Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 21,200 times

Advertisements

Like other potential LA transplants, I'm turning to the forum for help in my research. In brief, I'm a single professional male in his 40's currently living in Boston, MA. I've been seriously considering relocation to LA for a while. (And with all the snow we've had recently, relocation suddenly looks very tempting at the moment! )

I have done a fair amount of research to identify potential neighborhoods I might like in LA (which are close to employment prospects). To the extent possible, I've been looking for neighborhoods with some of the best features of my current Boston neighborhood:
  • interesting architecture
  • socioeconomic diversity
  • amenities within walking distance (e.g., groceries, pharmacies, good ethnic restaurants)
  • relative safety (i.e., lack of major gang violence)
  • good mass transit options (relative to LA standards, of course)
Some acquaintances suggested I check out West Hollywood during my last trip to LA based on the above criteria. I did like the enclave; it's definitely on my "short list." However, I'd still like to check out a few more spots during my next LA trip. Specifically, North Hollywood and "Miracle Mile" have popped up on my screen, in part due to my review of other threads.

Can forum members familiar with NoHo and "Miracle Mile" give me feedback on the following questions:
  • How do they stack up relative to my criteria above? Is there anything you would strongly suggest I check out in either during my next trip?
  • Can someone confirm that "Miracle Mile" is essentially between San Vicente and LaBrea?
  • Finally, what are the zip codes for each enclave?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide.

M

PS For those of you who know Boston, I currently live in the South End. That might give you a bit more context for my neighborhood search criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Miracle mile is essentially between SanVicente and Highland(a couple of blocks past labrea). It is far safer the closer you get to sanvicente. It is a very nice area and far more expensive than NoHo. It has Good transit options for LA. There is a lot to do within a short bus ride. It definitely meets your criteria of:
interesting architecture
socioeconomic diversity(BY LA standards)
amenities within walking distance (e.g., groceries, pharmacies, good ethnic restaurants)
relative safety (i.e., lack of major gang violence)
good mass transit options (relative to LA standards, of course)

There is no major gang violence there but it part of MM does border gang territory. I have lived near MM and wouldn't hesitate to live in MM again. It is definitely nicer and nowhere near as Hot(in the summer) as NoHo.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:11 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Silverlake (90027) meets all your criteria.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:21 AM

10 posts, read 21,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Silverlake (90027) meets all your criteria.
Thanks for the tip about Silverlake. I'll add it to my list of possibilities to research.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
considering your requirements, I would cross noho off of your list. the only going for noho is the little theater district, cheaper rents, and subway access. besides that, it has the same bland architecural style as the rest of the valley and is much more dangerous than other parts of the city. in fact, a teenage boy was killed this weekend in a drive by shooting in noho. If you can afford, i'm nearly certain you would much prefer the miracle mile over noho.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:56 AM

219 posts, read 608,935 times
I just realized nobody gave you the ZIP codes you asked for. Miracle Mile is 90036 and North Hollywood is 91601. There might other ZIPs for NoHo as well, but 91601 should cover the Arts District. Good luck with getting out of Boston; visited there twice and I see why you want out!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Part of 90048 is also in MM.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i would say, silver lake. but also miracle mile, and if you are a bit more adventorous, hed east towards korea town. and if you are really REALLY daring, try downtown. most neighborhoods between k town and MM are fairly nice, but a bit more pricey.

i would also nix NoHo. its like an oasis. not much other than that. AND youd be in the valley.

MM and the wilshire adjacent areas leave with enough of a buffer between the gritty LA, but still close enough to enjoy the nicer parts of LA.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:57 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw2133 View Post
I just realized nobody gave you the ZIP codes you asked for. Miracle Mile is 90036 and North Hollywood is 91601. There might other ZIPs for NoHo as well, but 91601 should cover the Arts District. Good luck with getting out of Boston; visited there twice and I see why you want out!
91606 is the most desirable part of North Hollywood. This is the part that borders Burbank and Toluca Lake.

As I mentioned before on another thread, I originally wanted to buy a home in North Hollywood in the area bordered by Magnolia to the north, Cahuenga blvd to the West and the 134 fwy to the south but prices were too expensive. Had to choose Woodland Hills because the home prices were cheaper.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 PM

938 posts, read 4,094,236 times
Ok. first of all don't call it "NoHo", nobody calls it that. The only people who would call it that would be the shrewd real estate agents/brokers trying to persuade someone into moving into that Valley hellhole.

North Hollywood has a lone subway stop going for it. Even then that shouldn't be a factor in deciding where you live, as the subway hardly goes anywhere. Other than their small theatre district, the city is rather bland...devoid of any character, interestingness, it lacks anything engaging, architecturally or culturally relevant, no social significance, etc.

Miracle Mile has everything you want, plus more. Hands down this is the most bang for your buck nabe in all of LA.

Miracle Mile has:

A central location offering short drives to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Downtown, the Beach, Koreatown, The Grove, etc. This may be the best thing it has going for it--nowhere is ever too far as the neighborhood is amidst it all.

Diverse jumble of people from all walks and classes of life--it's also one of the few neighborhoods here with a decent prosperous Black population. Seriously, I've seen professional Blacks, Whites, Armenians, Asians, etc around here. Nice community cohesiveness, too..many organizations out to better the nabe, holding block parties, etc.

Eclectic mix of architecture, especially with its abundance of charming Spanish revival homes and Art Deco apartments.

GREAT selection of culinary options and various amenities--we've got it all here.

Last edited by King0fthehill; 01-12-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles