards) I say stick with Studio city and Sherman Oaks. Years ago I lived in North Hollywood and needless to say it is much more dangerous than either one but I never experienced real face to face danger. Just be smart, stick together and you girls will be fine. If you want something much closer to BH, try the Mid City area, Culver City, West Hollywood, Hollywood, and Westwood. Do you girls really want your own bedrooms? if youre willing to share you're sure to find something upscale in BevHills or even near the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles