Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times

Advertisements

hopefully the 80s stay dead and never come back, atleast the hair styles anyways. I am reminded of Pretty Woman and A Flock of Seagulls. Please never again!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
what is the "Bro" look? i have never heard that?

as for the long socks. its very 70's, but also very cholo/prison yard.

i think its a bunch of posers nowadays. kids trying to be cool.

my kid just told me he wants "pants like this" (cinching the cuff and calf of his jeans).

"you want tights?!?!"
"no, i want tight pants." he sad. "slim ones" (made me think of slim, regular and "husky")
"like the punk rockers?" i prodded.
" NO!! like the skaters!!!!!"

ahhhhh, ok.

i think its skate culture. but that is usually just a rip off of "urban" culture. its all a bit recycled really.

(Shudders)

An annoying culture that is prevalent in places like San Diego, OC, Long Beach, and the desert areas (Palm Springs-El Centro, etc).

Notice the similarity to old school cholo styles? It's like a mix of Cholo, Punk, Hardcore, a lot of times associated with dirt bikes, skating, stuff like that.

What your son is into is probably the latest skater culture styles. Tight jeans with baggy brightly colored shirts, fitted baseball caps, limited edition nikes. "streetwear".

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-11-2009 at 10:39 PM..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:27 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post

(Shudders)

An annoying culture that is prevalent in places like San Diego, OC, Long Beach, and the desert areas (Palm Springs-El Centro, etc).
Hmmm, I see guys dressed like that in rinky-dink hillbilly bible belt Huntsville. Looks like it is everywhere.

Of course, our dads didn't dig on our long hair, cut off jeans, zeppelin blasting, roach clip hanging days either.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:08 AM

263 posts, read 757,214 times
Quote:
what is the "Bro" look? i have never heard that?

as for the long socks. its very 70's, but also very cholo/prison yard.

i think its a bunch of posers nowadays. kids trying to be cool.

my kid just told me he wants "pants like this" (cinching the cuff and calf of his jeans).

"you want tights?!?!"
"no, i want tight pants." he sad. "slim ones" (made me think of slim, regular and "husky")
"like the punk rockers?" i prodded.
" NO!! like the skaters!!!!!"

ahhhhh, ok.

i think its skate culture. but that is usually just a rip off of "urban" culture. its all a bit recycled really.
I think the "Bro" look is the flat billed hats (fitteds), black t-shirts (famous stars & straps and ect), more fitted pants that sag. Think of the white hip-hop/punk group Kottonmouth Kings.

But, yes, the skaters do wear the tighter more fitted jeans also. Some of them are also sagging their jeans low on their hips.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:18 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Somebody tell that tattooed freak "Scummy" that his f'in britches are fallin off and his drawers is showin.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:58 AM

263 posts, read 757,214 times
Quote:
Somebody tell that tattooed freak "Scummy" that his f'in britches are fallin off and his drawers is showin.
The tats certainely aren't what they used to be! Way back in the day it used to be more of a certain type with tats (bikers and ect). Now tats are much more a part of pop-culture. Look at Brody Jenner...a REALLY NICE LOOKING guy and he has tats and sometimes wears dickie pants with a little sag.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
more co-opted culture. them kids are even throwin up signs!!! i love it. they probably do it from the safety of their gated communities.

thats so funny.

i must say that i might prefer the tight pants over baggy ones. i think. i dont know. i sort of hate the whole look tho. i laugh when i see kids with spider web tattoos. do they even know what that means?

i think a lot of it is prison yard asthetics that have crept into urban areas, and from urban areas into mainstream.

bunch of posers if you ask me.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:23 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I think those pants are cool. Brings back old memories. Oh yea clothes that don't fit right. Used to dress like that then my dad got a job and we were able to buy clothes that fit. Never was into the tat scene. Not too many professions approve that I know of all those tattoos and body peircing. Do those people even work for a living.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,462 times
Am I the last White male in this country who can dress like a White man? Somebody put me in cryogenic suspension and wake me up after all this metrosexual/bro/whatever crap fades away.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:54 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Am I the last White male in this country who can dress like a White man? Somebody put me in cryogenic suspension and wake me up after all this metrosexual/bro/whatever crap fades away.

what the hell does a "white man" wear?

thats got to be the most ignorant comment yet.

please tell me what attire would be specific to the white man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles