Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times

Advertisements

Are there things you would like to do if it weren't for the traffic?

Do you try to keep your life within a 5- or 10-mile radius of where you live?

Are there friends or family you don't see often because of the traffic?

In my thread asking for the first five words that come to mind when you think about L.A., traffic was easily the word that was mentioned the most often.

So, how has traffic in L.A. affected your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM

636 posts, read 2,643,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Are there things you would like to do if it weren't for the traffic?

Do you try to keep your life within a 5- or 10-mile radius of where you live?

Are there friends or family you don't see often because of the traffic?

In my thread asking for the first five words that come to mind when you think about L.A., traffic was easily the word that was mentioned the most often.

So, how has traffic in L.A. affected your life?
I live as close to work as I can afford. Traffic affects my life by taking away approximately 2 hours per work day.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,281 times
how has traffic in L.A. affected your life?[/quote]
I moved to NY! Isold my car and take public transportation and couldn't be happier about it!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:20 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,206 times
My job involves quite a bit of driving. The traffic has made me noticably less productive in the past 10 years. I am forced to plan my drives better, but some fwys and roads have traffic from 6am to 10pm and no amount of planning can avoid that.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
When I DO move back, the traffic will definitely keep me east of the 405.

Traffic is the main reason why I wouldn't live west of the 405 despite some neighborhoods that I really like being to the west of the 405 and other neighborhoods that I might not be fond of but which many people here would be.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,090 times
Traffic definitely affected my husband on a daily basis. Although we only lived 19 miles from his work, it took him anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 1 3/4 hours for him to get home. When he'd get home, his face had an ashen look to it, and he was just completely exhausted.

We also noticed that within the last 10 years or so the term "rush hour" no longer applies to L.A. The traffic is horrendous at all hours. It didn't used to be this way, but now there just isn't any time of day when you don't either sit for awhile or move at about 15-20 MPH. Any of you ever seen the movie "Office Space"? The scene of the old guy with a walker passing up cars on the freeway is hilarious--mainly because it's really not all that far-fetched.

Traffic was one of the reasons we chose to leave (along with smog, overall congestion, unsafe neighborhoods, illegals everywhere and graffiti.)

I know some of you who have your hearts set on moving to L.A. may think I'm just exaggerating or am overly negative. What I write is based on having been born and raised in So. Cal (44 years) and (in my opinion) watching it deteriorate. It truly makes me sad, but I don't see a "light at the end of the tunnel" for L.A. It's going to take some kind of miracle.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebagirl View Post
I know some of you who have your hearts set on moving to L.A. may think I'm just exaggerating or am overly negative. What I write is based on having been born and raised in So. Cal (44 years) and (in my opinion) watching it deteriorate. It truly makes me sad, but I don't see a "light at the end of the tunnel" for L.A. It's going to take some kind of miracle.
I used to think there was something wrong with me because I didn't have the patience for the traffic in L.A., but I'm seeing more and more people saying that they've had enough and that they can't take it anymore. It makes me feel better.

I think there may be a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's so far off, most of us will be dead before it's reached.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:25 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
There is a bright side, or a light at the end of the tunnel:

First, things will eventually get better, the job situation will improve and stock prices will go up. You got hammered. I got hammered. We all got hammered.
Second, housing prices in LA are falling and falling; a lot of people think one day LA house prices will approach the levels consistent with the income models. Two years from now may be a Southern California Renaissance.
Third, traffic is a problem if you don't live near your home and you work normal hours. Flexing your time an hour makes a big difference. I still do this even in trafficless Huntsville; start at 6 and get out around 330 (having spent my lunch hour and a half at the gym). Gives me the rest of the day to run an errand or coach my kid's soccer team.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
There is a bright side, or a light at the end of the tunnel:

First, things will eventually get better, the job situation will improve and stock prices will go up. You got hammered. I got hammered. We all got hammered.
Second, housing prices in LA are falling and falling; a lot of people think one day LA house prices will approach the levels consistent with the income models. Two years from now may be a Southern California Renaissance.
Third, traffic is a problem if you don't live near your home and you work normal hours. Flexing your time an hour makes a big difference. I still do this even in trafficless Huntsville; start at 6 and get out around 330 (having spent my lunch hour and a half at the gym). Gives me the rest of the day to run an errand or coach my kid's soccer team.
Maybe I'm dense, but:

1. I don't see how an improving job situation will help the traffic problems.

2. I don't see how falling housing prices will help the traffic problems.

3. I'm lucky, but most people can't limit themselves only to jobs available near their homes. Sometimes people lose their jobs, or want a better job.

I guess if you limit your life to a 5- or 10-mile radius around where you live, it helps, but what's the point of living in a giant metropolis when you do that? You may as well live in a small city.

I'm not whining. I'm just putting up some arguments for debate - although I do believe in what I've said.

Feel free to attack me.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but:

1. I don't see how an improving job situation will help the traffic problems.

2. I don't see how falling housing prices will help the traffic problems.

3. I'm lucky, but most people can't limit themselves only to jobs available near their homes. Sometimes people lose their jobs, or want a better job.

I guess if you limit your life to a 5- or 10-mile radius around where you live, it helps, but what's the point of living in a giant metropolis when you do that? You may as well live in a small city.

I'm not whining. I'm just putting up some arguments for debate - although I do believe in what I've said.

Feel free to attack me.
You're right...I went off on a tangent....however other posts prior to mine did mention these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles