Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM

705 posts, read 3,297,250 times

Advertisements

^^ I recently posted an article stating that Hollywood over the past few years has obtained one of the most thriving night scenes/life in the world. Investors from San Diego, NYC, and even Vegas are looking into the area and will soon be expanding the amount of zip codes that allow the sale of alcohol in the city. Personally, you'll find me at a club or bar in LA on a weekend night and its amazing to see Hollywood blvd filled with pedestrians at 3am even on weekdays; giving new life to an area many considered to be dying. Not only is the nightlife expanding but many clubs are extending their hours. I've also met many from areas like tbe OC, IE, and Ventura county who come to LA to experience this new scene. Don't forget Miami and Miami beach are separate cities and is where the nightlife King speaks of Im sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:21 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
^^ I recently posted an article stating that Hollywood over the past few years has obtained one of the most thriving night scenes/life in the world. Investors from San Diego, NYC, and even Vegas are looking into the area and will soon be expanding the amount of zip codes that allow the sale of alcohol in the city. Personally, you'll find me at a club or bar in LA on a weekend night and its amazing to see Hollywood blvd filled with pedestrians at 3am even on weekdays; giving new life to an area many considered to be dying. Not only is the nightlife expanding but many clubs are extending their hours. I've also met many from areas like tbe OC, IE, and Ventura county who come to LA to experience this new scene. Don't forget Miami and Miami beach are separate cities and is where the nightlife King speaks of Im sure.
This makes me wonder if it would be a good idea for California to extend the time when bars stop serving alcohol from 2 AM to 4 AM like NY or 24 hours like Nevada (or having specific 24 hour licensing like the UK initiated under Blair). It could mean more tax revenues, and help CA businesses. The reason for the early closing time - to eliminate the risk of people being on the streets if Japanese Zeros attacked SF, LA, or SD - has not been relevant for almost six and a half decades.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 AM

24 posts, read 59,644 times
I agree with much of the original list except:

1) You can find great Mexican food down in Homestead and Florida City(south of Miami) which I think rivals or beats what I've had in L.A.. Maybe I need to get out more though!

2) Traffic in Miami is just as bad as L.A., and the public transportation system is so much worse. The major streets emptying the western suburbs in the morning are awful (Coral Way, Bird Rd, Miller Dr, Sunset Dr, Kendall Dr), along with 107th through Doral and the 836 by MIA. I don't think the 405 is as bad, honestly.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:40 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Oh really. And what exactly is the measure of that scale and scope? Is there some kind of list or ranking or are you just expressing a personal opinion?
Actually, there is a ranking!

In surveys of residents and visitors, Miami comes out ahead of Los Angeles in the "Nightlife" category of Travel and Leisure's "America's Favorite Cities 2008":

America's Favorite Cities 2008 | Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/index.cfm - broken link)

Old 01-05-2009, 05:27 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Well being a Floridian, I really don't see the big hype of going to Miami. I've been going there for all my life alot of times and I really didn't see the big deal. It was just another city to me. But the same might apply for LA. I think LA is great and I would be so hyped to be going there. But for someone from Northern California, it's probably not a big deal.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,799 times
Forbes has a list as well, this one geared towards singles.

For best nightlife:

NYC
LA
Chicago
Miami

Best Cities For Singles sorted by Nightlife - Forbes.com

Curiously enough, LA rates highest for 'culture.'

Not bad at all.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Yep, Hollywood buzzes mid-week as well. I saw the Boulevard packed a month or so ago on a Wednesday- go figure. Makes sense because there are alot more things to do down there these days.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:46 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Actually, there is a ranking!

In surveys of residents and visitors, Miami comes out ahead of Los Angeles in the "Nightlife" category of Travel and Leisure's "America's Favorite Cities 2008":

America's Favorite Cities 2008 | Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/index.cfm - broken link)
That’s funny. I don’t think Travel & Leisure magazine is the arbiter of what‘s cool, hip, and trendsetting in the club and nightlife scenes. In fact, I am confident that the vast majority of people who actually frequent the club scenes in NYC, LA, Las Vegas, and Miami among other cities aren’t regular readers of Travel & Leisure and did not participate in their survey.

SF, Austin, and New Orleans ahead of LA? Please. That’s a joke. I don’t even think the most renown and sought after DJs include those cities on their tour schedules and neither do many small and big time music artists-certainly not on the level of LA and NYC where nearly all artists perform.

The fact that New Orleans, a wasteland at the moment, is ranked second in the nation is evidence that this is a list of cities most palatable for your average tourists versus serious club goers and consumers of hip culture.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
The fact that New Orleans, a wasteland at the moment, is ranked second in the nation is evidence that this is a list of cities most palatable for your average tourists versus serious club goers and consumers of hip culture.
I bet the people of Miami would disagree with you.

It's all subjective, of course, and it's just one ranking. I just thought it was funny because of the way the question was posed: "What - is there a ranking?", and then I got to say, "Well, as a matter of fact, there is!"

I wouldn't take any of it too seriously. And since I think that "nightlife" is a rather shallow attraction, it's the last of my concerns.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:20 PM

I actually subscribed to Travel and Leisure for a year, opting not to pay for their ad-laden fluff anymore. There is so little worthwhile content. The number of 'special sections' sponsored by tourism boards is ridiculous, in my opinion. National Geographic Traveler is alittle better I think.

I think that many of the tips and first-hand advice OUR posters give is of greater value, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles