Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 AM

11 posts, read 40,617 times

Advertisements

I've been to L.A. many times, but only on vacations. As I've been accepted to begin studies at Loyola Law School in fall of 2009, I've got a big move ahead of me and am looking for any sort of information about living, studying and working in the downtown Los Angeles area.

I've been researching potential communities in which to live and find that I like what I've read about Alhambra and the San Gabriel Valley generally. Hollywood would be fantastic too, but I fear its a bit out of my price range. Any info. on what a 1 bedroom apartment in that area would go for right now? My boyfriend is moving with me, so I'll have a roommate, and I currently make $13.50 an hour at the law firm that employs me here in the Phoenix area. With luck, their headquarters in Los Angeles will accept me as a transfer and I won't need to join the job hunt.

Should I be looking exclusively at apartments or is worth a shot to see whether rooms/condos for rent are available considering my hourly wage? Combined, my boyfriend and I can probably pull in $3500 a month working full-time.

If you have time to reply, I'd love to hear pretty much anything you have to say about Loyola, the communities I've been looking at and the experience of living in a city like Los Angeles generally..

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 09:58 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
what kind of neighborhood are you looking for? within a 15 mile drive of your future school there is urban, suburban, and everything in between.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 PM

Default Regarding the Type of Neighborhood I'm Looking For

I'm pretty interested in Alhambra. It appears to be north of East L.A. (where I know I don't want to be) and Southwest of Pasadena, which I can't afford. Additionally, my preliminary research shows it to be a small, heavily Asian and Hispanic community that is approximately 11 miles away from the Loyola Law School - Any thoughts on Alhambra or other cities close to the area that aren't overly expensive (Hollywood) or a bit dangerous for my tastes (East L.A.)?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:09 AM

252 posts, read 960,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg322 View Post
I'm pretty interested in Alhambra. It appears to be north of East L.A. (where I know I don't want to be) and Southwest of Pasadena, which I can't afford. Additionally, my preliminary research shows it to be a small, heavily Asian and Hispanic community that is approximately 11 miles away from the Loyola Law School - Any thoughts on Alhambra or other cities close to the area that aren't overly expensive (Hollywood) or a bit dangerous for my tastes (East L.A.)?
Alhambra is not that close to Loyola, and an 11 mile commute that takes you from east of downtown to west of downtown would be a huge pain. Korea Town or Echo Park would be much closer, and both have reasonable rents (i.e., less than Pasadena). In general, life is more pleasant in LA the closer you live to where your work or go to school, since--as you may have heard--we have traffic "issues."

Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 AM

Default Those traffic issues...

I've heard the horror stories about L.A traffic and while I could never compare the traffic there with what we have here in Arizona, it seems as if everyday that goes by, it gets worse and worse. To the credit of most every person driving in L.A, at least they attempt to where they are going in an efficient and safe manner! Here in my home state we have retirees and punk teenagers who think they "gangsta" mixed with soccer moms who clearly can't entertain their children outside of blaring seat back television sets while she yaps on her cell phone going 50 mph in a 60 mph zone on our freeways. I look forward to getting out to L.A., and am planning a trip in February to check out both the schools I've been accepted as well as taking a look at some neighborhoods besides Alhambra that might be closer. I appreciate the heads up on the directional problem, heading from East to West and that being a regular pain in the a**. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to need all the help I can get!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM

47 posts, read 164,627 times
If you don't have a GPS Navigation system, get one. It's saved me HOURS of time when a traffic jam hits.

Stay safe.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:42 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
How close do you need to be (in terms of time)? People don't really talk in terms of distance, because that doesn't tell you how long it would take. To me, Alhambra would be considered med-far to far from LAX (Loyola area). The nice areas around there are Culver City and places south of LAX (LA South Bay) like Torrance or the beach cities.

Use Craigslist to get an idea of prices. However, I noticed that the range may be large depending on the condition, and the fact that there could be a huge places, tiny places, and luxury places available.

I bought something from a guy in Santa Monica, and his place seemed pretty nice, not sure how much it cost. Although I think Alhambra would be more in the lower price range.

Google maps has the traffic info you can check using the traffic (live or recorded).

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
How close do you need to be (in terms of time)? People don't really talk in terms of distance, because that doesn't tell you how long it would take. To me, Alhambra would be considered med-far to far from LAX (Loyola area). The nice areas around there are Culver City and places south of LAX (LA South Bay) like Torrance or the beach cities.

Use Craigslist to get an idea of prices. However, I noticed that the range may be large depending on the condition, and the fact that there could be a huge places, tiny places, and luxury places available.

I bought something from a guy in Santa Monica, and his place seemed pretty nice, not sure how much it cost. Although I think Alhambra would be more in the lower price range.

Google maps has the traffic info you can check using the traffic (live or recorded).
Just an FYI f_m....Loyola Law School is NOT located in Westchester; it is just west of downtown LA.

OP...I am assuming that you are fairly young. If you are, then Alhambra may be a bit too slow and a bit too family-oriented. There are many areas of Pasadena and South Pasadena that would be a better fit (if you really want the live in the SGV)

If you are more flexible, I would actually suggest that you think about a few other areas: Larchmont Village, parts of Koreatown, Mid-Wilshire, Miracle Mile, Los Feliz, Silverlake, Echo Park, maybe even Downtown LA or Westwood.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM

830 posts, read 2,860,838 times
If you're making $13.50, are you going to be working full-time while going to law school? If you don't, then do you have some other type of financial assistance to help pay for your living expenses?

If you know your budget, then look for a place as close to school as possible. You don't want to spend 2 hours a day driving to and from school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles