Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM

5 posts, read 9,094 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm graduating from Ohio State and applying to Teach For America. I'm having trouble figuring out where I'd like to live between the three cities (Houston, LA or NYC)

I am a black female and I would like to live in a very diverse city (diverse doesn't mean only around other black people but ppl of all ethnicities). I would prefer a large city that has a lot to do, especially for young people. I'm sure all the cities are diverse but is everyone intermingled or are people more separate?

I've visited cities like London and Hong Kong so I can appreciate good public transportation but is it unpleasant to use public transportation in NYC during the colder months? I really hate living through Ohio winters. Also is traffic in Houston and LA totally unbearable?

I think I'm leaning towards Houston because it's way more affordable than the other two. Can anyone compare these three cities? I've read through a few threads and I don't see anything that also mentions Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 AM

396 posts, read 1,723,867 times
i used to live in houston. i much prefer la over houston. maybe my 22 years there has swayed me towards anywhere else, but there isnt much to do in houston, and it's way too humid there.

you're not gonna get much diversity in houston, just white, black and a ton of mexicans. i believe mexicans are now the majority in houston. and people are definantly seperated in houston.

i went back to houston for xmas and the traffic seemed worse in houston.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:18 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Houston

Old 01-13-2009, 09:52 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,085 times
Public transportation in Los Angeles is not comparable to that of NYC: the few metro-train lines are convenient to some but hardly all parts of our very spread-out Los Angeles basin, and do not run 24 hours a day. You may find bus transport depressing eventually as it remains a last resort option. The bike-enthusiasts here downplay how truly spread-out L.A. remains. A quick scan of this forum nonetheless will prove agreement that a personal car is necessary in L.A.

Elementary school education in L.A. is hampered by a great many factors such as a total, scripted teaching program called Open Court. Its one-size-fits-all mandates remain wholly unsuitable for L.A.s' varying demographics, and many teachers have burned out as a result of this program specifically, as those who choose teaching are unhappy to be forced to do wrong by children as this program requires.

If you're aiming for middle or high school, be aware that L.A. currently retains a 50% of the student body drop out rate. This is indicative of the problems you'll encounter, insofar as 40% remain English learners, and 70% come from households in which English is not spoken.

The L.A. school system itself remains infamous for being top-heavy with administration overspending on themselves as self-justification, with little trickle-down to the classroom. My husband is a public school teacher: I know your job will be trying and your dedication is appreciated. I googled Teach for America to determine at which level you taught, and found this horror story! How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million by Joshua Kaplowitz, City Journal Winter 2003 It could happen here as well.

Regarding your other inquiries, L.A. offers plenty for the young person to do entertainment-wise. Your other question is a stickier one. Enclaves are not as traditionally defined as they are in other mega-cities, but blend into one another throughout the entire 10 million person metropolis. For instance, Koreatown, where my husband teaches, retains its Korean commercial district, but its residential areas have transmogrified into predominantly latino. 40% of L.A. residents are foreign nationals: that means that the language barriers here can be formidable. Foreign nationals have myriad media in L.A. catering to them in the languages of their former countries, and routinely ignore the importance of learning English in the U.S. if they ever wanted to step outside their immediate environs. Sometimes folks espousing diversity are used to an educated class of immigrants who assimilate as well as retaining their cultural pride. That's not exactly what you'll find here at all.

Of course, good luck to you, whatever your decision!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:00 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I would choose LA in a heartbeat. Single life in LA is great, there is just so much to do! Skiing, beach, amusement parks, museums, weekend trips very close by, great grad schools should you choose to stay, and great working environment. I know many may not agree with me, but after over 16 years in inner city LAUSD, I think I have a right to my opinion.

Please DM me for any questions....seriously. If I could get my DH to move back I would move in a heartbeat! He convinced me to leave LA and now doesn't want to go back.

Dawn

Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midori237 View Post
I'd like to live between the three cities (Houston, LA or NYC)
I would like to live in a very diverse city
I would prefer a large city that has a lot to do, especially for young people.
I think I'm leaning towards Houston because it's way more affordable
In your field, how practical would it be for you to change cities (and school districts, pensions, seniority, etc) in two to five years if you don't like the city you pick (like, for example, you realized you couldn't afford to buy a home)?
Have you researched each city's job outlook for you? Does any one have a striking advantage?

Do you plan on buying a home? Do you envision getting married and having kids?

Which is more likely to be your life in five years: skiing, partying, dancing, beach, clubs, amusement parks, museums, frequent flyer, bar tab

OR

Mr. Right, diapers, minivan, IRA, life insurance, mortgage?

Regardless of your answer above, which city of the three can support both paths for you?

What is your five year plan?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:52 PM

32 posts, read 94,465 times
I was born and raised in Houston. I have also lived in NYC and actually might be moving there to teach as well. Houston is starting to boom! I lived in Midtown surrounded by bars/clubs, cafes and restaurants and loved it! There is a ton of young professionals living in the loop. Houston is definitely an international city with a lot to offer..as long as you live within the 610 loop. Anything outside of the loop is suburbia and crazy traffic.

However, you cannot beat NYC. The only thing is the housing and availability of jobs. It is so hard to attain a teaching job in NYC. I spoke with a recruiter recently for NYCDOE and he said the market is pretty bad right now. In Houston, you would have no problems getting a teaching job. I would not teach in Houston ISD..maybe Spring Branch, Spring, Kingwood, Fort Bend or in a private school.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:33 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
The education budget in California is about to be cut severely (and already has been in many districts). I wouldn't advise moving to a state that's facing hiring cutbacks in your particular field....at least, not in this economy.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereistic01 View Post
...but there isnt much to do in houston...

you're not gonna get much diversity in houston, just white, black and a ton of mexicans.
I don't agree with either of those statements.

And Houston is very diverse. Huge number of Asians as well. There are two Chinatowns.

Houston ranks 3rd in the country in number of foreign consulates.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midori237 View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm graduating from Ohio State and applying to Teach For America. I'm having trouble figuring out where I'd like to live between the three cities (Houston, LA or NYC)

I am a black female and I would like to live in a very diverse city (diverse doesn't mean only around other black people but ppl of all ethnicities). I would prefer a large city that has a lot to do, especially for young people. I'm sure all the cities are diverse but is everyone intermingled or are people more separate?

I've visited cities like London and Hong Kong so I can appreciate good public transportation but is it unpleasant to use public transportation in NYC during the colder months? I really hate living through Ohio winters. Also is traffic in Houston and LA totally unbearable?

I think I'm leaning towards Houston because it's way more affordable than the other two. Can anyone compare these three cities? I've read through a few threads and I don't see anything that also mentions Houston.
I would not consider Houston because it pales in comparison to the other two cities.

I consider teaching to be sort of a "Public Service" type career, and as such, maybe you should move to where you believe you can make the most difference in the community where you serve/teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles