Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm leaving at the end of January. I'll be moving back to NYC after living here for five years. There are no good or decent paying jobs here. Correction: They ARE here, but FOR THOSE IN THE KNOW. Basically for people that know someone else.

LA would have been a fun place if I was able to "afford" it.
Maybe it has to do with the field you are in. I know plenty of professions that are hiring. The problem is that few have taken the needed steps to get into those professions. I work for a hospital system. nearly everyone is looking for nurses, respiratory techs, and others. My sister in law is an Electrical Engineer. She tells us that the field is wide open for someone with a degree. It seems that fields that require a knowledge based credential are looking for people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 02:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
I'm thinking about Portland, Denver, Austin or even going back to the PA area.

I moved back to CA about 2 years ago after living in Pittsburgh for 6 years. I guess I didn't realize how much it sucked here before because I was never really supporting myself at the time (Always in school).

Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I'm thinking about Portland, Denver, Austin or even going back to the PA area.

I moved back to CA about 2 years ago after living in Pittsburgh for 6 years. I guess I didn't realize how much it sucked here before because I was never really supporting myself at the time (Always in school).
I hope you find a nice home for yourself in one of those areas. I know it's hard for graduates, because so many are carrying big student loans on top of everything else.

Good luck!

W x3

Old 01-11-2009, 11:06 PM

268 posts, read 900,024 times
After living like a poor co*k roach in Van Nuys, I moved back to FLORIDA and recently retired at 40.

MY old LA native friends moved to Marin County, Texas and Florida.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Lake Conroe I have noticed that you seem to completely hate California. You lived here for many years and there must have been some good times! I have also moved away and love where I relocated. still love Cali and thats why I enter this forum! Is it the same for you? I hope you enjoyed your time in Cali and are enjoying Tx. Please show some Cali love once in awhile!

I'm not a hater; just call em as I see them. Calif has lots of redeeming things to enjoy. Weather, beaches, mountains and tons of things to do.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:48 AM

17 posts, read 98,751 times
I have 2 friends that moved to TX last year. 1 is married with 3 kids and relocated to Dallas Fort Worth area. The other one is single, tried Austin them settled on Houston. Both were born and raised in LA County. Great earners and doing well but felt their were better opportunities elsewhere.

My wife and I are thinking about Dallas or Portland areas. We're doing this for our kids primarily. Cost of living, crime, and traffic is getting way out of control it's ridiculous. Areas with descent schools for our kids start around $500K minimum for cities within 20-30mile radius of our work. Even if we found one, it's probably 40-50 years old for a 3/2 with 1400SF. Even in this down market, homes haven't dropped that much to where it makes sense to stay.

I wish I could say the good outweighs the bad in our case, but it's actually the opposite. I've always been the type to look at the glass as half full, but it's getting harder and harder.

Now if you're single or married without children, than the situation and outlook would be drastically different.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM

451 posts, read 1,324,200 times
I'm thinking many in Los Angeles that move out move to places with lower cost of living. If within state or within Southern California, I think many move to the Inland Empire. Otherwise, I think they move out of state- mostly to other Western States and areas like Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO; Portland, OR.

I don't think many move to the Bay Area, well at least families. I think most of those who move to the Bay Area are young, single professionals because the cost of living in the Bay Area is quite high also.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:01 AM

127 posts, read 500,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I just heard somewhere that a lot of people are leaving Los Angeles because it simply has gotten too expensive and they can't afford it. And with the economy being the way it is, some are leaving sooner than later.

But where are they going?

Where are people in Los Angeles talking about moving to? I'm curious, so tell me what you are hearing.

Thanks!

Woofers

We moved to Arizona for a year and I really grew to like it. Unfortunately the heat was intense and my husband's company closed office so we returned.

We are now contemplating Texas.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM

127 posts, read 500,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I've noticed alot of those that leave LA come to Texas. Once here, they pretty much pay cash for a house and then start a business.
I knew a single mother that did this a few years ago. She sold her home and moved her two boys to Dallas and bought a Jiffy Lube! We were so proud of her - oh and of course she paid for her house in cash as well.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:52 AM

493 posts, read 665,190 times
Portland and Seattle are popular destinations for people escaping SoCal. Your house money goes farther up here, although not nearly as far as it would in the fly-over states. It's a good compromise between RE prices, climate, and lifestyle in the PNW.

I'm personally not at the point where I would move because housing was too expensive...being single with no kids it's more about lifestyle at this point. (Give me a closet with a stove and bathroom and I'm good to go.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles