Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:40 AM

153 posts, read 288,020 times

Advertisements

Do you drink it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,387,016 times
It's safe and fine. Everyone uses it to brush teeth and rinse their mouths, take showers, give it to dogs to drink, fill water kettles for tea/coffee, or spaghetti noodles, washing plates/utensils to later eat off of, and any other uses that results in even one drop entering your body. If it was dangerous, many of us would be sick/dead. They put chems in it so it has a weird aftertaste to me. I myself get drinking water from local water place down the street mostly cuz it taste better and 25 cents. Used to do the Brita filters but cracked the plastic jug and didnt want to pay for replacement. Fridge filters were very expensive to replace, so limit that. I buy bottled water when it's on sale in those 24 packs and use it when i go out. But the list above just water from the tap.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:02 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ Betti View Post
of course not, los angeles tap water is disgusting. it has a vile, nasty taste, that's proof something's seriously wrong.

you have to remember, ladwp only guarantees the purity of the water *before* it gets into the system.

by the time it comes out of the faucet in your home, it has picked up a bunch of vile stuff.

i'd rate it somewhere between medical waste and raw sewage, in terms of safety. i wouldn't drink it for all the tea in china.

do you know why the water in mexico used to be unsafe? they used to run clay water/sewage pipes parallel to each other. as you can imagine, they eventually cracked/leaked.

it wasn't that the water itself was not pure, it just got mixed up with sewage along the way. the same thing is starting to happen in los angeles, i guarantee it. the infrastructure's in shambles, the bursting of the water mains is a testament to this.

i'd rather take bottled water (yes, i know it's just tap water that's been filtered, there's no regulation, yadda yadda yadda). water's not supposed to taste like anything, reliable bottled water companies deliver quality product.

You have the humor of a certain banned member who like to fap at mighnight.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:57 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
depends on your experience and preferences and sensitivities.

I've been to third world countries where you absolutely should NOT drink the tap water (or even open your mouth in the shower), and a few where it was perfectly OK. So LA rates better than most the worldwide supply. Based on the objective metrics of statistical sampling, LA tap water is regularlly tested and reported on, and mostly comes out OK (unless you are prone to conspiracies about Fluoridation).

If you have specialized needs/experience - like you have pet fish - you'll learn all about Chloromides and how to treat the water - else you will end up with dead fish.

However, tastes wildly different if you are drawing from rusty pipes in a 55 year old apartment building (100 years old at UCLA?) or you live closer to the source. Even I reach for the bottled water 19 times out of 20. A little calcium, magnesium and sodium tastes good to most people in blind taste tests.

an interesting study:
Comparison of the Mineral Content of Tap Water and Bottled Waters

Old 08-17-2014, 10:07 PM

317 posts, read 403,648 times
I mean besides the fact that tap water has fluoride in it, a controversial ingredient, I'm pretty sure the water is fine. This is the USA, not some third world country. Then again, I don't drink tap water... It tastes like ****.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:39 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,208 times
I don't know... My neighbors drink the tap water and they have like 7 kids so there must be something in that water.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
In 1967 we drank LADWP water and there was no bottle water sold and everyone drink tap water. It was hard water. However, there has been a great improvement. Today, believe it or not, LADWP tap water is considered the best in the world. Some people's treasures maybe other peoples trash and some people's likes maybe other people's dislikes. Que Sera Sera

Old 08-18-2014, 12:52 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
I use tap water and have a water filtration system on my faucet, and a water filtering pitcher in the fridge. It helps.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 AM

26 posts, read 27,280 times
Ye...NO

I remember as a kid when I was living in Los Angeles, when ever i'll drink tap water my mom would put soap in my mouth :/.

So NO.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
when I'm in LA I only drink and brush my teeth with bottled water, drinking LA tap water gives me diahrreah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: