Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King0fthehill View Post

Carthay Circle:

Classy Spansh Revival/castle-type homes with intricate details such as stained glass.

Quaint, reserved feel replete with lush foliage and quiet streets.

Good schools.

Proximity to Beverly Hills, the Wilshire Corridor and the Fairfax District.

Diverse mix of residents and many of whom are involved in community organizations.
I agree that Carthay Circle's a great part of town (although many people might just lump it into the Miracle Mile category - another part of L.A. that I do like), but I wouldn't agree with the "good schools" part. Hamilton High and Fairfax High (the two public schools that serve the area) are NOTHING to brag about; they are nightmares (as are LAUSD comprehensives in general) and I wouldn't send my kid to either. I would think that there are quite a few Carthay Circle residents who manage to send their kids to Beverly due to the close proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:30 PM

938 posts, read 4,082,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I agree that Carthay Circle's a great part of town (although many people might just lump it into the Miracle Mile category - another part of L.A. that I do like), but I wouldn't agree with the "good schools" part. Hamilton High and Fairfax High (the two public schools that serve the area) are NOTHING to brag about; they are nightmares (as are LAUSD comprehensives in general) and I wouldn't send my kid to either. I would think that there are quite a few Carthay Circle residents who manage to send their kids to Beverly due to the close proximity.
By good schools I was referring to the private schools, of course (i.e Page)

And trust me, I know about LAUSD.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:52 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,826,544 times
I also like Marina Del Rey and Westchester

Old 01-04-2009, 05:01 PM

24,463 posts, read 33,147,114 times
Chatsworth (the northern portion)
Porter Ranch
Hidden Hills
Beverly Hills & Bel Air
La Crescenta
La Canada
Brentwood
Pacific Palisades
Holmby Hills

Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,918,750 times
To live: Hancock Park (I wish)

To visit: Downtown - a neighborhood in flux that is 1,000% better than 10 years ago. Lots of change for the better.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 214,027 times
Wow... im a little concerned about what kind of demographic visits this board from the area listed above. I've lived in LA for 15 years and would never live in Malibu, Miricle Mile, or West Hollywood. I now its just a preference but these places lack the artistic heart and soul that is fading away so quickly in LA. I just dont want people relocating to think that these areas are really all LA has to offer. Weho is gentrified, overrated, expensive, snotty, and for lack of a better word... fake (sorry). Whats left of the REAL people with breathing hearts and souls live in:

SILVERLAKE: bohemian, trendy, coffee shop laced streets. without question the most FASHIONABLE people live here. NEWSFLASH!!!: you dont have to shop in Sunset Strip, Beverly Center, or Rodeo Drive to know fashion. the people in silverlake get that.

Los Feliz: block by block Los Feliz varies. its very diverse with areas like Little Armenia, Thai Town, and a very upper class area surrounding Griffith Park which is walking distance for most Los Feliz residents. There are lot of trendy shops in the "village" area off vermont. this area is also blocks from silverlake (see above)

Hollywood: From east to west Hollywood becomes more gentrified I live in the Theatre Row area of Hollywood and love it. ive been here for 7 years. Its extremely central 5 mins to shops on melrose 10 minute drive to Miracle Mile or Beverly Center. 7 minutes to The Grove, 2 minutes to Larchmont (which i never go to) I feel like I live in a safe area (just between sm/melrose) and yet I'm not frightened to go the supermarket without an abercrombie outfit on and my hair undone. I can walk to hancock park if i need to know that rich people are living walking distance away. and yet its not uncommon to see one of my neighbors painting an original artwork on their porch or a mom walking her dog and child in strooler aith Starbucks in-hand.

One of my favorite up and coming areas is the MId City area just south of Miricle Mile with Beverly Hills just west of there some high end influence is spilling over and the posh has been forced to mix with the artsy and the results have been interesting.

Echo Park is on its way. with Silverlake just west of it becomeing more expensive the original silverlake residents are moving east to preserve their bohemian-ness. Echo Park with be the next Silverlake without question. I especially love the area hidden near Elysian Park! hilly and tucked away this is one of my favorite potential areas in the whole city. I can easily see this area going the way of Los Feliz.

Although I wouldnt live there because of location. South LA ,contrary to popular belief, has some of the nicest actual neighborhoods in LA. turn off of one of the major streets (crenshaw, arlington etc.. ) and you would not believe what hidden back there. BEAUTIFUL homes, pristine streets, Hilly roads etc... This area is not void of ethnicity which for some on this board tends to determine favorable areas and there are crime friendly "pockets" but because LA is not a public transit city you are unlikely to experience anything you werent intending to if you simply dont hang out in the wrong pockets for no apparent reason.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:23 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,597,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popschild View Post
SILVERLAKE: bohemian, trendy, coffee shop laced streets. without question the most FASHIONABLE people live here. NEWSFLASH!!!: you dont have to shop in Sunset Strip, Beverly Center, or Rodeo Drive to know fashion. the people in silverlake get that.

Los Feliz: block by block Los Feliz varies. its very diverse with areas like Little Armenia, Thai Town, and a very upper class area surrounding Griffith Park which is walking distance for most Los Feliz residents. There are lot of trendy shops in the "village" area off vermont. this area is also blocks from silverlake (see above)

Hollywood: From east to west Hollywood becomes more gentrified I live in the Theatre Row area of Hollywood and love it. ive been here for 7 years. Its extremely central 5 mins to shops on melrose 10 minute drive to Miracle Mile or Beverly Center. 7 minutes to The Grove, 2 minutes to Larchmont (which i never go to) I feel like I live in a safe area (just between sm/melrose) and yet I'm not frightened to go the supermarket without an abercrombie outfit on and my hair undone. I can walk to hancock park if i need to know that rich people are living walking distance away. and yet its not uncommon to see one of my neighbors painting an original artwork on their porch or a mom walking her dog and child in strooler aith Starbucks in-hand.

One of my favorite up and coming areas is the MId City area just south of Miricle Mile with Beverly Hills just west of there some high end influence is spilling over and the posh has been forced to mix with the artsy and the results have been interesting.

Echo Park is on its way. with Silverlake just west of it becomeing more expensive the original silverlake residents are moving east to preserve their bohemian-ness. Echo Park with be the next Silverlake without question. I especially love the area hidden near Elysian Park! hilly and tucked away this is one of my favorite potential areas in the whole city. I can easily see this area going the way of Los Feliz.
I completely agree with your post. I'll take Silver Lake any day over Bel Air or Porter Ranch.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 PM

147 posts, read 381,813 times
There are only three places in the entire L.A. basin I enjoy on a consistant basis, the Angeles Crest Hwy, the Rainbow Village in Long Beach, and the Pomona Raceway and it's Winternationals, Finals, and NHRA museum.

The Banning House in Wilmington is cool too.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,988,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyc3 View Post
Anybody who lives, or has ever lived in Los Angeles, what are your favorite LA neighborhoods and why?
I love Miracle Mile and West Hollywood. I find these two areas to be very diverse and in walking distance to many things. The less driving the better I believe.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I completely agree with your post. I'll take Silver Lake any day over Bel Air or Porter Ranch.
Same here. Of the areas Fleet named as his faves, NONE would be on my list of fave areas. The one that would be the LEAST bad to me would be Beverly Hills, and other than the schools issue there's really nothing that BH offers that can't be found in the adjacent areas like the Fairfax District or Miracle Mile which will go for (somewhat) less money, or even WeHo which is pretty close in prices of rents to BH. For rich hoods one can't really beat Los Feliz, Hancock Park, or Silver Lake (much of which could be considered a rich hood nowadays....AGAIN....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles