Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
When I was in L.A. I felt like a total hick. I noticed my own "draw" when I would converse with CA natives. I did speak English though, not that I needed it that much, kidding!
As far as APPEARANCE goes??? HUGE difference! Here the guys wear Carhardt coats, taper legged stonewashed jeans, cheap Wal-Mart hiking boots and bad ass attitude while driving their AMERICAN vehicle.
L.A. guys dressed up to date and with style awareness, but they also all pretty much looked the same too and drive BMW's, VW's, and Honda's. So yeah, different...but the same in a way.
I do notice though in the midwest "faces" all look alot alike and not many people here have "chiseled" jaw bones, we all have round ball shaped faces and heads. Oh, and the styles here are about 10 years out dated.
i'm amused by your observations about how people look in the midwest, because i noticed the same thing. i don't think it's a bad thing, but people in the country's midsection do tend to look very ordinary and very similar. i suppose it makes a certain sense, because the best looking kids in every high school graduating class the country over are those who move here (or NY) to become actors and models. i once saw a woman in upper michigan who looked like one of the OC "real housewives" (i.e., not particularly pretty; just bleached blonde and overly made-up and bejeweled), and boy did she stick out! she was house-hunting, and the consensus in my group was that she would have to tone down her style many notches to fit in up there.

on the other hand, all those hollywood pretty-boy types look alike, too. the first couple times i saw the trailer for revolutionary road, i thought leonardo dicaprio was matt damon.

(LOL at stonewashed jeans, but could be worse: acid wash!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:57 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze18 View Post
I'm from Ohio and have been told I have an accent. I have no idea what I sound like.
Depends on what part you're from? Clevelanders tend to have a northern midwestern accent akin to what you hear in Chicago and Milwaukee.

Some Columbusites (eastsiders, especially) have psuedo-southern accents. Being so close to appalachia, it makes sense.

Cincinnatians have a weird "twang" that also stems from being close to appalachia and the south (unless you relocated to Northern Kentucky from somewhere else, chances are you have an accent) which also results in some people to slur their words more than others. As the old saying goes, "You can go thirty minutes in any direction from Cincinnati and hear a different accent than your own."

When I first moved to Orange County for college, despite living in Phoenix for five years between Ohio and California, someone asked me where I was from because of my alleged Cincinnati accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles