Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAdodgerguy View Post
I am renting a half block east of main st. Just wondering how safe it is if I want to walk on the sand at night.
Your neighbors will tell you DON'T go on the sand at night.

Not sure of whether gang activity still exists but homeless and transient activity DEFINITELY exists. For the most part it's deserted but the cops won't be too sympathetic to people who aren't homeless or transients who wind up getting hurt or robbed on the sand. Violence on the sand at night is very real although the overwhelming bulk of it is homeless on homeless (mainly because that's who goes on the sand in the first place at night). And many of these homeless are the runaway segment of the SM homeless,the segment that's most troublesome, most addicted and most desperate.

Hollister is close enough to Venice that some of the major drug activity that goes on at night on the sand in Venice Beach might wind up finding its way slightly north.

If you insist on going on the sand at night use the same caution that you would going into any deserted public park at night in any large city in the world (this is not a problem unique to L.A. by any means) - I personally don't recommend it unless there's some sort of event happening, in which case you'd be OK. Walking in dark deserted areas at night in general isn't that good of an idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A former colleague of mine had a friend come to visit from back east with her boyfriend. They decided to take a walk on the beach at sunset. They were jumped by a gang of about ten males - the bf was beaten to a pulp and made to watch as the gang bangers took turns beating and raping his girlfriend.

That was Venice beach. I stick to the beaches in the South Bay, which is where I live, not only because they are local but also because they are for the most part safe. I wouldn't risk taking a walk on the beach in Santa Monica or Venice in the evening. I see unsavory characters lurking around even in the parking lot by Santa Monica Place in the evening as well - not a safe place for a woman, esp. if she's alone.
The kind of incident you cite would be huge news yet I can't recall such activity reported in newspapers\ TV. There seems to be a need to sensationalize. As others have pointed out, hanging out at the beach all night could result in police telling you to go home. Also, the lifeguards occasionally drive on the beach & I do recall reading about a homeless man who was run over while sleeping. There definitely are homeless drug addicts but gang members running around at night on the beach! They have more important things to do [ie. deal drugs\ shoot at rival gangs] on city streets not the beach.

I used to have friends within one half block of the beach in Manhattan Beach. I can't count all the times we went out at night to go swimming\ horse around\ drink beer & neck. Swimming at night is quite exciting when you can't even see the waves unless there is a full moon. Also the water is warmer at night. Making love on the beach is a must at least once in our lives Lots of people bike & jog late at night along the Strand.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:21 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
The kind of incident you cite would be huge news yet I can't recall such activity reported in newspapers\ TV.
That's because the media does not report most crimes related to gangs because, for one thing, gangs commit violent crimes every single day in Southern California, and two, word's out from the chambers of commerce to ease up on gang violence reports in order to keep tourist dollars coming.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:41 PM

62 posts, read 235,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
That's because the media does not report most crimes related to gangs because, for one thing, gangs commit violent crimes every single day in Southern California, and two, word's out from the chambers of commerce to ease up on gang violence reports in order to keep tourist dollars coming.

That is one of the lamest things I've ever heard. You don't think the media reports gang crime? You just let me know that I shouldn't believe a word you say.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM

62 posts, read 235,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
A former colleague of mine had a friend come to visit from back east with her boyfriend. They decided to take a walk on the beach at sunset. They were jumped by a gang of about ten males - the bf was beaten to a pulp and made to watch as the gang bangers took turns beating and raping his girlfriend.

That was Venice beach. I stick to the beaches in the South Bay, which is where I live, not only because they are local but also because they are for the most part safe. I wouldn't risk taking a walk on the beach in Santa Monica or Venice in the evening. I see unsavory characters lurking around even in the parking lot by Santa Monica Place in the evening as well - not a safe place for a woman, esp. if she's alone.

Around what date did this occur? I will search news archives.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:05 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,419,160 times
Quote:
That is one of the lamest things I've ever heard. You don't think the media reports gang crime? You just let me know that I shouldn't believe a word you say.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
I used to jog SM beach on the sand exclusively at night. This was about 3 or so years ago. Never had an incident down there and used to hit Venice as well.

There are some homeless but that's not on the sand in general. They are looking for benches, cement, and handouts/change. Homeless are the last people to worry about. The groups of kids that think they are in a gang are the ones trying to prove something and even those guys are just talking and having a few beers.

I think some people watch too many "hollywood fairytale productions". You know..roving gangs, Charlie Bronson, animated kids movies with sexually suggestive comments. A weird group runs this garbage and fills minds with so much bs, it becomes accepted reality.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
I have visited Santa Monica on many occasions, and I have walked the beach alone maybe a dozen times..I personally never felt unsafe or nervous; I have encountered some strange looking charactors though..Not sure if people don't mess with me because I am 6'6 and 230 or maybe I was just lucky...Maybe I have just been naive or something, but I have walked many of LA's beaches at night...never ever had any issues other than witnessing some drug activity...

Old 01-23-2009, 02:16 AM

956 posts, read 3,002,402 times
Quote:
Back in the early 90's I used to listen to all sorts of broadcasts on a radio I purchased from Radio Shack, including police bands (which were not scrambled back then), crash units and all (they even had their own tac channel as I recall). In some neighborhoods, it's a war night after night with the level of chaos one would expect out of a banana republic. The media does not report most of what goes on in this city, which I do indeed know as I've listened to what goes on firsthand.

So then, I hope you've learned a little something from our discussion, and in the future I suggest you refrain from calling something ridiculous when you've got a very poor understanding of the subject matter in the first place.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Back in the early 90's I used to listen to all sorts of broadcasts on a radio I purchased from Radio Shack, including police bands (which were not scrambled back then), crash units and all (they even had their own tac channel as I recall). In some neighborhoods, it's a war night after night with the level of chaos one would expect out of a banana republic. The media does not report most of what goes on in this city, which I do indeed know as I've listened to what goes on firsthand.

So then, I hope you've learned a little something from our discussion, and in the future I suggest you refrain from calling something ridiculous when you've got a very poor understanding of the subject matter in the first place.
Credibility is important & only undermines your contributions when you exaggerate & suggest others first-hand observations are inferior to what you hear on your cops & robbers radio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles