Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:55 PM

12 posts, read 47,743 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family and I are moving this summer to LA after many years on the east coast. My husband is in the music industry and will be working at a studio in 'downtown' LA. We have two girls (5 and 7) so I'm focused on good schools.

We aren't going to be living large, and I only run a small art business on the side that doesn't bring in much $. So........

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than not moving to LA!) for areas that may be decent for us? I'm not worried about ethnicity (my children are bi-racial, black and white) but I am of course interested in a safe neighborhood.

I feel lost because all of our family and friends are NYC/Philly people, and the West Coast is brand new territory for me.

Please Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 AM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
As long as you live in a neighborhood that is safe and has the amentities you like, being biracial isn't much of an issue. Best wishes!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:47 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
would be helpful to know your budget for housing to best respond.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:28 AM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
my sister manages a pretty affordable apartment complex in Northridge (the valley). Of course, there is the commute, but that is just life in LA. One reason my wife and I haven't made the move there from NYC to be near my sister.
Traffic-GAG.
Good luck.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Whatever you do, stay close in. Check out Mt. Washington/Highland Park 90065/90042. They have a good thing going on with their elementary school and it's a really nice place to live and it's not expensive AND it's almost in downtown. If you live a little up the hill you have beautiful views.

http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Mt_Washington_EL/

Old 03-07-2007, 11:24 PM

12 posts, read 47,743 times
We're looking to rent at first; anywhere from $1500-$1800. I'm not sure what we can get away with spending to be living how we're used to living. I've been looking online at the school reviews and am not shocked at the bad reviews for the LA public schools. A little while back we tried to move to center city Philadelphia and I wouldn't go based on the Philadelphia school system.

I hate suburbia but recognize it as sometimes the best place to live for the children. However, are there any children-friendly enclaves near West Hollywood? My husband's studio where he'll be working is on Sunset in West Hollywood.

Thanks for your replys!

Old 03-08-2007, 07:29 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,336,051 times
Addition to our PM's: Craigslist is your friend when looking for rentals, Westside Rentals is not.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa from Philly View Post
We're looking to rent at first; anywhere from $1500-$1800. I'm not sure what we can get away with spending to be living how we're used to living. I've been looking online at the school reviews and am not shocked at the bad reviews for the LA public schools. A little while back we tried to move to center city Philadelphia and I wouldn't go based on the Philadelphia school system.

I hate suburbia but recognize it as sometimes the best place to live for the children. However, are there any children-friendly enclaves near West Hollywood? My husband's studio where he'll be working is on Sunset in West Hollywood.

Thanks for your replys!
WeHo: nice part of town but unfortunately it's in LAUSD, although admittedly the elementary schools aren't as bad as the middle and high schools. Otherwise I don't see it as being particularly child-unfriendly. Beverly Hills which has its own school district is next to WeHo, their schools are quite good. Culver City's schools aren't as good as they used to be but they're still MUCH better than LAUSD (except for some of the charters and magnets, LAUSD is the worst).

To the poster who recommended Highland Park: I wouldn't recommend that area for mixed race people, considering that area has been one of the major spots for racially motivated gang violence and is home to the "Avenues" gang who are being tried on hate crime charges. It's not a particularly welcoming area for outsiders, period.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:26 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Lisa, LA is a very large and diverse city. There are many places you could consider, but since your husband will be working downtown, you should stay as close in town as possible. My suggestion of areas you might consider include: Fairfax/Miracle Mile (The Grove, Farmers Market, Park LaBrea area), Pasadena, Studio City, Valley Village, Sherman Oaks, West LA (area along/near Wilshire Blvd. west of 405 Fwy.), Culver City, Fox Hills, Los Feliz, Burbank, Glendale. You should be able to find something in your price range in these areas.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:14 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Lisa,
I grew up about an hour from Philly, in South Jersey. First off, the biracial thing is a non issue here. One of the few things I love about LA is the cultural diversity, i.e people and food. I'm in a mixed marriage myself, the son of an immigrant and the husband of one. For me LA is waaaaaay to liberal, bigotry is very common here, it's just not racial it's religious and political.

For me childrens safety and education should be #1. I've lived in Burbank for almost 9 years and I love it. We're in one of the few places where we leave the car in the garage and walk down the hill to the shops, restaurants, movie theater and mall. Ikea is 4 blocks away as well. The schools here are awesome and it is a very diverse town; asians, blacks, whites, hispanics and armenians, lots of armeians. lol

Problem is, like the rest of LA it's pretty freakin' expensive that's why in 2 1/2 weeks we're moving to Greenville, SC. Our mortgage for our brand new home with a 1/2 acre backyard is the same price as our rent for our 1 bedroom apartment.

Seriously though, Burbank is the way to go. Close to the 5, 101 and 134 freeways and 10 minutes from WB, Universal, NBC and Disney. Hiking is right up the hill and a lot of afterschool programs for kids. Any more ?'s feel free to pm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles