Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:54 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times

Advertisements

what about Vermont>Beverly>Silver Lake>2>134? Silver Lake doesn't connect directly to the 2, but it gets pretty close, you'll have to check mapquest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:58 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I agree, those streets in what I call "the pits of the earth" is no place I would want to end up getting stuck. East of downtown actually makes the area north and west of USC look like a lovely, middle class neighborhood in comparison. I just want to get all the facts first. It seems like no matter how you slice it or dice it, expect this particular drive done at around 7:00 to take at least 45-50 minutes. Is there agreement though that taking the 10 east to 5 north, then reconnecting to the 110 north, is better than the 110 north through downtown the whole way? That's what my friend's dad who lives in So. Pas. told me, does anybody here confirm or reject that?
if you are ok with taking the 110 past downtown(or dodger stadium where it chokes at the 5) then catch it off monterrey rd, i thinks its marmion. or off of 43rd and griffin.

trying different routes till you find the "one" is best.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
if you are ok with taking the 110 past downtown(or dodger stadium where it chokes at the 5) then catch it off monterrey rd, i thinks its marmion. or off of 43rd and griffin.

trying different routes till you find the "one" is best.
Thanks, this helps a lot.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
From USC take Figueroa thru downtown & get on the 110\ Pasadena Frw in China Town - go thru the tunnels & quickly exit 110 in the left lane to Figueroa again. The drive up Figueroa eventually leads you to Colorado Blvd [make a right on the Blvd into Pasadena]. Figueroa will also take you to the 134 freeway for the last mile into Pasadena. You can also turn right on York Blvd at Figueroa & drive into South Pasadena on Monterey Road. Drive to Fair Oaks & up into Pasadena to Old Town.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Take the 10 to the 710, and then north to Valley, east to Fremont, and on up into the Pasadenas.

The 110 and the 5 are almost always horrible. No matter where you try to use them, they're still horrible.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
what about Vermont>Beverly>Silver Lake>2>134? Silver Lake doesn't connect directly to the 2, but it gets pretty close, you'll have to check mapquest.
If you do this, take Silver Lake up to Rowena (or Glendale, whatever it's being called at that point), turn right, then go left on Fletcher, go over the LA River and turn right onto the 2 North. Then you can work it one of 2 ways: go on up to the 134, or else head east on York.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:29 PM

126 posts, read 365,873 times
Default USC to Pasadena

This is a tough commute. Stay away from the 110Northbound at all costs.
It's a terrible commute not to mention dangerous. If you can get the 710N you will find that it sails pretty smooth until Valley. This is where it's tricky...You only have 2 options up to Pasadena from Valley. North on Fremont or North on Atlantic which turns into Los Robles...When you exit the 710N you will find that turning right on valley then going to Fremont is a nightmare of it's own. Ah, but here is a trick I found. When you exit 710N turn left on Valley, go down to Mariondale and make another left. Keep yielding left and the road will change to Paseo Rancho Castilla. This will lead to Fremont where there is light you can turn left and go straight up Fremont. Fremont is still bad but at least you won't spend 15 minutes just getting from Valley to Fremont and will bypass much of the Valley trafic had your turned right.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaplex View Post
This is a tough commute. Stay away from the 110Northbound at all costs.
It's a terrible commute not to mention dangerous. If you can get the 710N you will find that it sails pretty smooth until Valley. This is where it's tricky...You only have 2 options up to Pasadena from Valley. North on Fremont or North on Atlantic which turns into Los Robles...When you exit the 710N you will find that turning right on valley then going to Fremont is a nightmare of it's own. Ah, but here is a trick I found. When you exit 710N turn left on Valley, go down to Mariondale and make another left. Keep yielding left and the road will change to Paseo Rancho Castilla. This will lead to Fremont where there is light you can turn left and go straight up Fremont. Fremont is still bad but at least you won't spend 15 minutes just getting from Valley to Fremont and will bypass much of the Valley trafic had your turned right.
1. I should have prefaced this isn't a commute. I have a couple of friends who live up there I like hanging out with at night. I don't do this drive very often; and on weekdays it feels like too much of a p.i.t.a. anyway. I just want to know if there's a better route that I'm not aware of.

2. The 710 might be the greatest freeway on earth (or not), but how do you get from USC to the 710 in the first place, besides taking I-10 (or the 60) through very, very slow traffic around downtown (which is most of the drive and most of the problem in the first place)? I don't see how the 710 is relevant given my starting location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles