Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,818 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are any current or former LAPD that post in here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Nope. No Rodney King beaters on CD today.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:51 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Just wondering if there are any current or former LAPD that post in here....
Are you?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:53 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Dumbest thing I've ever read.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Eff Rodney King

Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificop View Post
For those of you who love Los Angeles and HAVE NEVER BEEN ANYWHERE ELSE, you are delusional to think that every place is like here and that they have the same problems or it’s the same thing everywhere or some other quaint notion that just simply isn't true. I used to think the same thing until I started traveling throughout the United States. First, I had no idea that those pretty pictures of America in Almanacs and other places are of real places. This country's landscape is gorgeous everywhere east of the Southwestern United States. If you are a desert lover, I mean no offense, but our transplanted greenery is in no way comparable to absolute beauty the rest of this country has.

But more to the point, as a career law enforcement officer in Southern California for a large agency, I have had the great fortune to work all crimes including a 6 year stint in homicide. I have been to all four corners of this country and places in between on business and pleasure trips. I’ve spent time with cops in other major, moderate and small towns. Even some Chicago cops couldn’t fathom some of the experiences I’ve had. There are cities and regions in this country (not Simpletown with 5,000 pop or less) that are dumbfounded at what goes on here. I finally figured out what seemed different on a recent trip to Appleton, Wisconsin. It was that the people seemed relaxed. They enjoyed living there, therefore they enjoyed each other, their jobs, parks and downtowns. They don’t live in constant fear.

I think the difference here is that we have a large populous who are nervous and fearful most of the time. You don’t know how abnormal that is until you visit some other city of 50,000 – 75,000 people and realize, life isn’t supposed to be scary. Is any place perfect – NO! But come on, LA and a growing number of its people enjoy the Gotham mentality. Well, this isn’t the movies; Batman, Superman and all of the other superheroes aren’t going to instantly restore order to a place that has taken decades to deteriorate.

The kind of crimes that get reported and printed on the front page of newspapers in other areas, I wouldn't bother to even prepare a press release for here - the local press would laugh at me for trivializing their work. We take for granted and think it is normal that everyone everywhereis wallowing in the same despair as we are; living in fear just going to the mall or grocery store. But it ain't so.

You see, even if you are wealthy and live in a gated community or mansion, you still need a hair cut, toiletries from the local drug store, milk, bread and eggs from the market and (over priced) gas from the local pumps. It is there that the fight for your life, the fear of being robbed and catching a disease from some virus infested goober trying to get money for drugs - they're not going to buy soup. (Try this social science experiment for those bleeding hearts out there. Next time you are hit up by someone who needs money to eat - offer to buy them a sandwich and see how much hostility you are met with. I've done it.)

I'm pulling an early retirement and moving away from Liberal Angeles to a place where family values are important and part of the city/county goals, being held accountable for ones actions is still regarded, school grades are important to the family and the grass is actually green. The only complaint I hear from people or POSTs about the southern region of the US is the humidity.

Point of fact: Humidity doesn't spray paint on walls, sell drugs on the street corner, offer to put your 12 year old daughter in a sex movie, etc. etc. etc. (I'll just have to lather up on "Bug Off" and carry a fly swatter I guess. Not a bad trade off.)
He wrote that I could re-post this. People in bubbles still don't believe he's telling the truth.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
He wrote that I could re-post this. People in bubbles still don't believe he's telling the truth.
Who wrote that? Rodney King?

Old 01-08-2009, 12:56 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post

That may be true, but I think a lot of the major cities deal with the same types of problems. Take a look at Baltimore.. its almost one big ghetto now besides the inner harbor. And from what I hear outside LA city, LA County has some very nice suburbs, parks, etc.

Dabeez, no I am not on LAPD yet, but I am going through the hiring process.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:04 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
My brother in law is an LAPD officer. He lives in Simi with the rest of the force.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 845,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
That may be true, but I think a lot of the major cities deal with the same types of problems. Take a look at Baltimore.. its almost one big ghetto now besides the inner harbor. And from what I hear outside LA city, LA County has some very nice suburbs, parks, etc.

Dabeez, no I am not on LAPD yet, but I am going through the hiring process.

thank goodness we are getting more police since our Gov. has decided to mess with the public school children again. The LAPD will surely be busy in about 5 years when the already failing system is raped once more this year by legislators and the kids that come out of it are bitter and violent for lack of education.

Way to go Arnold. Terminator of the future of children, and their children, and so on.

Hey ! THATS where they got the term " candy from a baby" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles